Trash Day

Moderator: Moderators

scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

El beat you to it in the Generic Al Blather topic.
Insert Coin(s) to Continue
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Insert Coin(s) to Continue »

It's so cool they need to post it in two topics. Actually I was about to post it somewhere before I checked GAB...
Cane and Rinse: weekly thoughtful video game discussion. Give it a listen, won't you?
http://caneandrinse.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AlsGal27
Addicted

Post by AlsGal27 »

Yea, the way he parodies Nelly is great. It's so funny. Heck, it's my mom's favorite song and she's never even heard the Nelly version! (Ya know how songs are funnier when you've heard the song he parodies....) Anyway! Great song!
You think I killed her because of the pony remark?!
Deliriously Dedicated

They're playing Trash Day on Mars! Yay! They made a good choice...although I don't really see what it has to do with Mars at all...
Cane and Rinse: weekly thoughtful video game discussion. Give it a listen, won't you?
Weird Alan
Regular

Post by Weird Alan »

The land rover Spirit recently recieved a playlist of songs so as to ease tense minds of the scientists working around the clock to see its success. The play list has been revealed, and guess who made the list of songs?

Below is the Spirit playlist, along with some explanations by Adler for why the songs were chosen. A sol is a Martian day, slightly longer than a day on Earth at 24 hours, 37 minutes.

