POODLE HAT REVIEWS!!!

Moderator: Moderators

freedomfries
Occasional

IMHO review

Post by freedomfries »

Well...I'd have to say that I will always eagerly anticipate a Weird Al-bum, but my enthusiasm may be in danger of waning. I don't remember an Al-bum where I absolutely can't stand 2 songs.

COUCH POTATO - Like a lot of you, I listened to this song, a lot before the Al-bum came out. It still clicks but the whole no video thing is kinda turning me off to this song. Plus take off 1 point for no Buffy reference. 6.5/10

HARDWARE STORE - When I first heard this song, it felt like I was anticipating a roller coaster ride. I was greatly rewarded by the lyrical content of this song. Only Al could make "I'm going to the hardware store." a 35-word segment of the song. And the rapid verse...OMG...it felt like I was headed for terminal velocity there...it just kept going and going. 10/10

TRASH DAY - I'm a mild Nelly fan, but after hearing "Hot in Herre" 27,000 times last summer, the song became a bane for me. Unfortunately, Al's parody didn't save it for me. It starts off mispronouncing Rotten which should have been ROTT-EN not ROTN to make the parody work for me. Although lyrically clever and I somewhat identify with the song (don't ask), it's barely above fingernails on a chalkboard for me. 2/10

PARTY AT THE LEPER COLONY - I tried to get into this song but it just went off as corny to me. It may still have a chance to grow on me, but it just isn't clicking for me. 4/10

ANGRY WHITE BOY POLKA - I happened to have every original song downloaded already when I saw the tracklist so I knew all the songs. Quick point: Al seems to be spending a little longer than normal on each song. The genius of his medleys has been his rapid fire shifting gears. More than once I find myself bogged down in a song before the next one starts. System of a Down and Disturbed were highlights (ooh, and Rage)... 7/10

WANNA B UR LOVR - Maybe it's because he's not a virgin anymore and married that he's getting a little more risque. *wink* I agree the whole torpedo, burrito, etc. was a little more blue than I want my AL. This song has its moments but I just can't sit through it all without hitting the next track button. 1.5/10

A COMPLICATED SONG - Ok, now, I disagree with everyone saying Al is above potty humor. I thought about the Constipated parody since I first heard that song. Although, who else agrees with me that eating lots of pizza would make you have diarrhea, not constipation, but it still works. The marrying his cousin thing was kewl, and a possible reference to that movie a year or two ago - can't think of the name but I think Chris Klein was in it. The decapitated one was cool. Too bad it's really impossible to stand up on any roller coaster made after the 1960s. Still funny though. Being a huge Avril fan helps boost this song for me, the second funniest parody on the album. 8.5/10

WHY DOES THIS ALWAYS HAPPEN TO ME? - I am a huge fan of Ben Folds and this really sounded like a Ben Folds Five song in parts. Ben Folds/Weird Al collaboration = genius. Ben rocks. Al rocks. The song works as the second best song on the album. 9.5/10

ODE TO A SUPERHERO - I tried to get into this song. I tried. I really did. It really does sound like a lame attempt at Saga Begins redux. It has its moments though. It still is better than Trash Day and has some mild replay value and I can sit through it. 5/10

BOB - What did it for me on this song is how well Al hit the Dylan style parody. The palindrome thing was genius really, but was second to his style parody. It's enough to tie for third best song on the album for me. 9/10

E-BAY - Excellent. A good parody of a bad song. It works here, and plus this song lent itself to parody almost as much as Complicated. 9/10

GENIUS IN FRANCE - The Frank Zappa parody was lost on me. Also, I really wouldn't hold it against Al if he did create this parody as a slap to France's recent publicity. The song has a chuckle here and there, but is in no way repeats the success of Albuquerque. 6/10

MY ORDER OF PREFERENCE OF AL-BUMS.

OFF THE DEEP END

BAD HAIR DAY

ALAPALOOZA

RUNNING WITH SCISSORS

EVEN WORSE

POODLE HAT

ANY ALBUM PRE-OFF THE DEEP END

I agree that Poodle Hat was a bit too list-y for my tastes. But it's still good to have new Weird Al, and Hardware Store ranks in my top 5, maybe top 3 Al songs ever.

Mike
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

Okay. Let's officially start the countdown. Just 5 more years until Album number 12!
Has anybody ever told you that you have a really morbid imagination? :P

Well, I certainly hope the next one comes before 2008, but if Al continues in his pattern . . .

