Wanna B Ur Lovr

Moderator: Moderators

KagayakiWashi
Occasional
Location: Tennessee Avatar: Raymond Scott! One of the best musicians of the 20th century!

Post by KagayakiWashi »

I don't much appreciate this song, but then again, I never appreciated Jerry Springer or Talk Soup. You know, Weird Al can be funny without using sexual humor :/
"Ya wanna buy a bunny?"
Ratbert197
Obsessed

Post by Ratbert197 »

Romantic losers like me can really relate to this kinda song. I liked it.
sarley27
Off The Deep End

Post by sarley27 »

Remember, not all Al songs are autobiographical. I think it's a song written by the man of making the worst pick up lines ever.
Work, is play. Tofutti break today.

Secrets...of...the Universe.
syxtfour
Regular

Post by syxtfour »

Ok, my turn.

I have to agree on many parts that WBYL is Al's most controversial song. I also must agree that the Krakatoa line is, in my opinion, a little too risque.

I'm well aware that there are far more offensive lyrics and far "dirtier" songs than WBYL, but I still am a little, how should I put it, surprised. I always felt that amidst all the "adult" songs out there done by so many artists, there'd still be a little place in the music world where we could all listen to family-friendly, funny songs. I don't know, I guess I always saw Al as innocent.

But then again, I've been a fan since I was 12, so maybe its just me. But y'know, I'm not going to trash Wanna B Ur Lovr because I really do like some parts of that song. Maybe I need to rethink a few things...

*re-reads the above message*

Y'know, that's a wee bit too heavy. It's just one song. Maybe the WBYL bashers out there all need to do a little thinking too, because Al saying that he wants to be your Love Torpedo doesn't mean he's going to have his next album come with an Parental Advisory label.
Hey, snowman with a pine cone head! I HATE YOU!
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

Al should write his own parental advisory. That'd be a hoot.
anthontherun
Be jealous.

Post by anthontherun »

Anth... it's fixed. But y'all might have to CTRL F5 to refresh.

Thank you :)

And that's an interesting idea with the Parental Advisory...I've seen one that says "Explicit F***ing Lyrics" and I know Al could do a much better one.
I'm ranking every Beatles song on my new pop culture blog. Check it out!
https://anthonycusumano.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Weird Alan
Regular

Post by Weird Alan »

...what the heck? Sexual humor? The very last thing I thought when I heard that song was sexual humor. I just thought it was a collection of a bunch of really bad pickup lines. Heck...my whole family loves the whole CD. I never rememeber turning down the volume for 'WBYL' *lol* The main controversey for this song is if it is a style parody, and if so, of who? The second I heard the song...the lyrics, vocals, and instruments, I KNEW it was a Beck style parody. It just sounds so much like it...I never thought of Prince when I heard it...so...heck if I know.
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

Ok, my turn.
I have to agree on many parts that WBYL is Al's most controversial song. I also must agree that the Krakatoa line is, in my opinion, a little too risque.
Well, we can hope that it will go right over kids' heads. And if they ask about it, just say that Al was mispronouncing "love." :lookround:
I'm well aware that there are far more offensive lyrics and far "dirtier" songs than WBYL, but I still am a little, how should I put it, surprised. . . . I don't know, I guess I always saw Al as innocent.
Hmmm.... haven't seen the lyrics to "If I Could Make Love To A Bottle" then, have you? But the "bottle" song and WBUL are fundamentally different, it seems to me. I think Al wanted to be a little shocking in the first case-- it certainly comes across as "Hey, I'm not living at home with my folks any more and I can sing about sex if I want to!" A kind of declaration of independence, maybe.

But Al's not innocent in the sense of shockable or prudish. It seems more to me that he knows what sex is for, and sees the absurdities that result when it's disconnected from the things it's meant to accompany. (remember "That goat doesn't love you!"? Yes! That's EXACTLY the problem!) I think Scotti may be right that Al's taking on the "skank factor" with WBUL and holding it up for a little derision. When you get a wholesale delivery of dumb pickup lines, the dumbness stands out much more than if they're delivered, retail, one at a time. And the "lava" and "diarrhea" lines have a "ewwwness" about them that somehow sort of extends to the whole idea of conducting one's "love" life by trying to pick up strange women in bars.

I'm thinking about the story El shared in chat one night about the female fan in the autograph line last summer at the OC Fair who interpreted the free-midway-ride-with-purchase-of-concert-ticket offer very personally, and told him that she actually wanted to "Take A Ride On Al!" Was he shocked? Was he offended? Did he fail to understand her? No, he just answered, "I can't do that, I'm married now."
"Weird Al" has a charisma that's all his own. The awkward, the misshapen, the socially inept flock to his banner.
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

Al should write his own parental advisory. That'd be a hoot.

He can certainly write funny copyright notices, so let's hope he moves into this genre someday too.

Loved the notice on the Home Movies: All tables reserved.
jerrymustbeslaughtered
Occasional

Post by jerrymustbeslaughtered »

Is that similar to The Compleat Al? Because I've seen that one.