Yahoo News

Sol 2: Good Morning, Good Morning, by the Beatles.
Sol 3: Oh What a Beautiful Mornin', by Rodgers and Hammerstein.
Sol 4: Hail to the Chief, by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. (Presidential phone call.)
Sol 5: Satisfaction, by the Rolling Stones. ("I can't get no ...", Air bags not cooperating.)
Sol 6: Get Up, Stand Up, by Bob Marley. (Lift mechanism actuated.)
Sol 7: Da Da Da, by Casaca. (Brazilian song suggested by investigator from Brazil, RRGTM student that week from Brazil.)
Sol 8: Soak Up the Sun, by Cheryl Crow. (Laid-back sol.)
Sol 9: I Can See Clearly Now, by Jimmy Cliff. (Picture taking sol.)
Sol 10: Unchained, by Van Halen; Hit the Road Jack, by Buster Poindexter; Turn, Turn, Turn, by the Byrds. (Cable-cutting, backup on landing deck. start turn on deck.)
Sol 11: I Get Around, by the Beach Boys; Round and Round, by Ratt; You Spin Me 'Round, by Thala. (Rest of turn on landing deck.)
Sol 12: Born to be Wild, by Steppenwolf; Rawhide, by Riders in the Sky; Who Let The Dogs Out?, by the Baha Men. (Egress.)
Sol 13: Reach Out, by the Four Tops. (First robotic arm activity.)
Sol 14: You've Got The Magic Touch, by the Platters. (Touching robotic arm down on Mars.)
Sol 15: If You Love Somebody Set Them Free, by Sting; Roam, by The B-52's; Good Times Roll, by The Cars. (Last engineering activities, first drive on the surface.)
Sol 16: After Midnight, by Eric Clapton; Trash Day, by Weird Al Yankovic. (Crew starts Mars day after California midnight, part of the sol dedicated to deleting contents of flash.)
Sol 17: We Will Rock You, by Queen. (First arm activities and observations on a rock.)
Sol 18: Sledgehammer, by Peter Gabriel. (Intended first [Rock Abrasion Tool] RAT sol, though ran into problems later, to put it mildly.)
Sol 19: S.O.S., by Abba. (Objective was to regain contact with Spirit after a loss of communications. We did.)
Sol 20: Baby, Talk to Me, from the musical Bye Bye Birdie. (Objective was to get Spirit to send data. She did.)
Sol 21: Satellite, by The Hooters. (A rousing lullaby for when we were trying, and succeeded, to get the rover to go to sleep.)
Sol 22: We Can Work it Out, by The Beatles. (Beginning debugging activities to get Spirit back to normal.)
Sol 23: Start Me Up, by the Rolling Stones. (Booting in crippled mode.)
Sol 24: Flash, by Queen. (Clearly a flash problem, continuing to debug.)
Sol 25: (You're The) Devil In Disguise, by Elvis Presley, and With a Little Help From My Friends, by The Beatles. (Continuing debug, got picture!)
Sol 26: I Want a New Drug, by Huey Lewis & The News. (Trying yet another recipe for getting task trace, still didn't work.)
Sol 27: Anticipation, by Carly Simon. (Seeing if the file deletes will do the trick or not. They did.)
Sol 28: On the Road Again, by Willie Nelson. ("Can't wait to get back on ...", back to normal use of the flash file system, itching to get going.)
Sol 29: Here Comes the Sun, by The Beatles. (More normal operations, Mars Express coordinated overflight.)
Sol 30: Lean On Me, performed by Club Nouveau. (Intended RAT brush sol, pressing RAT on rock, though activities did not complete.)
Sol 31: I Wanna Be Sedated, by the Ramones. (Very low activity sol to get the rover rested and ready for surgery on the following sol.)
Sol 32: Wipe Out, by The Surfaris, and We're Not Gonna Take It, by
Twisted Sister. (File system reformat.)
Sol 33: Back In the Saddle Again, by Gene Autry, and The Star Spangled Banner, performed by Beyonc. (Back to normal operations, color flag picture on RAT.)
Sol 34: The Laundry Cycle: Pounded on a Rock, by The Bobs, and Bump N' Grind, by R. Kelly. (First RAT grinding.)
Sol 35: Up Around the Bend, by Credence Clearwater Revival. (Intended drive around lander to begin drive to crater. Didn't get anywhere though.)
Sol 36: Stuck On You, by Elvis Presley. (Drive didn't work yestersol -- we've been stuck here for weeks. Drive did work later that sol.)
Sol 37: Proud Mary, performed by Tina Turner. ("And we're rolling, rolling, rolling on the river ...", first long drive, ended up being more than 20 meters.)
Sol 38: Runnin' With the Devil, by Van Halen. (HGA [High Gain Antenna] problem that sol, no activities, song played late in the sol.)
Sol 39: Hit the Road Jack, by Buster Poindexter. (Another long drive -- yes, this is a reuse of that song.)
Sol 40: What a Wonderful World, by Louis Armstrong. (Mars, that is.)
Sol 41: Open Road Song, by Eve 6. (Driving song, though only did several inches of driving to position in front of rock.)
Sol 42: Lift Up Every Stone, by John Hiatt. (Observations of the rock "Mimi".)
Sol 43: Livin' On a Prayer, by Bon Jovi. (Many sols tend to start with our fingers crossed.)
Sol 44: Way Over Yonder, by Carole King. (Heading for that crater.)
Sol 45: Touch Me in the Morning, by Diana Ross. (Touch and go sol.)
Sol 46: Wake Up Little Susie, by The Everly Brothers. (Generic wake-up song.)
Sol 47: Dig Down Deep, by Hot Soup. (Trenching sol.)
Sol 48: Working in the Coal Mine, by Devo. (Working in the trench.)
Sol 49: Coisinha Do Pai, by Beth Carvalho. (Brazilian song played on Mars Pathfinder, played again for Carnival weekend.)
Sol 50: Samba De Marte, by Beth Carvalho. (Brazilian song written by same artist inspired by use of previous song on MPF, this one is a "Mars Samba", also for Carnival weekend. Starts off "Hello NASA!".)
Sol 51: Chariots of Fire, by Vangelis. (Appropriate for slow-motion races.)
Deliriously Dedicated

Yes, this was mentioned in a couple of other topics but as long as the mods think this is topic worthy I'm fine with it.

This is awesome for Al and all Al fans. Too bad sound can't travel in space because there are no gasses so technically nobody will know if it's playing, even if they're a foot away...
Weird Alan
Regular

Post by Weird Alan »

I saw no topics on it, so thus, I figured I would start one.

But as far as not being able to hear it...well...yeah...I'm pretty sure its more for the NASA staff than martians. But you never know, afterall.
Deliriously Dedicated

What will they think of next? :rolleyes:
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

Weird Alan @ Feb 26 2004, 04:54 PM wrote: I saw no topics on it, so thus, I figured I would start one.
I don't think it will generate enough discussion to warrant a stand along topic. Moving it to the Trash Day topic.
Stupidhippie
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Stupidhippie »

Oh, sorry. :dontgetit: I've never looked in that topic before so I didn't know you posted this kind of stuff there. I just figured it was WAY surfin' so I put it here. I'll try to remember to check there next time. :rolleyes: hehe

Stupidhippie Putting the "STUPID" back in Stupidhippie since 1974 LOL :lol:
:stupid:
Attention Michiana Al fans. I will be on Fox 28 Morning show on October 12th 8:00 hour. Wheeeee