Alapalooza

1 year, then

Permanent Record: Al in the Box

2 years, then

Bad Hair Day

3 years, then

Running With Scissors

4 years, then

Poodle Hat

5 years, then

The Yet-To-Be-Named Album (#12)
jerrymustbeslaughtered
Occasional

Post by jerrymustbeslaughtered »

I think this one of his better polkas, especially all of the System of the down songs that was great.

"All" of the System of the down songs? Unless I missed a key point, there was only Chop Suey. I liked the polka, even though I hated all of the songs on it. Seriously, Al couldn't have picked a mix of songs I hate more, unless he included Lose Yourself, Hot In Herrre, and Complicated. Wait...
Teh Dingo
Be jealous.
Awards: YOU'RE EITHER PANTSLESS OR YOU'RE AGAINST US

Post by Teh Dingo »

Hey wait---How come Bermuda hasn't reviewed the album yet? We're waiting! :D
It's really good, everyone should buy it.

I'll never get tired of being quoted by a celebrity!

Thanks Bermuda! (Although it's too late, I already bought it)
You have quickly thought up such matchless phrase?
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

I know you all have been wondering what Scottidog thinks of Poodle Hat. You’ve been losing sleep over it, haven’t you?

Well the Queen of Verbosity is back. I’ve got a keyboard and I’m not afraid to use it. So stand back everybody, I’m gonna express myself.

My overall impression of the CD is that it is a bit of a departure for Al. It seems to me to be more Al and less Weird if you know what I mean. It’s still pretty demented, but not wacky, zany, weird. More grown up. Less cartoony. I’m probably not expressing it very well. Musically I think it’s more complicated and shows off the talent of all the guys more than anything they’ve ever done before. I won’t bore you all by repeating it after every song so I’ll just say it once: I love, love, love the musical aspects of this CD. It is Al and TBITB at the top of their game. They should all be very proud of Poodle Hat. Am I making this perfectly clear? Only one criticism: not enough accordion.

Couch Potato: I am still absorbing this one. It is a brilliant observation of both TV and our culture. I am amazed that humorless candy-rapper boy allowed a parody. It’s his loss that there won’t be a video. You want a legacy Em? How about one of intellectual honesty instead of outright hypocrisy? But whatever. Like I said, it’s your loss. What angers me more than his refusing permission for the video is that he didn’t bother to let Al know BEFORE time and money had been wasted on it. But hey, loser-boy gets to be looked at as a good sport for granting the parody permission AND keep his bad-ass rep by not letting the video go forward. I guess he’s at least more clever than Coolio.

Hardware Store: Good song. This one will definitely grow on me. And good luck everyone, learning the words and trying to sing it. Good thing Al gave us the Kareoke option so we can practice...

Trash Day: This one is gonna go right beside Phony Calls in my least fave pile. It has some funny lines, but just... ewwww....

Party At The Leper Colony: Not as funny without the live intros but still a good song. Nice and weird.

Angry White Boy Polka: Could end up being the Best Polka Ever. I haven’t decided yet. Lot’s of Yankolicious Accordion. Gotta love that!

Wanna B Ur Lovr: I wondered when I first saw the title if OE was going to develop a nervous tic from this one. I think Al did the title that way to tip us off on where he was going with this lovely little ditty. This is Groovy Guy all growed up and spending a little too much time online. There just aren’t enough o’s in smooooooooooooth, are there? Yup, it’s a smarm-fest. And it is one of the Twisted Weird Love Songs, so of course I like it.

A Complicated Song: Thanks Avril for letting Al do this one. I take back everything I’ve ever said about you. Funny, funny song. My neck’s enjoying a pleasant breeze... <snort, giggle!>

Why Does This Always Happen To Me?: Ok, this song is Mr. Pulling The Wings Off Of Flies after he’s been paroled. Sociopathy on parade. This may be my favorite song on PH, but it’s probably too early to say for sure.

Ode To A Superhero: I wonder how long it took El to regain consciousness? Al did for Spiderman what he did for The Phantom Menace. He took a big movie and summed it up with a classical song. And what a song! Piano Man... BJ’s most beautiful song, paired with Al’s to die for voice. Sigh... This one goes in my list of all time favorites, right next to TSB. And I really hope it makes it into the setlist.

Bob: Probably the smartest most subtle humor Al has ever done. It works on so many levels. Parodying Bob Dylan’s vocal style, poking fun at his sometimes obscure poetry, yet the lyrics aren’t just any nonsense. Nope. The whole thing is one Palindrome after another. AND it rhymes. OE, you have to love this one. I think he must have written it just for you! This song is just brilliant.

