Genius in France

Moderator: Moderators

scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Re: My opinion

Post by scottidog »

From looking at this album, it looks like Al is stearing more towards original songs and away from parodies. This is a good decision, because it doesn't take that much talent to make a parody, and the originals, on this album at least, are better.

How so? It has the same parody/original/polka percentages as before. Not that I would mind an Album of all originals, but like it or not, it's the parodies that sell.
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Re: My opinion

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

From looking at this album, it looks like Al is steering more towards original songs and away from parodies. This is a good decision, because it doesn't take that much talent to make a parody, and the originals, on this album at least, are better.

It doesn't take that much talent to make a BAD parody; a good one looks easy, but isn't.

The originals on this album are really good (I could wish he'd left that "dip" line out of P@TLC, but you can't please everyone) and I wonder whether they benefited from that long delay between albums. While Jay Levey (presumably) and a few lawyers (presumably) were duking it out over Al's next contract, he could tweak and polish and perfect the originals to his musician's-heart's content.

Actually, I wonder about the effect of that on the parodies too. I know they were all recorded this year, but OTASH and eBay could both have been written (or at least begun) earlier-- both the original songs and the parody themes have been around for a while. I'm not complaining about lack of timeliness, mind you-- I really like both those songs-- but I wonder anyway.
Stupidhippie
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Stupidhippie »

I absolutely LOVE GIF!! I love it. My kids love it. The mailman loves it. Just kidding. I haven't asked him. But seriously, ( if we can get serious here) that is one of my favorites on the album. It really is a toss up between Trash Day and GIF. It's hard to decide. GIF truely does pay homage to the late, great Frank Zappa whom I also love! "I may be totally nuts but, I'm a fool!" Oh yeah, I'm a sucker for toilet humor so the poop don't stink line always makes me giggle. What am I saying. That whole song makes me laugh so hard I snort! Well, that's MY opinion about GIF, and you know what they say about opionions. They are like noses. Everybody's got one and we all think the other persons smells. Well mines plugged up right now. How's yers smellin'? :P ( I know what they really say about opinions but I can't use that body part here!!!)

Stupidhippie

:stupid:
kidcid
Obsessed

Post by kidcid »

Well, why would they credit Jon with laughs if the French one wasn't him?? You can barely hear the one before the song starts. Some think that one is Dweezil. Jon, is it you doing that wonderful French laugh? "Inquiring minds like mine wanna know!"

Patti
My 2 cents worth is that during the song it is Al doing the French laugh...but at the very begining of the song it starts with a snort type laugh. I believe that is the one Jon did.

Cid
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

I think you're right. But don't forget the snork right after the bowm ditty part. At 04:51. That's gotta be the credited snork.
algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Post by algonacchick »

Well, maybe Jon will tell us when he has some free time. *which is probably at a premium about now*. I still think it's him doing the French laugh. Just because it's pointed out that he is creditted for laughing, and that laugh is prominently featured.

Patti
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

More prominently than the laugh that is totally solo and kicks off the whole thing?

Although the way it is mixed on the CD it sounds like it's in response to the ee... ee... eeee... thing from Ebay.
algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Post by algonacchick »

Well, the French laugh is louder. I think if Al had done that laugh, he would have been creditted as well. That's all I'm saying. But then again, I could be totally wrong. hehe!

Patti
Dr_Dad
Obsessed

Post by Dr_Dad »

I absolutely LOVE GIF!! That whole song makes me laugh so hard I snort!

Um ... you meant "snork", right?? ;)

Dr. Dad
Dr_Dad
Obsessed

Post by Dr_Dad »

I think you're right. But don't forget the snork right after the bowm ditty part. At 04:51. That's gotta be the credited snork.

I'd be willing to lay down money that the "growww-wok-wok" sound just before "I'm a taco short of a combo plate" is Jon's snork. And Jon's laugh starts the song. Al does the "Haw haw haw" part.

Maybe we shoudl put up a poll until Jon can give us the definitive answer.

And if he's as swamped with all these posts to read as I've been ... it may be a while before we hear from him ... :huh:

Dr. Dad

[wondering what his inbox will look like when he returns from a week of vacation starting next week ... yeesh ...]