White and Nerdy

Moderator: Moderators

Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

It sounds fishy to me. The idea that Al, in an effort to get a song out timely, would do it in such a way that he doesn't make any money on it? After almost 30 years in the business, pinching pennies whenever possible?
"Weird Al" has a charisma that's all his own. The awkward, the misshapen, the socially inept flock to his banner.
anthontherun
Be jealous.

Post by anthontherun »

Not to mention that out of all the songs they've recorded over the years, would "Ridin'" really be the most difficult to reproduce?
I'm ranking every Beatles song on my new pop culture blog. Check it out!
https://anthonycusumano.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

More importantly, this would imply a "cover-up" by Al and the band members - as if they would try to hide the fact that they were using the original instrumental...
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
Killingsworth
Off The Deep End

Post by Killingsworth »

yeah, thier claim is starting to really fall apart...I'm sure Al knows full well how publishing fees work by now...it's also a little aggravating to hear them repeatedly call say "Yanko-VITCH," but on the page they SPELL his name as YANCHOVIC?!?!?!C'MON!!!!! I've NEVER seen anybody mangle it THAT bad!!!
Life is a bowl of three-legged salamanders swimming around in an infinite ocean of strawberry jello...
algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Post by algonacchick »

I think these guys are headed for trouble with their claims.
4 words that Al said to me that blew me away:

"How's Problem Child doing?" - 7/12/11

So awesome!

Al Team #325
mikelgb
Die-hard Fan

Post by mikelgb »

YAY for W&N 2.0! BOOOO for lame rumormongers!
<-- I'll ace any triva quiz you bring on
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

algonacchick @ November 04, 2009 08:38 am wrote: I think these guys are headed for trouble with their claims.
Not so much, is my guess. If they were making allegations that Al or Al's label owed them royalties or rights fees or whatever that were not being paid by Al, then Al's peeps would have to respond. Instead, they're saying that Al is paying them for using something that in all likelihood he is neither using nor paying for.

This is only likely to perturb people who believe firmly in the absolute probity and sterling reputation for integrity of Play N Skillz. Let me know if they have such a reputation, and I'll get right to work on being perturbed.
"Weird Al" has a charisma that's all his own. The awkward, the misshapen, the socially inept flock to his banner.
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

Well, Play N Skillz certainly has a strong reputation in the hip hop production community. Ridin' was a pretty big hit, but they also produced one of the singles off of Lil Wayne's "Tha Carter III", arguably the biggest album of 2008. Ironically, they have yet to be paid for their work on that album, so maybe they don't know business as well as they claim in that video...
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Post by algonacchick »

Well, ok, but it still doesn't sit well with me that they claim Al couldn't recreate the music for White and Nerdy.
4 words that Al said to me that blew me away:

"How's Problem Child doing?" - 7/12/11

So awesome!

Al Team #325
ludovica64
Off The Deep End

Post by ludovica64 »

They might as well have been speaking Chinese. I listened to them but seriously couldn't understand them at all. Theyre certainly unintelligible, and from what you guys say they seem to be pretty stupid as well.

File under WTF???
<º))))><.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´"Not too stupid..... Just stupid enough!"¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>
Jul 20th,23rd 2008
AlFest 1/8/2009
Al's Brain x20
Aug 13th,14th,21st,22nd, Dec 3rd,6th 2010
Aug 12th,14th,26th 2012
Oct 4th 2015