Ebay: Funny song. Will make a great Video. Anyone want to join me in the Drool Topic for further discussion?? The little eee eee eee eee at the end is perhaps the funniest thing on the whole CD.

Genius In France: I don’t know what to say about this song. I know I am probably interpreting it wrong, or at least not in the way Al intended. With recent events in The World it becomes a pretty political song. I had wondered if this was the “gee, I never thought Al would do that” song. But when I look at when it was written, I don’t think Al meant it that way. Either that or he was being prescient again.

So I suppose the “gee, etc” song Bermuda told us about must be Ode To A Superhero. Gee, I never thought Al would release a Billy Joel parody. Or did I miss it?

I am glad I avoided spoilers. I wasn’t entirely successful, but I was able to listen to PH mostly unspoiled. Thanks Bermuda for remaining steadfast and not giving out info. It must have been hard.

Al, if you’re lurking... It’s wonderful and well worth the wait. And thanks so much for the extra bonuses. The home movies alone were worth the price of admission. Thanks for sharing your talent and warped view of the world with us.

Whew... I’m done. :blush: Now, Im gonna read everyone else's review and then dive into the long awaited Spoiler Topic!
cryofthemoose27
Occasional

Post by cryofthemoose27 »

Alright, I have to admit I was a little freaked out when I first heard the song list, and I was very worried that this would end up being terrible. Mostly because I absolutly DESPISE Eminem, Avril and Nelly. (It may be wierd, but I like it when Al parodies songs I like... :D) However, now that I have it, I love it! Not the best, but not the worst either. And I'll tell ya, it grows on ya- after 27 times of listening through, I lovin' it more and more. =D Here goes.

Couch Potato- Not bad. I don't like Em, and I wish this were more than a listing song, but it's not bad. Pretty good, really.

Hardware Store- AWESOME!!! This may be my fave song on the ALbum. It may not be laugh out loud funny, (although "automatic circumcisers" sure made ME snicker... :D) Plus it's phenomenal- Al is the best!!!!!!

Trash Day- Bleh. I HATE the original. If nothing else this is great for singing when the real one is playing so you can annoying Nelly fans. Definatly not the best parody, but like Couch Potato, not that bad either.

Party At The Leper Colony- Yar... I like it, actually. I do rather love Al's morbid songs. When I first heard of PATLC, I had a lot of ideas, and while the song's nothing like I thought, it's pretty funny. The worst line? "Sorry I was using your head for dip." Not only is that REALLY gross, it just doesn't flow right.

Angry White Boy Polka- Wah-ha! I lurv it. I think this is the first polka that I knew all of the songs in. ^_^ Therefore, it is my favorite.

Wanna B Ur Luvr- I love this- the dirty part is dirty, but it makes me laugh just hearing Al (of all people) saying that. Ooooh, look at me, I've got the giggles! :P "You eyes are even bluer than the water in my toilet..."

A Complicated Song- When I heard the first verse I thought, "Oh man, I hope that's not the entire subject..." And I was pleasantly surprised. I love it minus the first verse. Awesome.

WDTAHTM- As a fan of Al's morbid songs, I loved this song! What can I say, it's hillarious!

Ode to a Superhero- I loved the movie- (yeah, kill me already >_<) So I liked this when I first heard it. My friend hadn't seen the movie, o she didn't get it all, but it made me laugh out loud a couple of times. I love the original too. This is a good one.

Bob- So COOL!! He sounds exactly like Bob Dylan! And even if he did get the palindromes from a website, the fact that they actually rhyme and flow shows he's one of the best lyricists EVER!!

eBay- Wow. I hate BSB. And yet this is a very funny song. I'm afraid I'm gonna be walking around humming BSB. Ack. One of the best polkas on the ALbum.

Genius in France- I have heard Frank Zappa once in my life. I love the style of this song. Not better than Albuquerque, but not bad. Made me LOL a couple of times. Very nice.
cryofthemoose27
Occasional

Post by cryofthemoose27 »

BTW, I never stopped laughing during the home movies. Very funny! I'm very happy with ALbum. :biggrin: Way to go Al!!!
Hope You Enjoy It
Occasional

Post by Hope You Enjoy It »

Hi everbody! First time poster, lifetime Al fan. I got the Dare To Be Stupid album for my birthday when I was 6 and I was "hooked on Al." Now 20 years later, I'm still hitting the Walmart at 7 am to pick up the newest album. Al rocks!

