Something I Noticed About The Fan Reactions To Sol

Moderator: Moderators

Apocaloso
Die-hard Fan

Post by Apocaloso »

I think SOL is a great album and i love songs like P, ISY, VA, CBNC, DDTS!!
But i love much more Poodle Hat...
Fry J. Apocaloso
My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/apocaloso27" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
My Videoclip of SHE NEVER TOLD ME SHE WAS A MIME (2009): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnElaNqX9Rg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
heliothehunter
Occasional

Post by heliothehunter »

I got the album in February and it is indeed a great album. I don't have a favorite: I like all of the tracks equally. It's just that great. Then again, most of Al's albums are like that for me.
BigWeirdAlFan

Post by BigWeirdAlFan »

I love SOL. I wasn't too crazy about WSD, but that's alright. I still LOVE SOL all in all :D
mybologna
Regular

Post by mybologna »

Bruce the Duck @ Sep 30 2006, 12:17 AM wrote: I'm betting that by the time Al is ready to release "Greatest Hits Volume III" or an updated boxed set, that James Blunt will have faded into oblivion and Atlantic Records will no longer care if Al releases the parody, and then he'll be able to release it on CD.
Like he did with Headline News.
Was there only gonna be ONE more cheesy complication album? If so, Its not greatest Hits 3 its "THE COMPLEAT AL" Every thing you've heard of Al and MORE...............But I'm only dreaming.
I'm glad White and Nerdy made it, By the way I read DICYO and W&N were the replacments for Your Pitiful.
But anyway I like both.
The Folks At Basken Robins All Know My Name!

Concerts I've Been too:
5/8/07, 7/23/08

Going to:
6/17/10 - See you all there!
childofthespiral
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by childofthespiral »

Bruce the Duck @ Sep 29 2006, 07:17 PM wrote: I'm betting that by the time Al is ready to release "Greatest Hits Volume III" or an updated boxed set, that James Blunt will have faded into oblivion and Atlantic Records will no longer care if Al releases the parody, and then he'll be able to release it on CD.
I agree.

I also find it amusing that White and Nerdy has been such a success, while anyone who wants can download YP from Al's myspace or other mirror sites, and Atlantic Records has met the bad end of the backlash. I guess the saying holds true: shoot yourself in the foot, and then wonder why you can't walk.

I really like SOL. I'm not a big fan of R&B, so that irritated me for about two minutes, but other than that I think it's Al's best yet, which is what it should be. I think it sounded really solid, and the harmonies on Pancreas were dead on. My favorite parody? C3. My favorite original? DDTS. I also loved the dvd side of the disc, and the booklet. Definitely worth the $20 I paid for it.
mind=blown
Oh, the secrets we keep
Mr. Rooney
Occasional

Post by Mr. Rooney »

I don't care what any of you say, I'm still in love with Pancreas. The thing about that track (aside the brilliance of not even being able to count the amount of instruments being used at once) is the fact that it's pretty much timeless, and, if we didn't know any better, he could have made the song at any point in his career.
"Lesbian Nazi hookers, abducted by UFOs and forced into weight-loss programs, all this week on Town Talk."
Hippielishus
Obsessed

Post by Hippielishus »

Me too!
Pancreas is just an interesting mix to listen to. I like to play the piano part in a loop, really annoys everyone around me.

But ne ways, I think SOL is more of a solid album. The humor isn't as obvious as RWS, which is still my fav. btw, it's more for the masses rather than a "cult" album. For example, Albuquerque is more slapstick, random humor and TitDT is normal everyday stuff.
2nd Runner Up Ms. Ohio.
That's my new life goal.
HappyGilmore
Obsessed

Post by HappyGilmore »

I love SOL.

Only song I haven't really warmed up to is I'll Sue Ya. I wasn't a big Rage fan, so I guess I'm not warming up to it. Only line I really like in it is the "I sued Ben Affleck, do I even need a reason?".

But, Trapped in The Drive Thru was brilliant. To take a song that is horrible and funny at the same time (Trapped in A Closet), and to make an 11 minute version be deliberately funny is a work of genius.

My favorite off of the album though, right now is Close, But No Cigar.
That's what you get when you let your heart win.
Muldernscully
Addicted

Post by Muldernscully »

Polkarama (this song alone is selling a lot of albums)
How can a polka possibly sell an album? The polkas are nice to listen to, but easily the most skippable song on all of his albums that have a polka, since they're basically just covers.
HappyGilmore
Obsessed

Post by HappyGilmore »

Hippielishus @ Aug 5 2007, 05:03 PM wrote: Me too!
Pancreas is just an interesting mix to listen to. I like to play the piano part in a loop, really annoys everyone around me.

But ne ways, I think SOL is more of a solid album. The humor isn't as obvious as RWS, which is still my fav. btw, it's more for the masses rather than a "cult" album. For example, Albuquerque is more slapstick, random humor and TitDT is normal everyday stuff.
I love Pancreas.

I don't think it's hilarious, but just a well performed song. Not that it's not funny. It's just a better performance that comes off like a tribute to Brian Wilson, who is a great musician in his own right.

The fact that anybody would make a song dedicated to the subject of a pancreas is funny though.
That's what you get when you let your heart win.