The Next Single For Sol

Moderator: Moderators

Well, Well, Well
Bob Rozga

Post by Well, Well, Well »

I remember reading somewhere on here that "DICYO" would be released in early December...I think. However, I agree it's the wrong choice for the second single. The video's gonna have to be really, really good to make it more worthy than "Canadian Idiot."
taste is only something if it is yours.
ToasterBoy
Occasional

Post by ToasterBoy »

Bruce the Duck @ Nov 5 2006, 04:31 PM wrote: It's strange that we haven't heard anything about this since he said he was shooting the video.  I'm wondering if he's waiting to release it to coincide with either Taylor Hick's debut album (December 5th) or the premiere of season 6 of American Idol (sometime this winter).
That is exactly what's happening. Animation is close to wrapping and probably will do so this week. But it's scheduled to be released the same time.
Do You Have Laughter Is A Powerful Weapon Vol. 2?
Newly Remixed Al Song On It! http://funnymusicians.com/
ToasterBoy
Occasional

Post by ToasterBoy »

MarsBar101 @ Nov 5 2006, 04:41 PM wrote: I still can't believe we have to sit through a DICYO vid when we could be rockin' out to CI or chillin' to CPIII.
It's a funny FUNNY video though. Definitely makes the song for me. :-)
Do You Have Laughter Is A Powerful Weapon Vol. 2?
Newly Remixed Al Song On It! http://funnymusicians.com/
Teh Dingo
Be jealous.
Awards: YOU'RE EITHER PANTSLESS OR YOU'RE AGAINST US

Post by Teh Dingo »

Canadian Idiot was never promoted as the next single, so I doubt it is despite it's flukish success. I'm sure Al already had plans, and if it wasn't planned as CI, than it won't be CI.

I think Confessions is the most logical followup. It's the best song to keep the album's momentum going because it has better crossover hit potential than CI. However, if it is DICYO, it makes a lot of sense. As Jermey pointed out, there's the tie in promotions with AI and Taylor's cd, but also, since Taylor's song wasn't as big a hit as it appeared to be when SOL was recorded, in a lot of ways, it could be beneficial for both artists (And considering the shady ways AI operates in artist handling, I wouldn't be shocked if there was some kind of "prior arrangement" when Al got his permission about releasing the song). Though it's hard to be believed that there would be two official videos for one song. But anythings possible, especially as this album's proven.
You have quickly thought up such matchless phrase?
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

spacedingo @ Nov 5 2006, 01:00 PM wrote: (And considering the shady ways AI operates in artist handling, I wouldn't be shocked if there was some kind of "prior arrangement" when Al got his permission about releasing the song).
You know, I'd almost be willing to put money on that fact. It seems like the only reason why Al would even release the song as the second single.

Also, with all the time left between now and the tour, Al has plenty of time to put together yet another video if he wants. So, let's keep our hopes up for a video for CpIII, TitDT, CI, or (dare I dream?) "Polkarama!"
Tokusou Sentai Blessranger
Die-hard Fan

Post by Tokusou Sentai Blessranger »

If Trapped In The Drive Thru will be the next single, it will be divided into three seperate songs on a CD single.
Dare To Be Stupid Part Two is coming!
Teh Dingo
Be jealous.
Awards: YOU'RE EITHER PANTSLESS OR YOU'RE AGAINST US

Post by Teh Dingo »

That's true. I say it's a safe bet we're getting a third parody single/video. The label must be ecstatic with this album's performance.
You have quickly thought up such matchless phrase?
Elvis
Be jealous.
Awards: Best Admin

Post by Elvis »

He might be saving the "Canadian Idiot" video for right before the 2007 tour, especially if he plans to tour in Canada. It would make sense to release another popular song right before the tour so the DJs and VJs can say, "Here's the new Weird Al single/video. Oh, and by the way, his tour starts this month and will be coming to [our fine city] later this month."

Dave
UFLM! Unverified Fan Lives Matter!
weirdojace
Off The Deep End
Awards: I think I got Best Fan Parody when I was like 15.

Post by weirdojace »

The next single better not be Do I Creep You Out. That's a complete last-minute throw-away song. It's just not good.

If that becomes the new single instead of say, Canadian Idiot or Confessions Part III, album sales will drop drastically.
http://nuclearbubblewrap.bandcamp.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

weirdojace @ Nov 5 2006, 02:07 PM wrote: The next single better not be Do I Creep You Out. That's a complete last-minute throw-away song. It's just not good.
I agree that it's a mediocre song and doesn't deserve a video, but like Dingo said, it might have been part of the agreement with the AI folks. And if that's the case, I'm sure Al will make the video make up for the lacking quality of the song.