Wanna B Ur Lovr

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Wanna B Ur Lovr

Postby JohnnyLurg » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:14 am

Orthography Enthusiast wrote:Best guess is Serbian. Hey, it's a wiki, somebody with better information can correct it later.


I think we've now well established that he is not at all Serbian-American as is often claimed on Wikipedia, but rather a mixture of Croatian-American and Slovenian-American on his father's side.
not to mention the toilets at Madonna Inn
JohnnyLurg
Regular
 
Posts: 284
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:54 pm
Location: California

Re: Wanna B Ur Lovr

Postby Alouette » Mon May 13, 2013 5:41 am

Wow...

I am a bit surprised at the initial reactions to this song. Harshness. o-o
But at the same time... I think I might know why.

Maybe it's not so much the song itself-- the words, innuendoes and the whole 'hey bby ur so hawt I want uuuu' thing going on throughout -- that rubbed us the wrong way,
but it's the fact that it's AL singing a song like this.

Al, due to his working clean and his well-known large fanbase of kids, has always given us this impression that he's this big kid putting funny words to popular music and making us laugh.
Perfectly innocent (OK, for the most part).
He was just a goofball, as many of us knew him since the time we were kids listening to his songs.

Then, in the blink of an eye, as we grew up, so did he.
In a leap between Running With Scissors and Poodle Hat, Al matured, ever so slightly.
We didn't even notice (perhaps until WBUL, hence the shocked reactions).

Maybe it had something to do with his getting married and with a little baby on the way (at the time), maybe it was from aging really really well,
but Al grew up right before our eyes.

The glasses came off and the hair grew long, sure, we noticed that.
Then there's how his voice got more fine-tuned and graceful, how he showed us so much more of his skills at writing, singing, composing music in general, and how he introduced us to his other talents we never knew about, like writing children's books.
But because of what he always did and still does,
I think we'll always see him as this innocent, nice guy with the crazy hair and funny music.


I know, because even though I adored WBUL from the very first time I heard it (not too long ago, even!),
I was in shock of how Al can sing a song like this. I was even more taken aback by the live performance.
I'm sure a good number of the ladies can identify with me when I was so surprised to find myself responding to that side of Al I'd never seen before, or even knew he had.
I was going: "Is that Weird Al?!! Really?!?"
"How did he get so HOT?! W-When did THAT happen?..."


This may be why a lot of fans were caught seriously off-guard by WBUL and found it in bad taste and almost obscene for Al.
If the content of WBUL offended you in the least, it may have nothing to do with the innuendoes and all the naughtiness they hint toward.
After all, you can't tell me there isn't ONE non-Al song you like that has far more mature lyrics and themes that you don't mind listening to, or sometimes even notice. ('cause frankly most pop music today is way too sex'ed up anyhow)


Back when PH came out, and maybe even to this day, we hadn't quite noticed Al is actually a grown-up and can sing about mature things like that, even though he did, as always, take the seriousness OUT of it and make it funny.
And this is how WBUL grows on us and often turns out to be our favorite track off the album someday, which, I notice, happened to many of you here.

<3


don'tmindmejustmy27cents. :>
User avatar
Alouette
Occasional
 
Posts: 62
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:35 am
Location: where the towels are oh so fluffy!

Re: Wanna B Ur Lovr

Postby Orthography Enthusiast » Mon May 13, 2013 6:02 am

I think a lot of the negative stuff about the song was about the song on the album. Once Al began singing it live, opinions changed. :lol: :wub: :inlove:
User avatar
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated
 
Posts: 11156
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Tue Sep 10, 2002 7:58 am
Location: Lynwood, CA

Re: Wanna B Ur Lovr

Postby anthontherun » Mon May 13, 2013 8:26 am

I think my initial negative attitude towards the song was based more on the music (and the length) rather than the lyrics. Which is odd, because I've always loved Beck's Midnite Vultures, but it took me a while to appreciate the music of WBUL. I think the instrumental version went a long way in helping me do so; there's a lot of cool sounds in the mix that aren't as evident in the vocal version.
User avatar
anthontherun
Be jealous.
 
Posts: 17702
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2002 8:41 am
Location: VA

Re: Wanna B Ur Lovr

Postby ipad9 » Mon May 13, 2013 10:37 am

Alouette wrote:Wow...

I am a bit surprised at the initial reactions to this song. Harshness. o-o
But at the same time... I think I might know why.

Maybe it's not so much the song itself-- the words, innuendoes and the whole 'hey bby ur so hawt I want uuuu' thing going on throughout -- that rubbed us the wrong way,
but it's the fact that it's AL singing a song like this.

Al, due to his working clean and his well-known large fanbase of kids, has always given us this impression that he's this big kid putting funny words to popular music and making us laugh.
Perfectly innocent (OK, for the most part).
He was just a goofball, as many of us knew him since the time we were kids listening to his songs.

Then, in the blink of an eye, as we grew up, so did he.
In a leap between Running With Scissors and Poodle Hat, Al matured, ever so slightly.
We didn't even notice (perhaps until WBUL, hence the shocked reactions).

Maybe it had something to do with his getting married and with a little baby on the way (at the time), maybe it was from aging really really well,
but Al grew up right before our eyes.

The glasses came off and the hair grew long, sure, we noticed that.
Then there's how his voice got more fine-tuned and graceful, how he showed us so much more of his skills at writing, singing, composing music in general, and how he introduced us to his other talents we never knew about, like writing children's books.
But because of what he always did and still does,
I think we'll always see him as this innocent, nice guy with the crazy hair and funny music.


