Straight Outta Lynwood Full Album Reviews

Moderator: Moderators

Elvis
Be jealous.
Awards: Best Admin

Post by Elvis »

There are some lyrics already on the Werd Al Wiki. It's only a few songs so far, but I imagine the rest of the lyrics will be added over the next couple of days.

Thanks for the reviews everybody. I ejoyed reading them, and I'm happy to see most of them are positive and in line with mine. :)

Dave
UFLM! Unverified Fan Lives Matter!
unexpectedguy
Occasional

Post by unexpectedguy »

Thoe White and Nerdy lyrics will be good until the rest are leaked.

...I edit Wikipedia
...Got my name on my underware
cody
Die-hard Fan

Post by cody »

wow, most people are giving >6/10 for most all the tracks.

I didn't expect people to like every track. I certainly didn't

my review. I know it doesn't mean much becuase I don't want to type up long descriptions.

White and Nerdy - 9/10 - very funny
Pancreas - 3/10 - I know it's a style parody, but the music just didn't do it for me
Canadian Idiot - 7/10 - clever song, good lyrics.
I'll Sue Ya - 8/10 - no comment
Polkarama! - 4/10 - Bad ending, bad transitions
Virus Alert - 9/10 - LOVE the music. the lyrics are pretty good too :)
Confessions Part III - 6/10 - music is well done. just wasn't that funny. Still like it though
Weasel Stomping Day - 7/10 - WSD:SOL::WASTS:RWS
Close But No Cigar - 6/10 - Nice, didn't impress me though
Do I Creep You Out - 2/10 - Didn't like this.
Trapped in the Drive Thru - 9/10 - absolutely Hilarious
Don't Download This Song - 6/10 - bleh

You're Pitiful - 9/10 - Wish this was on the album. I like W&N better though.

Overall - 8/10 - better than most of Al's albums. His voice is great on this.
Lightning7smith
Occasional

Post by Lightning7smith »

1) W & N - 9/10
2)P - 7/10
3)CI - 5/10
4)ISY - 8/10
5)Polka - 7/10
6)VA - 4/10
7)CPIII - 10/10
8)WSD - 8/10
9) CBNC - 7/10
10) DICYO - 9/10
11) TITDT - 27/10
12) DDTS - 7/10

9+7+5+8+7+4+10+8+7+9+27+7=108

108/12 = 9

Album = 9/10

Notes: Liver+Creepy guy+Shirley Temples+Sour Cream+Sqishy sounds= GREAT ALbum!
9-16-00, 8-9-03, 4-26-04, 5-24-06, 5-25-06, 5-26-06, 5-27-06, 9-28-11, 9-29-11, 9-30-11, 10-1-11, 4-18-13, 6-16-16
mikelgb
Die-hard Fan

Post by mikelgb »

Instead of numbers I'll just list mine in order of preference.

1. White and Nerdy - One of the best lead parodies ever. Right up there with Amish Paradise. Love and relate to the lyrics and the source material is great. And this song will forever be ingrained in my life because I am in the video. No qualms with the length here.

2. Confessions pt. III - Second best parody on the album. Spot On. Captured usher perfectly.

3. Polkarama! - Don't care what you haters say I still love this polka. I agree that feel good is underplayed, but it works. I also have to say that I think the quality of the bootleg affected this track more noticably than others. Can't wait for the real thing.

4. Pancreas - The best original on the album and a pitch perfect style parody. As many have said the first listen through of this song you really just hear the great harmonies and melodies. The next pass the lyrics seep through and it is fantastc.

5. Trapped in the Drive Thru - ROTFLOL. Great parody. Hilarious. I relate to many of the situations in this one. Some of the bits are weak on the second pass though.

6. Canadian Idiot - I love Green Day. I get the Canadaian referances and overall it is a well done parody. But I think the subject matter is a little too predicable and 'done.' Still a good listen.

7. Virus Alert - I love the music tonal changes of this original. Can't wait to see who Al gives credit for inspiring this one.

8. I'll Sue Ya - A great Rage style parody. Some of the lyrics are so-so. Well Done.

9. Don't Download This Song - A good style parody and a few good lyrics. I enjoy listening to it. Just not my favorite.

10. Do I Creep You Out - Some funny lyrics. Bad source material. But a good parody of it.

11. Weasel Stomping Day - Frist off... animal cruelty? psh... it is an Al song.... come on. I can laugh at that just as easily as laughing at shooting my daddy in the den or killing yourself over Melanie... i could just as stupidly say "gun violence and suicide are never funny" but then I dare say I'd be stupid (and wrong). The reason it is my second to last is not that I don't find it funny or the song catchy it is just not a song I could listen to every day.

