Something I Noticed About The Fan Reactions To Sol

Moderator: Moderators

Grom
Off The Deep End

Post by Grom »

Try www.sanity.com.au It'll probably be cheaper, since the American dollar is worth more than the Aussie one.
Grab that cash with both hands and make a stash
JEDM
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by JEDM »

Spottedfeather @ May 8 2007, 08:07 PM wrote: Except for Miley Cyrus. I'd spend just about anything for any kind of cd she made
I love SOL...nuff said folks.....

As for my quoted message.....: :lookaround: Your age is quite aparrent :lookaround:

I'm not disgusted at that or anything, I highly agree with that, i'm just making a point
CatraDhtem
Off The Deep End

Post by CatraDhtem »

There's also the Canadian version of SOL, which has the CD and also the DVD in NTSC color format so it will play on North American television sets (as opposed to the PAL format of the European and Aussie issues). I was able to get mine on eBay from an independent music dealer for about the same price as any other album. It's just a little tricky to tell sometimes what a seller may be offering, as it seems a number of eBayers are referring to the Dualdisc as a "CD + DVD" set or a "two-disc set" or something because they may not be familiar with the format.

And also, be careful about ordering from Canadian retailers (even the big ones like Future Shop or Amazon.ca) because it seems as if a number of them are getting theirs from U.S. warehouses or distributors, which means you might end up with the Dualdisc (but this point is almost moot because a lot of them don't ship outside of Canada anyway).
All Things Yankovic
http://www.dohtem.com/al" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Can't breathe like that, can you??"

Make the Rock Hall "Weird" - http://www.rockhallweird.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tenniru

Post by Tenniru »

Before SoL came out, I was pretty sure Weird Al was like so many of my other favorite artists; they'd reached their peak commerically and quality-wise and wouldn't quite make it back (despite still being pretty good). I thought he had been on a downwards slope since Off The Deep End...
Then SoL happened, and I had the honor of watching an old icon suddenly blaze back to relevance, success, and most of all quality. By far, Straight Outta Lynwood is the best album he's done; it's something I can relate to and consider a personal anthem. He's suddenly at his prime again.
It's really the best thing that could happen to Al... or any artist. How many others have suddenly returned to and beat past successes? I can only think of Paul McCartney during the Wings era and John Lennon around the time he died. And, of course, Pink Floyd surpassing their "prime" of the Barrett era when they released Dark Side Of The Moon.
Poptronixx
Die-hard Fan

Post by Poptronixx »

I've had British Myspace friends tell me that they like the SOL album, but some of them had to buy their copies from the States. Someone also told me that the UK version of SOL doesn't have the 5.1 surround sound and the Karaoke versions. Does anyone know of this problem ?
I have the US dual-disc version and It works fine on my normal and multi-region DVD players as it's a NTSC region 0 DVD.

Personally speaking, I love the SOL album together with the packaging and presentation.
Al really gives you value for your money and it's worth it!
:D :peace:
weird user
Addicted

Post by weird user »

You know, Straight Outta Lynnwood could actually be Greatest Hits Vol. 3. :lol:
weirdalisthephantomoftheopera
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by weirdalisthephantomoftheopera »

Poptronixx @ May 13 2007, 12:33 PM wrote: Personally speaking, I love the SOL album together with the packaging and presentation.
Al really gives you value for your money and it's worth it!
:D :peace:
I agree. I read about it and when I went to buy it, I was just amazed. The casing was really cool and the liner notes were awesome. I loved the pictures of TBitB and Al back in the days. I especially loved how with the karaoke, you sang with Al's pictures on the screen. Very amusing. I dislike how the dual disc doesn't play on my computer. The computer is just three years old, but it doesn't read it while my grandma's, which is only one, year old does. I can play it everywhere else but I like to listen on my computer because I'm too lazy to walk two feet over to my stereo, plus when I decide to watch the videos or listen to the surround sound version, I just have to flip it over, and not go downstairs to the DVD player. Oh well, its a small price to play for this wonderful ALbum.
"Beneath this pillow is the key to my release...I believe she misinterpreted my intentions entirely."

~Meli
Ambra
Obsessed

Post by Ambra »

I think Al gets better and better with each ALbum! I love SOL and there aren't any songs that I don't like but that's been pretty much true for me with all his releases. There are usually one or two songs that take a little longer to "grow on me". In this case, it was "Pancreas" because I've never been a huge fan of The Beach Boys but I really enjoy it now. I think this CD showcases Al's creativeness and versatility and his voice is the strongest it's ever been.
"My mailbox keeps getting vandalized! Every morning it's full of decapitated action figures and empty inhaler canisters!"
CatraDhtem
Off The Deep End

Post by CatraDhtem »

Poptronixx @ May 13 2007, 03:33 PM wrote: Someone also told me that the UK version of SOL doesn't have the 5.1 surround sound and the Karaoke versions. Does anyone know of this problem ?
Well, if the person means the CD-and-DVD two-pack version, then no, the DVD does not contain any of the bonus mixes that the Dualdisc features. The DVD merely contains the videos and the behind-the-scenes documentary.

The 5.1, et al mixes are exclusive to the U.S. Dualdisc.
All Things Yankovic
http://www.dohtem.com/al" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Can't breathe like that, can you??"

Make the Rock Hall "Weird" - http://www.rockhallweird.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
praise_harvey
Occasional
Location: In a box under the stairs in the corner of the basement of the house half a block down the street fr

Post by praise_harvey »

When SOL was released, I rushed to the store to buy it. For about a month after that, I'd find any excuse to go out for a drive, just to listen to the album. Makes me laugh and smile uncontrollably every time I listen to it!
Harvey! Harvey! Harvey the wonder hamster! He doesn't bite and he doesn't squeal! He just runs around on his hamster wheel!