Pretty Fly For A Rabbi

Moderator: Moderators

Kevbo1987
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Kevbo1987 »

Nice find, Dave! Now that's one interesting compilation!
Oh by the way, I've cracked the code.
Alberta_27
Regular

Post by Alberta_27 »

Does anyone remember the "Weird Al" contest where you had to make your own version of Pretty fly and the best version won an autographed accordion?
Some people are just born human. The rest of us, we take a lifetime to get there
CatraDhtem
Off The Deep End

Post by CatraDhtem »

Alberta_27 @ Apr 11 2005, 11:59 PM wrote: Does anyone remember the "Weird Al" contest where you had to make your own version of Pretty fly and the best version won an autographed accordion?
Yes, it was a contest sponsored by Yahoo to promote Beatnik's GrooveGrams product, which had the capabilities to do deejay-like remixing right on their web site. The service seems to be dead and buried, but no doubt if it was still around now it would have found an audience with the "mash-up" crowd.

Here is the press release announcing the contest.
All Things Yankovic
http://www.dohtem.com/al" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Can't breathe like that, can you??"

Make the Rock Hall "Weird" - http://www.rockhallweird.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Post by algonacchick »

Wow, I don't remember that. Sounds pretty cool!
4 words that Al said to me that blew me away:

"How's Problem Child doing?" - 7/12/11

So awesome!

Al Team #325
WeirdDana27
Addicted

Post by WeirdDana27 »

Pretty Fly for A Rabbi has to be one of my favorite Al songs, since I'm a Jewish Al fan. I sometimes hear it played at Bar and Bat Mitzvah parties that I go to...it was even played at my friend's sweet 16! It's funny to hear all the references that Al makes because he isn't Jewish, and for some reason I thought Berm was, but I've been told otherwise.

~Dana~
Shows attended:
7/19/03 Mann Center, Philadelphia, PA
5/31/07 Keswick Theater, Glenside, PA
6/25/10 Keswick Theater, Glenside, PA
5/20/11 Keswick Theater, Glenside, PA
6/9/13 Tower Theater, Upper Darby, PA
7/31/15 Mann Center, Philadelphia, PA
algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Post by algonacchick »

Bermuda's last name is German in origin, I believe. Names like Schwartz and Steinberg tend to get mistaken for Jewish. *I know someone named Steinberg, and his name is German, too* People would ask if he was Jewish. That's cool that you've heard PFFAR at Bar and Bat Mitzvahs. 8)

Anyway, I also like PFFAR!

btw, he doesn't like to be called Berm. ;)

So awesome!

Al Team #325
WeirdDana27
Addicted

Post by WeirdDana27 »

I'm one of those people who usually deems someone Jewish with a last name like that...and thanks, Patti, for letting me know what Jon doesn't like to be called. I definitely will not call him Berm if I meet him one day!

~Dana~
Shows attended:
7/19/03 Mann Center, Philadelphia, PA
5/31/07 Keswick Theater, Glenside, PA
6/25/10 Keswick Theater, Glenside, PA
5/20/11 Keswick Theater, Glenside, PA
6/9/13 Tower Theater, Upper Darby, PA
7/31/15 Mann Center, Philadelphia, PA
algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Post by algonacchick »

WeirdDana27 wrote: I'm one of those people who usually deems someone Jewish with a last name like that

It's understandable that you would think that, Dana. It's always good to ask, though. Then, you know. I've always just called Bermuda Jon. Just like Al is just Al, not Weird Al to me.

My favorite part of the song are when he exaggerates the h sound in the words chutzpah and hip. hehe, also, I find it quite humorous that they show a young boy singing the ...gets to keep the tip on the WAY Live dvd.

So awesome!

Al Team #325
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

algonacchick @ Apr 23 2005, 03:10 PM wrote: Bermuda's last name is German in origin, I believe. Names like Schwartz and Steinberg tend to get mistaken for Jewish.
The reason for that is that Judaism is often thought of more as a nationality than a religion. There's no such thing as a "Jewish name." Most of the names that are considered "Jewish" originate from European countries from which Jews fled to escape persecution, including Germany. However, the rest of the population of those countries didn't have those same motivations to head west, so we don't have a whole lot of Finkelbergs in America who are Christian. In America, the majority of the Horowitz's, Klein's, Herch's, and other people with stereotypical Jewish names are in fact Jewish. This conversation is reminding me of another certain parody song....

"Shaaaaaake hands with your Uncle Max, my boy...."
algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Post by algonacchick »

Thanks for that explanation, Jeremy. btw, I have no idea what you're talking about as far as the other parody song. Should I?

So awesome!

Al Team #325