12. Close But No Cigar - This song just doesn't work for me right now. Seriously Al, if you are reading this, what were you thinking? I really like the music and the lyrics are superb, but it is less than 4 minutes! I mean some fans would let that slide but not me. This isn't David Hasslehoff's greatest hits. Bottom line: Close, but no cigar.

GREAT ALBUM
<-- I'll ace any triva quiz you bring on
dr.worm
Occasional

Post by dr.worm »

alright, i'll try my hand at this.

1. White And Nerdy--- Wow, awesome song. When i first found it on Chamillionaire's myspace, i listened to it over and over again. I immediately put it on my own myspace and then just refreshed it over and over because i didn't want to stare at Cha's ugly mug anymore. there are so many funny parts to it, i don't want to post them all. 10/10

2. Pancreas--- now i found this one to be exceptionally odd. I know it's Weird Al and all, but this is just.. out there. I guess i'm not into the whole Brian Wilson thing as much as others. it is awesome though, that he can write a whole song about a pancreas. and yeah, i do think it goes along with some of They Might Be Giants' educational songs like Mammal and Why Does the Sun Shine. haha: "flow, flow, pancreatic juice, flow, flow, into the duodenum..." (if that was against forum rules, then i'm sorry, this IS the spoiler page after all). also, the sweet vocals are sorta mixed Hardware Store, and i am not disappointed. 7/10

3. Canadian Idiot--- being from Canada, i thought it was pretty funny. I often like to push the Canadian stereotypes on others. yes, i've been curling (and it's pretty fun, yet ridiculous), yes we have a province called Saskatchewan, but no, i've never had moose meat. i've heard American Idiot a billion times though, so i was sorta disappointed that the guitar didn't sound exactly the same, but those are just my crazy expectations. OH, and i LOVED the part about "not even bringing their guns to the malls" and all those sorta references. guns are bad. 8/10

4. I'll Sue Ya--- this one's another good one. the Rage Against the Machine likeness is great! with all that funky guitar stuff and that build-up opening and such. i really love how he plays on America's love of suing people. i live close to the border and half the commercials i see on the American channels are for lawyers and law firms. weird. "and i sued Ben Affleck... do i even need a reason?!" ingenius. 8/10

5. Polkarama--- oh man, one of the best polkas ever. i know people are complaining about the recycled polka techniques, but hey, what's a guy to do? it's a polka for pete's sake, there are only certain set of quirks you can do. i LOVED the choice of songs because they were all popular songs from the last few years. i'm glad Weezer finally let him do something of theirs. i also loved how he fit the rap songs into there too. the acappella part was a bit of a stretch, but i enjoyed it. 9/10

6. Virus Alert--- this one was pretty good. it's got some good ridiculous lines, but it just bugs the heck of me as to what it sounds like. and let me tell you, it's NOT Rush. i know Rush, they've got way crazier drums and heavier bass and stoopider vocals. i'm not too crazy about it though, but it is a good original. 7/10

7. Confessions Pt. III--- wow! awesome song. geez, it's SO good. hilarious lines, amazing parody work, what more could one ask for? i sorta like how Al is pushing the humour on this album. it seems a tad more adult. well, Wanna B Ur Lovr was pretty much pushing it during the innuendoes, but that's not what this is about. 10/10

8. Weasel Stomping Day--- this is sorta another one i don't get. i mean, i can see it with the video, and it seems like it'd be great, but without the video, it's sorta gross at times. you gotta be in the mood for this brutal type of humour to work. 6/10

9. Close But No Cigar--- wow! this is the BEST original on the album in my opinion. i LOVE Cake, and i love how Al did it. they've got the sweet bass lines and the trumpets and the little Cake hooks that John McCrea always uses, and it just makes the song awesome. lol-- "crazy like Manson about her"-- that line's so awesome. i like the Buddy Rich solo reference too. the song's not rip-roaring hilarious throughout, but it's just a musically awesome song that it just makes you want to dance the whole time you're listening to it. 10/10

10. Do I Creep You Out--- well... i don't really like this song. i don't really like American Idol.. at all. in fact, i detest the show and try to avoid it at every cost. i had to look up who Taylor Hicks is. i think i heard the song once on a commercial for the show, but not much after that. some of the lines are funny because they're "Every Breath You Take"-stalker-like and that's good. but other than that, the song's really short and i don't really enjoy it. but being the sucker i am, i'm still going to give it a 6/10.

