POODLE HAT REVIEWS!!!

Moderator: Moderators

LadyKatia
Addicted

Post by LadyKatia »

Bruce the Duck @ Nov 9 2004, 06:46 PM wrote: My favorite is the vocals-only version of "Hardware Store." That's really cool to hear.
Me too! It's really fun to listen to, and it's really interesting to study the compleities of the vocal tracks - as a singer, stuff like that blows me away.
I come bearing a gift. I'll give you a hint: It's in my diaper and it's NOT a toaster.
Big Spoon
Welp.
Awards: - Most Dedicated Non-Spoiler (2007)
- Best GC Thread (2010)
- Best TTR Skit (2010)
- Outstanding Achievement In Fan Parody (Recorded), Shared With The Rest Of The Minor Celebrities (2015)

Post by Big Spoon »

Here's my review:

Couch Potato: A pretty funny song. It was great when it first came out, but it got dated pretty fast. 7/10

Hardware Store: Awesome song. The composition is amazing, the vocals are amazing. One of Al's best originals. Tied for best song on the ALbum. 10/10

Trash Day: I hadn't heard Hot In Herre when I first heard it, but I still enjoyed it. It definitely has some funny lines, but wasn't that clever overall. But it was still pretty funny. 7/10

Party At The Leper Colony: I know a lot of people don't like this song, and I see where they come from. It's the same joke, over and over again. But I like it and think it's funny. But it's still not great though. 7/10

Angry White Boy Polka: When I had originally heard this polka, I had only heard one of the songs before. But I still loved it. I thought it was funny hearing "Angry White Boy" songs set to polka music. 8/10

Wanna B Ur Lovr: Another awesome original. I remember laughing hysterically the first handful of times I heard it. The raunchiest song Al's released, and yet it's not too over the top. Tied for best song on the ALbum. 10/10

A Complicated Song: Pretty funny. I remember loving it at first, but it's impression on me has lessened over time. 7/10

Why Does This Always Happen To Me?: For a song that's the same type of joke three times in a row, this song is as good as they come. Extremely funny and clever. The third verse was a little weak I thought, but it was still good. 9/10

Ode To A Superhero: Funny clever song. The story of Spiderman fits perfectly to Piano Man. Another great song. 8/10

Bob: Another one of my favorite Al songs. It's really funny, even if you don't know that every line is a palindrome (it was one of my uncle's favorite songs from PH and when I told about that to him about a month after PH came out, and then explained what a palindrome was, he didn't believe me at first) Anyways, really great Al song. I'm excited to see it live this summer. 9/10

eBay: Another instant classic Al song.

Genius In France: Really good song. Al does a great job of imitating Zappa's style. Great French-bashing lyrics. Not my favorite, but still a great song. 7/10

Overall: I can easily say that this is my favorite ALbum. I might be a little biased because it came out when I was really sick (in and out of the hospital from May 15 through the end of the summer.) It helped me to laugh and have a good time, and then Al called me in the hospital and I got to meet him a few times that summer. Even if it weren't for all of that, I think it would still be my favorite ALbum though. 10/10
And Peggy
Well, Well, Well
Bob Rozga

Post by Well, Well, Well »

"Couch Potato" - 7/10 - average parody; not really worthy of the lead parody, though.
"Hardware Store" - 7/10 - I prefer the 'Vocals Only Mix'.
"Trash Day" - 1/10 - just plain awful.
"Party At The Leper Colony" - 1/10 - probably even worse.
"Angry White Boy Polka" - 4/10 - there are a lot of bands I enjoy in this polka, but it seems to be lacking effort and/or heart.
"Wanna B Ur Lovr" - 8/10 - one of the best songs on PH, but goes on a bit too long.
"A Complicated Song" - 5/10 - eh.
"Why Does This Always Happen To Me?" - 8/10 - started out as a favorite, but I've come to love the 'Al & Ben Mix' more so than the original. Nonetheless, still decent.
"Ode To A Superhero" - 6/10 - I have a great respect for this song; it is a spot-on parody, but I don't care for Spiderman that much.
"Bob" - 10/10 - gets a bad reputation from the video debate, but overall it's a great style parody of Dylan.
"Ebay" - 10/10 - simply amazing. One of my favorite Al songs of all-time, and thus easily the best track on PH.
"Genius In France" - 3/10 - terrible closer in the face of "Albuquerque."
taste is only something if it is yours.
weirdalisthephantomoftheopera
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by weirdalisthephantomoftheopera »

Barney Slayer, Al called you in the hospital? Awesome!

