The Next Single For Sol

Moderator: Moderators

Big Spoon
Welp.
Awards: - Most Dedicated Non-Spoiler (2007)
- Best GC Thread (2010)
- Best TTR Skit (2010)
- Outstanding Achievement In Fan Parody (Recorded), Shared With The Rest Of The Minor Celebrities (2015)

Post by Big Spoon »

Personally, I really hope that it's not CI. I know a lot of other people like it, but I feel that it just isn't the most clever idea ever and songs that bash Canada have been done a lot before.
And Peggy
Teh Dingo
Be jealous.
Awards: YOU'RE EITHER PANTSLESS OR YOU'RE AGAINST US

Post by Teh Dingo »

Not to mention as has been pointed out before, a lot of the humor flies over some people's heads. Not in a Lasagna way, but some of the funniest jokes don't work for some people.
You have quickly thought up such matchless phrase?
Kevbo1987
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Kevbo1987 »

I agree that DICYO is a pretty weak song, but I'm sure Al will make up for that with the video. I just know the video's going to be great, and by releasing it in December, Al gets to promote it at the same time Taylor releases his album, and it's right before the new AI season. Both of those things could help DICYO to really be a hit, and it could increase SOL's sales.
Oh by the way, I've cracked the code.
Well, Well, Well
Bob Rozga

Post by Well, Well, Well »

I don't know, animated videos don't often do too well.
taste is only something if it is yours.
Kevbo1987
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Kevbo1987 »

True, but this one could be different. For one thing, JibJab is a very popular site. Videos on that site often get a lot of exposure. Another factor is the fact that most of the time, new JibJab videos premiere on The Tonight Show. That could be huge. Also, I can imagine this video being shown during a results show of AI.
Oh by the way, I've cracked the code.
Well, Well, Well
Bob Rozga

Post by Well, Well, Well »

I certainly hope the video is good, but it's certainly not going to compare to the "White & Nerdy" video. Nor is "DICYO" going to parallel the popularity "W&N" brought Al. Live action (especially with Al) is so much better than animation, I think. I mean, none of the six videos on the DVD are even comparable to "W&N." I can only hope a new video will at least carry the album sales along long enough to get a third single out officially--because "CI" seems to be more popular than "DICYO" right now.
taste is only something if it is yours.
Teh Dingo
Be jealous.
Awards: YOU'RE EITHER PANTSLESS OR YOU'RE AGAINST US

Post by Teh Dingo »

The animated video wouldn't be on tv though. That's why I think if DICYO is the single, there would be two videos.

Just because JibJab is big in the internet world doesn't translate to real world success. Yeah, they got notorioty and Leno's in their corner, but that wouldn't really translate into mainstream success.

Plus there's the "I Began Shooting a Video" vs. "I was told there's going to be a DICYO video". Now that could mean as much as the "First single vs Lead Single" conversation about DDTS vs W&N, but they are much different terms.
You have quickly thought up such matchless phrase?
CatraDhtem
Off The Deep End

Post by CatraDhtem »

Kevbo1987 @ Nov 5 2006, 02:30 PM wrote: For one thing, JibJab is a very popular site. Videos on that site often get a lot of exposure.
I agree I think this might be what Al is going for, another video that can catch on across the Internet and be distributed quickly and through a number of ways...and really lately nobody has done that better and received more mainstream press and attention than the JibJab guys have.
All Things Yankovic
http://www.dohtem.com/al" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Can't breathe like that, can you??"

Make the Rock Hall "Weird" - http://www.rockhallweird.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MarsBar
Addicted

Post by MarsBar »

Bruce the Duck @ Nov 5 2006, 01:08 PM wrote: or (dare I dream?) "Polkarama!"
Oh, I'm dreaming too. I actually sent an Ask-Al about that. My idea was that he could parody the original video in each section of the song.
Vote MarsBar for:

Best Newbie

Most likely to celebrate Weasel Stomping Day
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

Here's a question: Will "Do I Make You Proud" be on Hicks' upcoming album and if so will it be promoted as the first single?
If so, I think DICYO is a great choice for second single. Otherwise, I've seen the video for Confessions part II and I think it could easily be parodied, though I think Canadian Idiot would be a better choice commercially. And I agree with Dave that it would probably be saved for early next year to coincide with a tour.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.