11. Trapped In A Drive Thru--- oh boy, oh man, oh grandpa. this song is insane! it just drones on and on and on and on and on, but that's why it's so awesome! all the pointless conversation and meaningless repetition of words just shows how much of an ass sphincter R Kelly is. like geez, what kind of idiot would actually make up this sort of thing? but Al's parody of him is grand. the thing though-- i don't like how it's sort of like Confessions, the way it's sort of slower R&B/Hip Hop. but i love how Al is going with the really long songs for the 3rd album in a row. oh and the Zeppelin song! that was great! i wanted it to go on longer. 8/10

12. Don't Download This Song--- i gotta confess, when i heard Al was gonna put out his first single, i thought it'd be White and Nerdy. but alas, i was wrong. this is still a pretty good song though. it's really catchy. i just don't really like the video for it though. i try not to think of it when i listen to this song. it made me feel really guilty when i downloaded "Canadian Idiot" off Limewire. it did it's job. it's not a really stunning hilarious song or anything though. plus, i'm sort of used to it, so i may be biased. 8/10

the end! that's it.

overall rating: 8.0833333333333333333333333333333.

thanks for reading. even if you didn't.
WBLG27
Occasional

Post by WBLG27 »

Alrighty, I love doing these.

1) White And Nerdy: I hate rap music :ph34r: ...Which makes parodies such as these all the much better. I love this song. Al is a fantastic rapper. I love all the nerdy computer technical lingo and it really stayed true to the original. Very funny. 8/10

2) Pancreas: Um, different. I like the sound, and it's a good thing I passed biology with an A, because I understood much of the anatomical references in this song. Leave it to Al to make a song about a pancreas. 6/10

3) Canadian Idiot: Huge Green Day fan here, so I had high expectations for this song, and they were definitely met for the most part. Lyrics were a bit corny in some parts, but I really, really liked this song. 9/10

4) I'll Sue Ya: Love the guitar riffs, love the solid rock sound of this song. Great impression of RATM, and very funny lyrics. 10/10

5) Polkarama: I loved it much more listening to it the second time around. Good opening, just ok closing. I've heard of all the songs, and like most of them. Weezer, The Killers, Velvet Revolver, Franz Ferdinand were great touches to the polka with very catchy parts. The end was weak, in my opinion, and kind of lost me with 50 cent, Snoop Dogg, and Rhianna. 6/10

6) Virus Alert: Another different one. Some good vocal runs, a bit creepy maybe? Reminds me of a bit of Styx. Funny lyrics. 7/10

7) Confessions Part III: This one was great. Very true to the original, very funny, I can no longer take the oringal seriously anymore (although I never liked it in the first place). 8/10

8) Weasel Stomping Day: I laughed hard at this one. Howdy Ho, It's Weasel Stomping Day! Reminds me of an old fashioned Christmas Tune, but the weasel stomping sound effects were hilarious. 8/10

9) Close, But No Cigar: This song has been speculated for quite some time, so I was very interested in hearing this one. Had to listen to it a few times cause the lyrics kinda lost me a few times, but it's a great song. 9/10

10) Do I Creep You Out?: I'ma big Idol fan, and backed Taylor Hicks all season. So this came as a very pleasant surprise to me. My only problem with it was that it was too short. Hicks' song has an extra verse. But, Al was very true to Taylor's singing style in the bridge, and imitated his vocal runs almost perfectly. I really, really, loved this one, and cannot wait to see Al do it in concert (hopefully). 10/10

11) Trapped In The Closet: 10/10, not much to say, awesome, spot-on, probably best Al parody to date. Took a non-sensical song and made it even more non-sensical. Genius!

12) Don't Download This Song: 10/10 same as above, one of the best Al originals to date. Discusses a very, very true issue today.

13) You're Pitiful: I don't care about record label politics, this song will always be a part of SOL. I loved the mocking of Blunt's singing style with the falsetto and really reminds me of I'm So Sick Of You. 9/10

Album: 8.5 / 10 My favorite to date.

There ya have it, thanks for reading
WBLG27
Occasional

Post by WBLG27 »

Apparently the number "8" with a ")" Gives a 8)
thepowerofpolka
Addicted

Post by thepowerofpolka »

Oh man, I gotta get out of this thread. It's getting harder and harder hold out until the 26th!!! Because that's when I get to hear it for the first time in ~5.1 Surround Sound~

Man these reviews sound great!!!!
"Why would I wanna eat liver? I don't even like liver."
da_dom
Occasional

Post by da_dom »

Dunno