POODLE HAT REVIEWS!!!

Moderator: Moderators

Teh Dingo
Be jealous.
Awards: YOU'RE EITHER PANTSLESS OR YOU'RE AGAINST US

Post by Teh Dingo »

Maybe that's another reason for Eminem not letting Al do the video....

He's jealous that Al's killed more people in his music that he could ever kill :D
You have quickly thought up such matchless phrase?
weirdojace
Off The Deep End
Awards: I think I got Best Fan Parody when I was like 15.

Post by weirdojace »

I'm a kid (13 years old), and I hate Wanna B Ur Lovr. I do get some of that stuff. Ick. I'd be embarassed to play it with adults in the room!
Huh... I'm 13, and I don't feel embarassed when I play it in the room with adults. I just don't play it because I don't Prince's style of music... and it's like 6:00 long. I seem to like the shorter songs, minus Albuquerque on Running With Scissors.

Hm...well, maybe I could play it in front of adults. After all, my parents don't mind the Jerry Springer song...
Jebediah
Occasional

to WJ

Post by Jebediah »

Oh yeah, Jerry Springer is more risque than Wanna B Ur Luvr, Weirdo Jace. Just have a discreet coughing fit when he says "chew on your butt"
jphi986

Post by jphi986 »

A few thoughts...

WDTAHTM: Absolutely hilarious. And true. In fact it reminds me very much of when I was about 11, and I was watching some special show on Star Wars (when it got rereleased in 97), and suddenly it got interrupted by the verdict in the OJ Simpson civil lawsuit trial. Let me tell you I was as angry as I had ever been in my life. Needless to say I can identify with this song completely LOL! It's definitely the best original song on the album, and is most definitely in Al's sicker vain of humor.

CP: While I am by no means a fan of Eminem, I really do love this track. Really great lyrics, love the reference to the Osbournes. I can only imagine that when I listen to this track like 20 years from now I'll have forgotten half the shows listed!

EB: Excellent parody. Once again I can defintely identify with the subject (I swear my mom's an eBay addict!). I really hope they do a vid of this song - it'd be a great video to watch!

ACS: Despite what anybody else says about the jumpiness of the lyrics, I think it gives it a hilarious twist - I can definitely see this being an excellent video.

I LOVED the home movies! When I watched it the first time through I almost peed my pants laughing! LOL loved the video of Al at age 42 running in circles!
MY BRAIN HURTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
weirdojace
Off The Deep End
Awards: I think I got Best Fan Parody when I was like 15.

Re: to WJ

Post by weirdojace »

Just have a discreet coughing fit when he says "chew on your butt"

Thanks, I'll do that.
RanWithScissors
Location: New Jersey (but don't let the name fool you...it's actually VERY old.)

Post by RanWithScissors »

Oh dear God i am SO happy with this album!!!! It simply reinforces my belief that not only is Al THE best musical performer we have today, but one of the most brilliant men on the face of the planet!!!

I'm happy with EVERY song on the album (yes, even I Wanna B UR Lovr)

and for those of you who are saying that "Why Does This Always Happen To Me?" is going over the line....

YOU'RE WEIRD AL FANS!!! I THOUGHT YOUR SENSE OF HUMOUR WOULD'VE DEVELOPED BY NOW!!!! :biggrin:
"It would take a man of stone with a funny bone of steel to resist that." - Homer Simpson on "Weird Al"
Lauren27
Addicted

Post by Lauren27 »

Couch Potato: The first song I heard, obviously, & can almost already sing along with it. I haven't heard the original, but I still think it's just a great song in general.

Hardware Store: Oh... my... Lord! That verse... I like to pride myself in being able to sing along with every song I like, & I love this song, but I don't think I can keep up with that. I will try, though :)

Trash Day: Again, I haven't heard the original, but the lyrics are just hilarious. Reminds me of Livin' In The Fridge, which is one of my favorite songs. I have a good feeling this one will rank up there, too ;)

Party At The Leper Colony: This is my favorite of the ALbum. Maybe it's just the 60s/Willie & The Hand Jive sound that does it, along with the puns. The puns...!

Angry White Boy Polka: The only song I'm actually familiar with is My Way (& that's because WWE used it as a PPV theme), but I like it. I'm thinking this is one of those that will grow on me (same thing happened with CP, as I really like it now, but thought it was okay at first).

Wanna B Ur Lovr: I'm not familiar with Prince's style (hey, I'm an oldies fan), but I liked this one. Not one of my favorites, but the lyrics are funny. Actually, the lyrics remind me of the songs used in "This Is Spinal Tap" & I rather enjoyed that movie.

A Complicated Song: Another one that I haven't heard the original of, but I really like it. The verses sound kinda disjointed, but they do make some sense together (someone else mentioned they "progressed in life" & I agree).

Why Does This Always Happen To Me?: Very much like One Of Those Days, which is one of, if not, my favorite... & I really like this one. Yes, I am one of those who cannot stand having their show interrupted for any type of report, news, political, weather... whatever. That's just how I am... expecially if I'm taping the show!

Ode To A Superhero: The only parody that I have really heard the original of. And, like The Saga Begins, this is better than the original. The lyrics are great, but the music really does it for me in this one.

