Straight Outta Lynwood In 5.1

Moderator: Moderators

KnottyEmily
Obsessed

Post by KnottyEmily »

My friend Evan just got his copy of SOL in the mail today, and he said that the 5.1 mixes sounded crappy. He said he wasn't sure why, and he doesn't have another system to test it on, so I was wondering what my fellow WOWAYers think about the 5.1 mixes....

We had WAY too much fun dissecting each track....I'd never heard the cowbell in Close But No Cigar before, and the intro to Pancreas sounds a lot higher when the vocal track is isolated, I heard it and thought

So anyway, what does everybody think about the 5.1 mixes? Good? Bad? Average? The best thing you've ever heard in your life and you may as well just cut your ears off now because nothing will ever top that?
The tsunami of immediacy will wash away the flood of grief, and reveal a layer of naive optimism underneath
the3penguins

Post by the3penguins »

Cool, I didn't even know this existed. If only I had a setup...
MY MUSIC BLOG: http://the3penguins.blogspot.com

Latest entry: Tenacious D live at Rock 'n' Roe 1/14/06 (mp3s)
weirdojace
Off The Deep End
Awards: I think I got Best Fan Parody when I was like 15.

Post by weirdojace »

I don't have a 5.1 system, but the people I know that do have one say that listening to the album in surround sound creates a whole new awesome experience.
http://nuclearbubblewrap.bandcamp.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Al's #27 fan
Obsessed

Post by Al's #27 fan »

I have surround sound, and it sounds really good.
Begone, foul beast!
KnottyEmily
Obsessed

Post by KnottyEmily »

so then maybe it's his set-up or something? His system isn't cheap, they're Logitech speakers and they sound pretty good when I've listened to other stuff at his place.
The tsunami of immediacy will wash away the flood of grief, and reveal a layer of naive optimism underneath
Dementian27
Addicted

Post by Dementian27 »

It sounds AWESOME on my system, especially close but no cigar and pancreas.
Kevbo1987
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Kevbo1987 »

It sounds very good on my system, but the vocals are a little too soft. I imagine it has something to do with the settings in the system.
Oh by the way, I've cracked the code.
Lauren27
Addicted

Post by Lauren27 »

I have a surround option on my stereo (2 speakers plus subwoofer) & even without the subwoofer on, I thought the mixes sound awesome! I have noticed the same thing with the vocals that they're quieter, but I've also noticed that any other time I turn on the surround (even without official mixes). So, it doesn't really bother me. They sound good.
Every time I use my brain I get in trouble.
KnottyEmily
Obsessed

Post by KnottyEmily »

playing 5.1 through a 2.1 system....I should try that, it won't sound as good as it would on a 5.1 system though
GKarRacer

Post by GKarRacer »

I have a pretty nice 7.1 system. I have to say SOL sounds really, really, really good in 5.1. This is by far the best sounding of his albums.

As for the Logitech speakers... Logitech? Is this playing on a computer?