Canadian Idiot

Moderator: Moderators

algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Post by algonacchick »

Well, maybe you're right. I just would rather see a Green Day parody.

Also, American Idiot is also a kind of political song, and Al doesn't really do that kind of thing. That's called satire.

Anyway, Boulevard or Holiday might be better.
4 words that Al said to me that blew me away:

"How's Problem Child doing?" - 7/12/11

So awesome!

Al Team #325
Genius in Maine
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Genius in Maine »

Jake @ Jul 18 2006, 08:42 AM wrote: The only problem here is.....surley everybodies sick of every single from that album? They were overplayed to an almost illegal level......
...which is why I think they would be good parody targets, particularly "Boulevard".
http://www.last.fm/user/geniusinmaine" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ecto
Occasional

Post by Ecto »

Holiday is political as well. the good thing is i'll know what song is parodied lol
Who else would you call if it weren't for the Ghostbusters?
mrmeadows
Obsessed

Post by mrmeadows »

I think GD intended the whole American Idiot album as a political statement, but that doesn't mean Al has to make a politically-minded parody out of its songs.

Meadows
Your Horoscope For Today: Try to avoid any Virgos or Leos with the Ebola virus.
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

Mystik Tomato @ Jul 18 2006, 08:59 AM wrote: What about the Rolling Stones? They were polkafied in Polka Party! (Harlem Shuffle/Polka) and again in THRP, so couldn't that happen with Green Day?

Not just that, but Mick Jagger was also given the polka treatment in "Hooked on Polkas" as well.

Other artists that have been "polkafied" twice include Janet Jackson ("Nasty" and "Miss You") and R.E.M. ("Losing My Religion" and "Bang and Blame"). There also have been many artists that have been the subject of both a parody and a polka, including The Police, Michael Jackson, Mick Jagger, Eminem, Madonna, the Red Hot Chilli Peppers, and now Green Day. And of course we can't forget that Michael Jackson was parodied twice (not counting unreleased stuff)!

So just cause an artist is used in a parody or polka doesn't mean they won't be again. It's all a matter of what's popular.
mrmeadows
Obsessed

Post by mrmeadows »

Out of all the AI songs, my wish would be for "Holiday" to get the Al treatment. However, I believe it will most likely be either "American Idiot" or BoBD.

A Green Day polka would be cool, and I wouldn't complain, but if I had to choose I'd prefer Al did a parody of one song (especially since we need some kind of rock parody on the album, at least for us white and nerdy types!)

Maybe Al will do one of his "combo" parodies, like he did with "The Plumbing Song" and "Bedrock Anthem", where he takes two songs and blends them together for the parody. He could kick it off with a quick riff on "AI", since that was the song that started it all, and them move onto a more fleshed-out parody of "Holiday" or BoBD.

Meadows
Your Horoscope For Today: Try to avoid any Virgos or Leos with the Ebola virus.
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

One thing that at least deserves mention is a Jesus of Suburbia parody. I know its not very likely, but hey stranger things have happened.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
weird_el
Off The Deep End

Post by weird_el »

I think a Jesus of Suburbia polka is a very cool idea, but I think the most likely song parodied will be BoBD -- it was played to death last year.
This means something. This is important.
CatraDhtem
Off The Deep End

Post by CatraDhtem »

"Boulevard of Broken Dreams" seems to be the no-brainer, and an excellent choice for a song IMO. It was easily the biggest hit of the singles off "American Idiot," even very recently hitting #1 on the "Hot Adult Top 40 Recurrents" chart, which means it's still being played heavily on the radio. And it just won "Record of the Year" at the Grammys.

As for the content, it was the most neutral of the "Idiot" singles as well, so there's very little of the political stigma that two of the other singles have. Not saying that should make too much of a difference, but since "American Idiot" and "Holiday" were pretty satirical in nature already, parodies of either might seem quite redundant.
All Things Yankovic
http://www.dohtem.com/al" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Can't breathe like that, can you??"

Make the Rock Hall "Weird" - http://www.rockhallweird.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
twinkieweinersandwiches24_7
Off The Deep End

Post by twinkieweinersandwiches24_7 »

A JoS polka would be cool, but I think Al would want to do a regular polka to get all the hits of the past few years in that he wouldn't parody/style parody. Then again, Al did a whole Rolling Stones polka in '89 when there were a million other songs he could have polka'd, so anything could happen.
Stephanie
Al Team #2781