Bob: Even with finding out that all of the palendromes are available on the web, I still love this song. The rhyme scheme is fabulous, & the fact that the verses make no sense coupled with Al's impeccable Dylan voice actually makes it sound right... er, stoned, I should say ;)

eBay: This is my new personal theme song because I think I'm addicted to eBay, although the stuff I bid on is usually related to my current obsession (bid against me on any Perfect Strangers item & I'll chew your hand off! ;) ). I'm think the song is hilarious & a right on parody, which I've heard the original, but only because it's on the piped in music at a restaurant I go to alot :P (This is the only time that I will admit to hearing the original!)

Genius In France: This is an iffy one for me... like Albuquerque, long songs tend to grate on me (American Pie does that to me everytime I hear it). But, I like the different song styles per verse, the "dumber than..." lines (my personal favorite being the "few french fries short of a Happy Meal"). I'm not awfully familiar with Zappa's work, so I'm sure I'm missing something there. I like the subtle jabs at the French ;)

And the CD artwork is hilarious ;)

:listen: :listen: :listen:
...querque!

Post by ...querque! »

Hi everyone. Long time reader, first time poster. It's interesting to see how peoples' opinons vary, isn't it? See what you think of mine. I hope I don't turn into too much of a Simon Cowell.

Couch Potato - A Great parody. He parellels the oringinal lyrics masterfully, and includes some great one-liners. I must say however, that he was not able to match Eminem's prowess for internal and repetative rhyme schemes. Eminem, whatever you may think of him, is a rarity; someone whom Al does not surpass as a lyricist.

Hardware Store - My favorite track. I find that the more difficult the song, the more I like it. This is the one song on the album that I heard and said to myself "I could not possibly do that, ever." That's why I love it.

Trash Day - Pretty good, though not the greatest. He nailed the style, but there's not too much in the Trash that wasn't already Livin' in the Fridge.

Party at the Leper Colony - Pretty boring. Puns are great when spontaneously injected into a normal conversation, but a whole song-full of them doesn't work. Ok, we get it. Lepers disintigrate. Next song please!

Angry White Boy Polka - Middle of the road as far as Polkas go. This one had less energy throughout than the last couple, and a more narrow range of genres. I felt like it climaxed with Chop Suey and never quite got that funny again.

Wanna B Ur Lovr - Has its moments. This one just needed to move along a little quicker. Also, the phallic references were a little over the top. Having to use the "self service pumps" is clever and funny, whereas "love torpedo" is juvenile.

A Complicated Song - Very Good! A solid parody, and funny all the way through. Moving to Alabama in verse two is my favorite part.

Why Does This Always Happen to Me? - Excellent original! I'll say more about this song in another post. I want to weigh in on the discussion about whether this is offensive or not.

Ode to a Superhero - Well done, but not all that entertaining. I felt the same way about Saga. They are ok once or twice, but I usually don't feel like sitting through them.

Bob - Since Dylan is before my time, I am unable to appreciate the styling of this song. As for the lyrics, it's kind of interesting that he did the palindrome thing, but I don't think it makes for a catchy song. I find myself skipping this one.

eBay - We have another winner! This one is up there with Couch Potato in my book. He nails the style and keeps it funny the whole way through.

Genius in France - I kinda like it, but I can tell I'm missing a LOT because I don't know Zappa's music. I probably feel about this one the same way I would feel about a polka full of songs I had never heard.

So my over-all rating? I'd say it's pretty good, but it doesn't top the last two albums.
...querque!

Post by ...querque! »

Here are my two cents RE Why Does This Always Happen To Me.

I think that to take offense at the earthquake reference is to miss the point of the joke. Al doesn't have us laughing at earth-quake victims. We laugh because his character in the song is so shockingly shallow and self-centered. It is unexpected, and therefore funny.

And yes, people really die in earthquakes, but what if you applied that standard to every Al song?

You couldn't laugh at:

Toothless People (There really are toothless people aren't there? This song probably hurts the feelings of the entire state of West Virginia.)

Mr. Frump in the Iron Lung (How dare we laugh at this when there are real human beings in this world with machines breathing for them?)

Christmas at Ground Zero (Two nukes has really been dropped... Lots of people died... Musn't laugh!)

Eat It (I bet there really or other kids starving in Japan!)

Germs (There are people in this world suffering from true hypochondria... That makes this un-funny right?)

I Remember Larry (Killing people and hiding bodies is funny, but earthquakes aren't?)

Like a Surgeon (People lose loved ones in botched surgerys don't they? We'd better axe this mean-spirited song.)

One of those Days (This song depicts burning hair, crashing cars, a cross-burning, a jet crashing into a bulding, a fatal industrial equipment accident, and yet another bomb-dropping, all of which have happened in real life. By your standards, this should be the most infuriating song ever!)

I'm sure there are countless other examples in Al's music of a non-funny idea contributing to a joke because of its context.

Like I said, just my two cents.
MidiboyGregg

Post by MidiboyGregg »

Ok, yes, I do see the point of Why Does This Always Happen to me, and after thinking about it, I too was glad when "War" coverage was over so I could watch my regular TV shows again...I guess it just seemed insensitive to me, but yes, I can appreciate the joke.