Poodle Hat Chart Watch (was: Predictions... Billboard)

Moderator: Moderators

scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

Geez, maybe Al should come onstage in a suit made out of the CDs of the current tour and do a little "if you liked the concert, you'll love the new album" speech.
algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Post by algonacchick »

hehe, really! I can't believe that even the casual fans don't know about Poodle Hat by now!

Patti
4 words that Al said to me that blew me away:

"How's Problem Child doing?" - 7/12/11

So awesome!

Al Team #325
stupidsurgeon27
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by stupidsurgeon27 »

Actually, some do, though they can't name the album off by name. When I did my speech on Al in Public Speaking, quite a few people knew that Al had Poodle Hat out.

-CindyBob
"Mr. Kim, we're Starfleet officers. Weird is just part of the job." -Captain Janeway
CatraDhtem
Off The Deep End

Post by CatraDhtem »

Kevbo1987 @ Mar 16 2004, 10:30 AM wrote: You'd be surprised! When I wore my Poodle Hat shirt to school, I had a lot of people coming up to me saying that they were huge fans of Al, and then they would all say that they wished he would come out with something new. They had no idea about PH. One guy sitting behind me at the Cleveland concert said he had been an Al fan since 1983, and he just saw an ad for the concert and decided to go. He had no idea there was a new album.
I know what you mean. Some people seem to be Al fans only if he ever comes up in conversation..."fan by convenience" I guess would be the proper phrase.

I know I've told this story before, but I always remember standing in the hotel elevator at the first ALCON when this elderly couple next to me asked me about all the people in Hawaiian shirts.

"We're all here for a 'Weird Al' Yankovic fan convention," I answered.
"Who?"
"'Weird Al' Yankovic. He does parodies of popular rock songs."
"What songs has he done?"
"Oh, he did songs called 'Like a Surgeon,' 'Amish Paradise'..."
>blank stare<
"'Another One Rides the Bus'...?"
>blank stare<
"(Sigh) He did the song 'Eat It.'"
"Oh! Oh! Oh, I like him!"

Granted they were older and probably missed getting into Al's music by about two decades, still I've always gotten a kick out of that conversation.
All Things Yankovic
http://www.dohtem.com/al" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Can't breathe like that, can you??"

Make the Rock Hall "Weird" - http://www.rockhallweird.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Genius in Maine
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Genius in Maine »

CatraDhtem @ Mar 16 2004, 08:01 PM wrote: I know what you mean. Some people seem to be Al fans only if he ever comes up in conversation..."fan by convenience" I guess would be the proper phrase.
I have known several such people. I'm not sure if 'fan' is that adequate of a term, since the ones I have known are definitely not fans! I think the only Al music they know is from CDs I let them listen to.
http://www.last.fm/user/geniusinmaine" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kidcid
Obsessed

Post by kidcid »

I have to admit I have been like that in the past - Before Alapalooza I would only think about Al when I would get a new album or see a video - I snapped during Alapolooza - and then 2 1/2 years ago when I finally got the internet I really went "off the deep end"!!!
Cid
%
Driew_La_27
Be jealous.
Awards: Best Signature

Post by Driew_La_27 »

scottidog @ Mar 16 2004, 07:27 AM wrote: Patti, I hadn't gotten that far when I was replying to CD's post.
Well maybe you should READ THE WHOLE topic and then post. :rolleyes:
In hiding since 2010
Teh Dingo
Be jealous.
Awards: YOU'RE EITHER PANTSLESS OR YOU'RE AGAINST US

Re: Poodle Hat Chart Watch (was: Predictions... Billboard)

Post by Teh Dingo »

Yeah, that's right, it's back, baby!

Need to fill that gaping hole in your Al collection? Wanna help Poodle Hat finally get that gold record Al so desperately needs?

Amazon is offering an MP3 download of Poodle Hat for the low, low, low, low measly sum of five dollars for June!

Won't you help this poor, starving animal? *plays some Sarah McLachlan to tug at your heart strings*
You have quickly thought up such matchless phrase?
CatraDhtem
Off The Deep End

Post by CatraDhtem »

the Dingo wrote:Wanna help Poodle Hat finally get that gold record Al so desperately needs?
Well, according to Soundscan it's been eligible for a Gold Record for almost two years now (as BHD has also been to go Double Platinum), but it doesn't look as if Jive has ordered a new RIAA count of Al's catalog since early 2008...but yes, every little bit helps.
All Things Yankovic
http://www.dohtem.com/al" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Can't breathe like that, can you??"

Make the Rock Hall "Weird" - http://www.rockhallweird.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Way_Moby
Obsessed

Post by Way_Moby »

CatraDhtem wrote:Well, according to Soundscan it's been eligible for a Gold Record for almost two years now (as BHD has also been to go Double Platinum), but it doesn't look as if Jive has ordered a new RIAA count of Al's catalog since early 2008...but yes, every little bit helps.
Really? That's fascinating! Are there any other albums that are ready to be certified?