Running With Scissors Song By Song Review

Moderator: Moderators

Yankomaniac
Off The Deep End

Re: Running With Scissors Song By Song Review

Post by Yankomaniac »

Last album in my top 3, probably takes the 2nd place spot, here's why:

The Saga Begins: 10/10 - Amazing parody, everybody knows it. Still, one of the only parodies to not destroy the original. What a memorable summer when that movie came out. And this legendary ALbum.

My Baby's In Love With Eddie Vedder: 10/10 - Absolutely hilarious, great lyrics, accordion and I don't like Eddie V at all.

Pretty Fly For A Rabbi: 10/10 - One of the only Offspring tunes I could simply live without, Al's is amazing, one hell of a parody here.

The Weird Al Show Theme: 10/10 - Best theme song ever. Great Show, watched them as they aired and still today on DVD.

Jerry Springer: 10/10 - What more do you want in a parody, this is what parodies were made for. So well done.

Germs: 7/10 - Least favorite track on the album, still awesome though.

Polka Power!: 10/10 - Amazing polka, one of my favorites. Loved most of these songs that summer, definite Polka Power!

Your Horoscope For Today: 10/10 - Good god, what a masterpiece. Pure gold here, just incredible all around.

It's All About The Pentiums: 10/10 - What lyrical genius, my god, shows Puff whateva exactly how to do it!

Truck Drivin' Song: 8/10 - Not too bad at all, not the best.

Grapefruit Diet: 9/10 - Hilarious but not like the others on here.

Albuquerque: 10/10 - See Horoscope For Today! Plus Jims amazing delicious leads, could never get enough of that blazing guitar work!!
Last edited by Yankomaniac on Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
What a racket they're makin', Jack, they keep me up at night playin' their electric guitars!!
anthontherun
Be jealous.

Post by anthontherun »

"Germs" is a style parody--are you referring to "Closer" as the original?
RunningWithScissors
Regular

Post by RunningWithScissors »

The whole album gets a 10/10 for me, except I would give Grapefruit Diet a 9/10, it's not bad, just doesn't seem as great as the others.
Yankomaniac
Off The Deep End

Post by Yankomaniac »

No sorry that was because I was burnt out. I actually meant to type it is my least favorite original on the ALbum but that it's a great style parody even though I don't prefer it compared to any of the other originals. The review got typed up 3 times 'cause this laptop is misbehaving and deleting stuff so each time the review got shorter, crappier and then I was just making errors. Good eyes on that!
What a racket they're makin', Jack, they keep me up at night playin' their electric guitars!!
Waffle King
Occasional

Post by Waffle King »

1. The Saga Begins. Just the perfect song and subject to merge for a parody.

2,Albuquerque. I remember not knowing what to expect from this song the first time I heard it, and it totally blew me away! It's like having an extremely long phone conversation with Al,that never ends. Some of his funniest "lyrics".

3.It's All About The Pentiums. Not really being all that tech savvy, I don't suppose I even understand what he's talking about most of the time. But a good song & video.

4. Grapefruit Diet. Sort of the spiritual sequel to "Fat". I love swing music and it was fun hearing Al in that genre.

5.Polka Power! One of his best polkas since the 80's! After the Hip Hop/Grunge/Alternative dreck that made up the last couple polkas, there was actually some pretty good pop tunes represented here. Bonus points for including Matchbox 20's "Push". Every time one of my favorite bands makes it into an Al polka,it's cause for celebration!

6.My Baby's In Love With Eddie Vedder. Some excellent accordion work here. I wish Al would feature tracks like this more often. Never cared for Pearl Jam,so it's all good.

7.Germs. Being something of a Germ-phoebe, (Not "Howie Mandell" level,thankfully) I can get the joke. I still crack up with "It kinda upsets me".

8.The Weird Al Show Theme. My little brother was always impressed how Al switches from his "nerdy" voice to his "Serious!" voice during this song. Fun little ditty.

9.Pretty Fly For A Rabbi. Fun song. As a gentile,I'm guessing 60% of the jokes are going over my head,but still very funny.

10. Your Horoscope For Today. Kind of a lessor played track for me. I like the concept of Al having fun with the "horoscope craze",but I never really got too many laughs from it.

11. Truck Drivin' Song. Ditto above. I like the music. The lyrics are a little disconcerting...

12.Jerry Springer. Ugh. I guess it's better than Talk Soup,but that's like darning it with faint praise...
Back off me,man-back off.
Weird Emily
Occasional

Post by Weird Emily »

Saga Begins- 10/10 ( I love this song, is one of my favorites and the music video is amazing)/
My Babys in love with eddie vedder- 8/10 (is a very catchy song, liking the Accordion playing on this song)
pretty Fly For A Rabbi- 12/10 (very funny song, brilliant lyrics)
Weird Al Show Theme- 6/10 (never been keen on this song but it works well with the TV show intro)
Jerry Springer- 7.5/10 (sums up Jerry Springer, funny lyrics as use well!)
Germs- 8/10 ( helerious lyrics, can relate to this myself, not keen on the music but love the lyrics)
Polka Power!- 9/10 (All of Al`s polka`s are amazing, but like how this one is put together, as well as the lyrics and Als singing)
Your Horoscope for today- 8/10 ( Has a Ska feel to this song, good vocals and very accurate horoscope predictions)!
Its all about the pentiums- 7.5/10 ( Not keen on the music, but the lyrics are brillent, and Al`s rapping is cool, i can relate to all the PC stuff)
Truck Driving Song- 8/10 ( this was my first song by Al i ever heard, good music, lyrics and i just love it!)
Grapefruit Diet- 9/10 ( very catchy song, great voccals, and is a great food related song)
Albuquerque- 7/10 (good final song, funny lyrics, and awesome ending song)
YankoSwag 8888
Obsessed
Awards: All of them

Post by YankoSwag 8888 »

The Saga Begins 10/10 Being a Star Wars fan I love this song.
My Baby's In Love With Eddie Vedder 9.5 A nice fun original song.
Pretty Fly For A Rabbi 10/10 I don't know why but I just love this song.
Weird Al Show Theme 7/10 I don't think it works good on an album.
Jerry Springer 9.5/10 I love this mainly because we get to here Al swear. :censored:
Germs 10/10 I love a good heavy metal rock song.
Polka Power 10/10 The best polka. :accordion:
Your Horoscope For Today 9.5/10 A fun up beat song about astrology.
It's All About The Pentiums 10/10 Best song on the album mainly cuz i'm a computer nerd.
Truck Drivin' Song 6/10 Not a fan of country music.
Grapefruit Diet 9.5/10 Another good song about obesity I like Fat better tho.
Albuquerque 10/10 A nice long and fun adventure and his best long song.

This album was hard to review because I love almost the whole thing.
Yankomaniac
Off The Deep End

Post by Yankomaniac »

That should kind of make it easier.
YankoSwag 8888
Obsessed
Awards: All of them

Post by YankoSwag 8888 »

Favourite Song: Albuquerque
Favourite Original: Albuquerque
Favourite Parody: It's All About The Pentiums
Funniest Song: Germs
Least Favourite Song: Truck Drivin' Song

10/10