Song review:

1. Couch Potato - This parody is hilarious. I love it when Al does rap. I can't stand the ego of the rap genre, and I love how Al captures that 'tude when he is "laying down the dope rhyme" about stuff that rappers normally wouldn't touch. Good parody.

2. Hardware Store - This has got to be one of Al's best originals ever. Simply excellent. Not too sure about that automatic circumciser...sounds painful. :D

3. Trash Day - This parody really hits the mark in terms of twisting the original song (which really sux). A good solid parody, but not too sure if it holds the #3 track spot (and second parody slot) as well as A Complicated Song could. Oh well, it's still a definite listen to.

4. Party At The Leper Colony - Give the guy a hand, the leprosy jokes were falling off of his tongue left and right. :D Personally, I have a hard time laughing at this song because, unlike other songs where the joke is the sarcasm involved, the joke in this song is the disease. I don't know, it would be like singing a song called Front Row Seats At The Special Olympics where the song went on to tell about all the fun there was to see watching retarded kids being retarded while trying to compete athletically. Maybe I'm just partial since I work in the medical field. :)

5. Angry White Boy Polka - It's Al. It's an accordian. It's a polka beat. It's angry white boy bands. Almost enough of these to fill a complete side of a tape. Great as always.

6. Wanna B Ur Lovr - Well, usually Al makes his albums "young ears" friendly. While this song is definitely not the worst content wise, I just didn't care for the sexual innuendo verse halfway through the song. The song was making its point clear enough up to that point, no need to hire an airplane and write it in the sky. Oh well, maybe it was written for his wife (trying to give him the benefit of the doubt). :bigups:

7. A Complicated Song - This song was just flat out hilarious. Yes, there was "potty" humor, but you have to admit that even that was done...err...tastefully. This is my favorite parody on this album, and that is saying alot because I really love every one of the parodies. In my opinion this song should have been the #3 track, but in retrospect it works well later on the disc after a pretty musically intensive first half of the disc. Did I mention that I liked this song? :D

8. Why Does This Always Happen To Me? Style wise, this song isn't my favorite. Kind of catchy, but not spectacular. Lyric wise it is great. As was mentioned by one poster previously, Al is using some pretty strong sarcasm here. Actually, this song ends up being pretty preachy. By taking selfishness to an ultimate extreme, Al in effect is giving us a sermon on just how self-absorbed and selfishly obnoxious we can be as people. It is evident by the fact that most of can honestly say that we get irritated by the very things that Al mentions in this song. Interrupted T.V., traffic accidents (road rage), and annoying authority. If you didn't like this song at first, go back and listen to it again. If you find that the person described in this song by what he is complaining about is a very annoying and shallow person, then pat yourself on the back; you learned something.

9. Ode To A Superhero - It's still Billy Joel to me..... I love this song! Good job, Al. Favorite lines:

But something went screwey and before you knew he...

Yes, he's wearin' that dumb Power Rangers mask, but he's scarier without it on...

10. Bob - Definitely Dylan. Sung like a stoner, and makes about as much sense as one. I like it as a style parody, but tend to skip it when I'm not in the mood for Dylan.

11. Ebay - This tune is now stuck in my head. I have actually got myself singing it outloud in public. Aughhhhhh!!! :D

12. Genius In France - Great job at nailing Zappa. Can't stand the French. Makes for a great song.

How many gears does a French tank have?

Six. Five in reverse, and one forward in case they get attacked from the rear.

How many French men does it take to defend Paris?

Don't know, it's never been tried.

Sorry, that's enough.

13. Enhanced portion of CD - This was the best for me.

The Best - I loved the bonus mixes. Hardware Store with just the voices is simply awesome. The Home Movies were hilarious. Congratulations on the baby Mr. and Mrs. Yankovic!!!

Well, that about sums up my album review.

Overall, I give it a 10.

Paul
jerrymustbeslaughtered
Occasional

Post by jerrymustbeslaughtered »

For those of you not following me, I am referring to the fight over the snowball when Al belts out "Give it to me, God dammit!!!"

He's stuttering Give It. I thought it sounded like godammit too, but listen closely, he says "Give it! Ga... Give it!"

Now where's that 10 you were talking about?
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

For those of you not following me, I am referring to the fight over the snowball when Al belts out "Give it to me, God dammit!!!"

I didn't hear it that way at all, and I am usually very sensitive to *that* particular form of swearing. Blasphemy just kinda rubs me the wrong way. I don't think that's what he said at all.