Polkarama!

Moderator: Moderators

CatraDhtem
Off The Deep End

Post by CatraDhtem »

PapaSmurf_Y2K @ Oct 6 2006, 12:48 PM wrote: There is another example of the bleeping technique in  "Jerry Springer" and that is all that I would have liked to have heard in the latest polka effort.
But the bleeping in "Jerry Springer" was an intentional gag, since a lot of words spoken by each episode's "panel" are bleeped out, almost to the point of incoherence at times. I didn't take that instance so much to mean that Al was going out of his way to be politically correct but rather was just making another reference to the show he was spotlighting.

Now if the radio edit of "Gold Digger" did in fact contain bleeps rather than re-edited lyrics, then I could see Al doing that in the polka.
All Things Yankovic
http://www.dohtem.com/al" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Can't breathe like that, can you??"

Make the Rock Hall "Weird" - http://www.rockhallweird.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Moose
Occasional

Post by Moose »

At first I didn't really like this polka, but now it's definitely one of my favorite songs on the album. For some reason the polkas always take some getting used to for me. Perhaps partly because I knew some of the songs being used, and hoped for them to be executed differently, or because I've just heard so many polkas before that there's not really a whole lot of surprises to be found.

Either way, I love Polkarama!
SmileyGirl87
Off The Deep End

Post by SmileyGirl87 »

I used to think Polkarama! wouldn't be my favorite polka since it's a bit slower than some of the other polkas, but it has definitely gotten up there..I find it stuck in my head more often than a lot of other SOL songs...:S

~*Cat*~
Straight Outta Lynwood:

Not a speck of gristle.
algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Post by algonacchick »

I love Polkarama, mostly because of the banjo-pickin' goodness during "Drop It Like It's Hot"! Go, Jim, go!! Also, hearing Al sing "Dontcha" is worth it right there!

Love it!!
4 words that Al said to me that blew me away:

"How's Problem Child doing?" - 7/12/11

So awesome!

Al Team #325
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

OK, I see what you mean but the radio version of Gold Digger does say broke broke and I think the way he sang that part was making fun of how awkward that sounds on the radio.
I do wish that Al had finished the chorus to Drop It Like It's Hott because I think the last line "I got a rolly on my arm......" would've been very funny to hear in polka format and I'm sure he didn't use the line because he didn't want to say that he "rolls the best weed"
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
Insert Coin(s) to Continue
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Insert Coin(s) to Continue »

TMBJon @ Oct 6 2006, 03:20 PM wrote: OK, I see what you mean but the radio version of Gold Digger does say broke broke and I think the way he sang that part was making fun of how awkward that sounds on the radio.
I do wish that Al had finished the chorus to Drop It Like It's Hott because I think the last line "I got a rolly on my arm......" would've been very funny to hear in polka format and I'm sure he didn't use the line because he didn't want to say that he "rolls the best weed"
That's no more objectionable than "selling crack" from DDTS.
Cane and Rinse: weekly thoughtful video game discussion. Give it a listen, won't you?
http://caneandrinse.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

I guess you're right, Ryan. Maybe he just knew how funny "drop.. it like.. it's hot" would sound right before Pon De Replay. But still...
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
SmileyGirl87
Off The Deep End

Post by SmileyGirl87 »

I've only heard the un-edited version of Gold Digger, and to be honest, I can't stand Kanye West, but I LOVE Al's version of the song. I still think it would've been better suited earlier in the polka, but hey, it was Al's choice, and any better songs to end with probably came out after he had finished Polkarama anyway...so all in all, I think with how random popular music has been lately, and his time frame, he did the best he could...:)

~*Cat*~

EDIT: Oh, and uh, I'm just playing BTD. You know I love Kanye...:F
Straight Outta Lynwood:

Not a speck of gristle.
MarsBar
Addicted

Post by MarsBar »

SmileyGirl87 @ Oct 6 2006, 09:58 PM wrote: I can't stand Kanye West,
Better edit that out before Bruce the Duck sees ( :P ).
Vote MarsBar for:

Best Newbie

Most likely to celebrate Weasel Stomping Day
Insert Coin(s) to Continue
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Insert Coin(s) to Continue »

MarsBar101 @ Oct 7 2006, 07:24 AM wrote: Better edit that out before Bruce the Duck sees ( :P ).
Jeremy isn't like some el hugo rabid Kanye fan. We here at WOWAY respect each other's opinions...unless they're mine, of course.
Cane and Rinse: weekly thoughtful video game discussion. Give it a listen, won't you?
http://caneandrinse.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;