Canadian Idiot

Moderator: Moderators

CatraDhtem
Off The Deep End

Post by CatraDhtem »

TMBJon @ Jul 18 2006, 01:30 PM wrote: To avoid the Luke Ski-esque trap of catering too much to the nerds of the world, I'd like to think there'd be only one nerd type song per album. I'd rather see more songs about topics that are accessible to everyone.
I'd have to agree. After the second or third song on an album referencing computers, online culture, or mere nerdery one might wonder, "So is Weird Al solely playing to the D&D crowd now?"
All Things Yankovic
http://www.dohtem.com/al" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Can't breathe like that, can you??"

Make the Rock Hall "Weird" - http://www.rockhallweird.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Chocolate_Pizza

Post by Chocolate_Pizza »

Aside from Weird Al, my other favourite bands of all time are Green Day and The Offspring, so I'm very excited to potentially have a Green Day parody on the album, and although unlikely, I'm hoping for some kind of Jesus of Suburbia parody, because I absolutely love the new album, especially that song. Time to go read the rest of the spoilers now!

Bobby
Jake
Occasional

Post by Jake »

I hope it's either Holiday or Jesus of suburbia because out of the singles from that album they're the only ones I can stand.

I remember a while back someone mentioned the idea of an american idiot polka. Doing a polka of the entire album to continue the "story" of the cd.......that could be quite cool.
TheMeccaOfAlbinoPoodles
Off The Deep End

Post by TheMeccaOfAlbinoPoodles »

algonacchick @ Jul 18 2006, 10:04 AM wrote: That's called satire.

But...
all Al DOES is satire!
As to which song he should parody... I think there should be a polka of Jesus of Suburbia or St. Jimmy- one of the big 8-minute songs.
The Office: NBC, Thursdays at 9.
If you're not watching, you're doing yourself great injustice.
algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Post by algonacchick »

I guess, but I always thought satire was more a political thing. I was wrong, because I looked it up. So, thanks for correcting me.

Of course, now that I said that about American Idiot being a political song, that doesn't mean Al's parody would be political, if he chose to parody it.
4 words that Al said to me that blew me away:

"How's Problem Child doing?" - 7/12/11

So awesome!

Al Team #325
mrmeadows
Obsessed

Post by mrmeadows »

TheMeccaOfAlbinoPoodles @ Jul 19 2006, 07:03 AM wrote: As to which song he should parody... I think there should be a polka of Jesus of Suburbia or St. Jimmy- one of the big 8-minute songs.
Not to be picky, but "St. Jimmy' isn't 8 minutes. "Homecoming" is the other long track on AI.

Meadows
Your Horoscope For Today: Try to avoid any Virgos or Leos with the Ebola virus.
Jake
Occasional

Post by Jake »

^ also that hasn't been released as a single so I think we can definatly rule that out.
TheMeccaOfAlbinoPoodles
Off The Deep End

Post by TheMeccaOfAlbinoPoodles »

mrmeadows @ Jul 19 2006, 01:38 PM wrote: Not to be picky, but "St. Jimmy' isn't 8 minutes. "Homecoming" is the other long track on AI.

Meadows
A-ha. Thanks for the correction!
The Office: NBC, Thursdays at 9.
If you're not watching, you're doing yourself great injustice.
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

As much as I automatically assumed this was going to be a Boulevard parody, I've been thinking lately that maybe Al will be doing "American Idol" to the tune of "American Idiot." It would fit really well if you think about it. I'd still prefer a Boulevard parody though. I think there's more to be done with it.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
CB Johnny
Addicted

Post by CB Johnny »

American Idiot's title is aready a parody on American Idol...I bet you knew this, but I should say it would be too redundant.
Then again, Al did say his new year's resolution is to be more redundant. :P
Last edited by CB Johnny on Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Visit Elvis' website to read "The Completionist Guide" for accessing all sorts ofWeird Al songs (and sometimes ridiculously miniscule) be it rare gems or ridiculously miniscule from 1973 to 2019. weirdalstar.com/uhf/