I know, because even though I adored WBUL from the very first time I heard it (not too long ago, even!),
I was in shock of how Al can sing a song like this. I was even more taken aback by the live performance.
I'm sure a good number of the ladies can identify with me when I was so surprised to find myself responding to that side of Al I'd never seen before, or even knew he had.
I was going: "Is that Weird Al?!! Really?!?"
"How did he get so HOT?! W-When did THAT happen?..."


This may be why a lot of fans were caught seriously off-guard by WBUL and found it in bad taste and almost obscene for Al.
If the content of WBUL offended you in the least, it may have nothing to do with the innuendoes and all the naughtiness they hint toward.
After all, you can't tell me there isn't ONE non-Al song you like that has far more mature lyrics and themes that you don't mind listening to, or sometimes even notice. ('cause frankly most pop music today is way too sex'ed up anyhow)


Back when PH came out, and maybe even to this day, we hadn't quite noticed Al is actually a grown-up and can sing about mature things like that, even though he did, as always, take the seriousness OUT of it and make it funny.
And this is how WBUL grows on us and often turns out to be our favorite track off the album someday, which, I notice, happened to many of you here.

<3


don'tmindmejustmy27cents. :>


Jerry Springer?
User avatar
ipad9
Newbie
 
Posts: 4
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:25 am

Re: Wanna B Ur Lovr

Postby just2good » Mon May 13, 2013 12:49 pm

WBUL definitely took some time to love. I now really like the song- the background track is great, it's funny, and really well made. :D
just2good
Occasional
 
Posts: 190
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:09 pm

Re: Wanna B Ur Lovr

Postby Alouette » Mon May 13, 2013 7:47 pm

ipad9 wrote:
Jerry Springer?



Ehhh? You mean the song? Why'd you mention it?
User avatar
Alouette
Occasional
 
Posts: 62
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:35 am
Location: where the towels are oh so fluffy!

Re: Wanna B Ur Lovr

Postby JohnnyLurg » Mon May 13, 2013 11:02 pm

Alouette wrote:
ipad9 wrote:
Jerry Springer?



Ehhh? You mean the song? Why'd you mention it?


Because it's far worse than "WBUL." The lyrics include the words/phrases "cheatin' lovers," "cousins that marry," "hermaphrodite," "slut," "crack ho," "she-male," "free-for-all," "stripper," "implants," "lap dance," "slutfest," "trailer trash," "nymphomaniac," "crack" (again), "sex change," "Siamese twins" (they prefer to be called "conjoined twins"), "transvestite," "KKK," "gay Jewish black dude," "sleepin' with" (which is followed by multiple references to bestiality), "bitch," "drag queen," and "porn star." And still you're getting all worked up about a few "subtle innuendos" in "WBUL."
not to mention the toilets at Madonna Inn
JohnnyLurg
Regular
 
Posts: 284
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:54 pm
Location: California

Re: Wanna B Ur Lovr

Postby Alouette » Tue May 14, 2013 12:49 am

JohnnyLurg wrote:
Because it's far worse than "WBUL." The lyrics include the words/phrases "cheatin' lovers," "cousins that marry," "hermaphrodite," "slut," "crack ho," "she-male," "free-for-all," "stripper," "implants," "lap dance," "slutfest," "trailer trash," "nymphomaniac," "crack" (again), "sex change," "Siamese twins" (they prefer to be called "conjoined twins"), "transvestite," "KKK," "gay Jewish black dude," "sleepin' with" (which is followed by multiple references to bestiality), "bitch," "drag queen," and "porn star." And still you're getting all worked up about a few "subtle innuendos" in "WBUL."



I never got 'worked up' about anything, and especially not WBUL.
That's actually what I was pointing out. So many people got worked up over so little.


Funny thing, I WAS going to bring up 'Jerry Springer' in my original post up there,
but I was afraid of the post running way too long.

The difference between Jerry Springer and WBUL, though, is Al was just singing about what's usually on the Jerry Springer show.
I never said Al was entirely, purely innocent, he of course poked fun at stuff like this pretty bluntly.

WBUL, however, was Al himself (as a character, to be exact- "the dude with the really lame pickup lines") directly telling the listener (the woman) all the innuendoes- both subtle and a bit more obvious.

I thought maybe people saw that difference and took it a little bit too seriously, so I wanted to offer a theory as to why it might have shocked them so much.

That's all. o.o Didn't mean to start anything.
User avatar
Alouette
Occasional
 
Posts: 62
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:35 am
Location: where the towels are oh so fluffy!

Re: Wanna B Ur Lovr

Postby mellow weasel » Wed May 20, 2015 2:30 pm

It amazes me how during the live performance (at least the videos that I've seen) everyone seems to be reserved and nobody starts groping Al, singing along to a microphone, etc. If there were some people with no boundaries it could seriously discourage Al from doing that again. Usually I assume that a big percentage of people are jerks and/or stupid and if you gather a big enough group of people there will always be at least one person who ruins everything for everyone. I'm either wrong, or americans have different mentality, or Al's fandom is really special and cultured.
User avatar
mellow weasel
Obsessed
 
Posts: 2088
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:22 pm
Location: Lithuania (Europe)

PreviousNext

Return to Poodle Hat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron