"Sequels" on Poodle Hat

Moderator: Moderators

Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

"Sequels" on Poodle Hat

Post by Bruce the Duck »

I don't have the time or patience to read all of the reviews, so sorry if if someone's already pointed this out, but I think there are a lot of songs on the album that could be seen as "sequels" or continuations on ideas from other Al songs, in the same way that "Grapefruit Diet" could be seen as a sequel to "Fat". For example;

1) Couch Potato - seems like a reworked, much more clever take on the Syndicated Inc. idea.

2) Trash Day - this is what would happened after Al's roommate from "Livin' In the Fridge" got married and bought a house!

3) Wanna B Ur Lovr - A more grown up and much better version of "Such A Groovy Guy"

4) Why Does This Always Happen To Me? - This has been pointed out before, but it seems like a sequel to "Good Old Days"

5) Genius In France - If "Diamond Jim" from "That Boy Could Dance" didn't have his dancing to fall back on, this would be his song!

Did anybody else notice this?

Jeremy
ktmobile00
Occasional

Post by ktmobile00 »

I think "Why Does This Always Happen to Me?" is more like "One of Those Days."

However, I can see the rest of your connections.

Katie
Katie!
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Re: "Sequels" on Poodle Hat

Post by scottidog »

5) Genius In France - If "Diamond Jim" from "That Boy Could Dance" didn't have his dancing to fall back on, this would be his song!

Did anybody else notice this?

Jeremy

Yup, I think That Boy moved from Montana to France.
rboy27
Obsessed

Post by rboy27 »

I wouldn't call it a sequal but when I first heard Hardware Store, I IMEDIATELY thought of "That's Your Horriscope for Today". They are both fast songs with an even faster middle verse, or bridge if you want to sound fancy or a middle eight if you want to sound fancier or are a Beatles fan.
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

Yeah, Al does keep revisiting similar themes... but he gets better at it. And some of those similar themes are just so broad they're practically impossible not to revisit... TV is a huge subject. And so, for that matter, is narcissism (or, as it's known around these parts, such-a-groovy-guyism).

I seem to be feeling a little mama-bearish about this. I guess I never quite recovered from reading an old review that dissed Al for always writing songs about the same thing: i.e., "science," as evidenced by "I Think I'm A Clone Now" and "It's All About the Pentiums." Yeah. Reproductive biotechnology and computer science. Same old same old. No difference between those two subjects at all. :stern:
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

Yeah, but at least there's a costume change.

You know something else Al repeats ALL the time? 99% of all of his lyrics are in English. He really lacks imagination, doesn't he?
Marko_The_Odd
Die-hard Fan

Post by Marko_The_Odd »

Well a complicated song could sort of be considerred similar to songs like "Everythign You Know is Wrong" and "Albuquerque" which are a series of strange evnts that really have no point in the end.
KagayakiWashi
Occasional
Location: Tennessee Avatar: Raymond Scott! One of the best musicians of the 20th century!

Post by KagayakiWashi »

You know something else Al repeats ALL the time?  99% of all of his lyrics are in English.  He really lacks imagination, doesn't he?

Have you calculated EXACTLY 99%? You know, some of "Pretty Fly For a Rabbi" was in Yiddish. He uses Yiddish in other songs too. You know, some of Taco Grande is in Spanish only some of it. Then there's Genius in France. Tht has some French in it. And is "Great Googily Moogily" a real word, or is it "Zapanese"? I think there was a word or two of German in "Hooked on Polkas". Hmmmm I guess after analyzing how much "other languages" are used, and the number of songs he's written, I think it's safe to say 99% of his songs are in English.

......was that trip really necessary?

As far as revisiting old themes, "Couch Potato" is more like "Cable TV".
"Ya wanna buy a bunny?"
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

......was that trip really necessary?

Any time spent over analyzing Al's music is never a wasted trip. :biggrin:
stupidsurgeon27
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by stupidsurgeon27 »

QUOTE Any time spent over analyzing Al's music is never a wasted trip.

That would make an interesting college paper. ;) Connections between Al songs.

Now if they only had a major for Alness. I've heard about it for Star Trek. :lol:

-CindyBob