Why Does This Always Happen To Me?

Moderator: Moderators

mellow weasel
Obsessed

Re: Why Does This Always Happen To Me?

Post by mellow weasel »

I really like this song, but for some reason I didn't realize it was meant to be Ben Folds Five style parody for a year or so after hearing it :imstupid: . I knew Ben is playing in it and I was already familiar with his music, but I thought it's just two buddies collaborating :lol: . Now that I know, I notice the similarities, but it still doesn't FEEL like BFF to me - maybe I'm listening to them too much :lol: (like some Queen fans don't think "Ringtone" sounds like Queen). Also I had this silly hypothesis that Al and Ben are too opposite creatively - Ben makes stuff up on spot, while Al overthinks everything and is a very predictable person in general, so maybe he made a song too tidy and orderly or something... I can't put my finger on it :rolleyes: .
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

Around the time of Poodle Hat, I recall Al saying something to the effect of this song starting out trying to be a Ben Folds Five style parody but it morphed into its own thing. I would guess that they set out to do a BFF style parody but once the two of them got into the studio, the song got away from them and became its own thing of beauty.
Having said that, the opening piano riff as well as the solo are quintessential Ben Folds, as good as the best of his own songs.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
mellow weasel
Obsessed

Post by mellow weasel »

TMBJon wrote:Around the time of Poodle Hat, I recall Al saying something to the effect of this song starting out trying to be a Ben Folds Five style parody but it morphed into its own thing. I would guess that they set out to do a BFF style parody but once the two of them got into the studio, the song got away from them and became its own thing of beauty.
Having said that, the opening piano riff as well as the solo are quintessential Ben Folds, as good as the best of his own songs.
I haven't heard that, that explains everything :). Yeah, the solo is awesome!
LaikaComeHome
Die-hard Fan

Post by LaikaComeHome »

Theme-wise, this song reminds me of First World Problems as both narrators in the song are upset over something petty :P Pretty good song. Lyrically speaking it's funny.
Fan since 2007. Blossomed from casual fan to Algal in 2016. 9/14/16-<3 Mandatory Fun Tour at PPAC
--
Tumblr url is rock-a-noodle for those who want to hmu.
YankoSwag 8888
Obsessed
Awards: All of them

Post by YankoSwag 8888 »

I like it too. This one needs more love