I think PH is up there for best ALbum. My favorites on it are Bob(It impresses people when I say "Did you know Al did a song all in palindromes?" and because it love his Bob Dylan impression), Couch Potato (Because I loved the original and even though its dated, it makes me remember those song, plus I love the Will and Grace line!), Ebay (It makes me think about all of the stuff people sells on ebay and it reminds me of my brother and how he buys everything on there. It is also one of two Al songs that my brother likes and we sometimes listen to it in his car and once we sang it together. A good brother, sister moment), Trash Day (Another original that I loved and a song that makes me think about my brother's room), Ode To A Superhero (Great original and sounds so much like the original and the lyrics fit well), Genius in France (I love the lyrics and the cool sound effects for it. A good song that doesn’t feel very long and even though it uses the same joke over and over, it has a great strength as a song), Wanna Be Ur Lovr (Okay, what Al gal doesn’t love this song? It has the hysterical lines and Al is singing with a sexy voice. A definite favorite), and Angry White Boy Polka (some people dislike this, but I don’t know why. I didn’t hear most of the songs that were in it, but it was just so much fun listening to hardcore songs in polka form). Well done Al, well done.
"Beneath this pillow is the key to my release...I believe she misinterpreted my intentions entirely."

~Meli
Big Spoon
Welp.
- Best GC Thread (2010)
- Best TTR Skit (2010)
- Outstanding Achievement In Fan Parody (Recorded), Shared With The Rest Of The Minor Celebrities (2015)

Post by Big Spoon »

weirdalisthephantomoftheopera @ Apr 18 2007, 07:09 PM wrote: Barney Slayer, Al called you in the hospital? Awesome!
Yeah, he did and was really nice about it. And then I got to meet him backstage at two concerts that summer. He was a really nice guy about it too. It almost made having to have five brain surgeries in the corse of two months and spending most of the summer in the hospital worth while.
And Peggy
jerAL
Obsessed

Post by jerAL »

Okay, BS, now you HAVE to share this story, surgeries and all. We care about you, and of course a story with Al is a necessity!
...man is distinguished from all other creatures by the faculty of laughter.
-Joseph Addison
Apocaloso
Die-hard Fan

Post by Apocaloso »

"Couch Potato" - 7/10 - This song is very cool... and i still thinkin about the video thing...
"Hardware Store" - 10/10 - So Funny... and the music is awesome!!!
"Trash Day" - 5/10 - I don't like the song so much...it's funny but even the music is important to me
"Party At The Leper Colony" - 10/10 - I Love this song!! One of the best al's song!!! The music is great!!
"Angry White Boy Polka" - 9/10 - this polka have lots of songs that i really love!!!
"Wanna B Ur Lovr" - 7/10 - Funny...
"A Complicated Song" - 8/10 - Better than the original...
"Why Does This Always Happen To Me?" - 9/10 - LOL!!! Cool song
"Ode To A Superhero" - 7/10 - Good idea...good song
"Bob" - 10/10 - AWESOME!!!
"Ebay" - 9/10 - funnies song of the album
"Genius In France" - 10/10 - When i heard this song for the first time i thought it was great...some years later i become a Zappa fan...from that day i love this song
Fry J. Apocaloso
My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/apocaloso27" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
My Videoclip of SHE NEVER TOLD ME SHE WAS A MIME (2009): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnElaNqX9Rg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Big Spoon
Welp.
- Best GC Thread (2010)
- Best TTR Skit (2010)

Post by Big Spoon »

jerAL @ Apr 19 2007, 09:35 AM wrote: Okay, BS, now you HAVE to share this story, surgeries and all. We care about you, and of course a story with Al is a necessity!
I'll try my best to post the story in Blather over the weekend when I have some free time.
And Peggy
Bargle Nawdle Zouss
Occasional

Post by Bargle Nawdle Zouss »

When I bought it, I hated myself for buying an album I had never heard any of the songs on that costed $20, but it was worth the money!
Nintenerds - Winter 08

Can't let you brew that Starbucks!
JDTurnbull272
Addicted

Post by JDTurnbull272 »

:blink:
Wow! Nearly 5 years till this got bumped...hehehe.
Anyways, now that I look back at it, Poodle Hat was probably one of the most anticipated albums I've ever waited for yet, but now that I think about it, it isn't really my favorite album. I mean, it has some awesome songs on it, but overall, I didn't like it nearly as much as say, Running With Scissors, or even Straight Outta Lynwood.
The name is John, but you can call me JD! ^~^