Straight Outta Lynwood Full Album Reviews

Moderator: Moderators

anthontherun
Be jealous.

Post by anthontherun »

anthontherun @ Sep 26 2006, 09:30 PM wrote: 1. White and Nerdy - Loved it. I honestly think this is the best lead parody since "Smells Like Nirvana." Great song, especially since it was apparently a rush job. 9/10
I can't decide whether I prefer this to SLN but I can say that it's a solid 10/10 now.

2. Pancreas - I couldn't help but think of an old song from Happy Days, Potsie sang a song with a chorus like "Puh-puh-puh [actually, I think it was repeated 27 times], pumps your blood!" Liked the vocals and melody too. 8/10

I appreciate this one a lot more with each listen. 9/10

3. Canadian Idiot - Meh...it's not bad by any means but it felt very knocked off and uninspired. It was still pretty good. 6/10

Eh, it still isn't a favorite, but it's grown on me a little. 7/10

4. I'll Sue Ya - Loved it, especially the choruses. It's kind of a one-joke song but Al makes it work. 10/10

5. Polkarama! - Better than the last two polkas, but this one'll be forgotten in ten years. 8/10

6. Virus Alert - Much better than I was expecting, another one-joke song that works very well. Great tune too. 9/10

Eh...might downgrade it to 8/10.

7. Confessions Part III - Again, better than I was expecting, although not laugh-out-loud hilarious. 8/10

8. Weasel Stomping Day - Absolutely hysterical. Great, great song; I usually don't like having shorter songs on the ALbums but this one works perfectly. 10/10

9. Close But No Cigar - My favorite from the album. Similar to "Why Does This Always Happen to Me?" composition-wise and works just as well. 10/10

10. Do I Creep You Out - This one did nothing for me. 4/10

What a difference a year makes! I prefer it to CI now. 8/10

11. Trapped in the Drive-Thru - Mere words can't do this one justice. 10/10

12. Don't Download This Song - It was definitely worth the wait, although I don't think it was the best song to close the album with. 8/10

Another downgrade here...7/10.

RANKING
1. Close But No Cigar
2. I'll Sue Ya
3. Trapped in the Drive-Thru
4. Weasel Stomping Day
5. White and Nerdy
6. Virus Alert
7. Pancreas
8. Don't Download This Song
9. Confessions Part III
10. Polkarama!
11. Canadian Idiot
12. Do I Creep You Out

1. Close But No Cigar
2. White and Nerdy
3. I'll Sue Ya
4. Weasel Stomping Day
5. Trapped in the Drive-Thru
6. Pancreas
7. Polkarama!
8. Confessions Part III
9. Virus Alert
10. Do I Creep You Out
11. Canadian Idiot
12. Don't Download This Song
I'm ranking every Beatles song on my new pop culture blog. Check it out!
https://anthonycusumano.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Genius in Maine
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Genius in Maine »

My thoughts, one year after:

After lots of listens, this has become one of my favorite ALbums.

It's still among my favorites, and gets my vote as the best non-80s ALbum.

1. White & Nerdy - Undoubtedly the best leadoff song since "Smells Like Nirvana", and my new favorite rap parody (by a lot). I can relate to a lot of the things Al mentions, particularly the segments about trivia, Minesweeper, and Star Trek captains (for the record, I prefer Picard). A bit stereotypical, but I'll look past that. 10/10

Still my favorite song on the album. No change in rating.

2. Pancreas - Cute, but nothing special. I was actually expecting it to be more upbeat. 5/10

Better than I thought. 6/10

3. Canadian Idiot - A bit disappointing; I agree with TMBJon that it isn't as good musically as it could have been. It's particularly a downer, since this one is really good lyrically (I get most of the references, due to having parents who lived in Canada for a few years, as well as visiting fairly frequently). 7/10

The more I listen, the more I actually don't mind the musical differences. 9/10

4. I'll Sue Ya - I was dreading this one (I can't stand RATM), but I ended up liking it quite a bit. I think this is the best song lyrically on the album, especially since there have really been similar lawsuits. 8/10

This is now my favorite original on the album. 9/10

5. Polkarama! - Nice to have a back-to-basics polka. Now, about the songs included in the medley... 7/10

As time goes on, I'm liking this one more and more. Best polka since "Bohemian Polka". 8/10

6. Virus Alert - The best original on the album. Musically, it reminds me a bit of "Midnight Star", which is one of my favorites. 9/10

I still enjoy it, but it's not my favorite original on the album anymore. 8/10

7. Confessions, Part III - Easily the weakest parody on the album. Good for the 27 and Pauly Shore references, but overall, very forgettable. 6/10

I like it more than it did, but it still gets my vote as the weakest parody on the album. 7/10

8. Weasel Stomping Day - Cutest song about stomping animals ever. 9/10

Still cute, but I don't love this song as much as I did on this date a year ago. 8/10

9. Close But No Cigar - Nice rocking original. Not one of my favorites, but not one I would skip over either. 7/10

I've been skipping over this one a lot lately. 5/10

10. Do I Creep You Out - I don't know why everyone's so down on this, since I think this one is very funny, albeit a bit extreme (but only a bit). Before I heard this, I predicted the original would make a great parody, and I was right. Love the "live" ending too. 9/10

Still love it. No change in rating.

11. Trapped In The Drive Thru - While I like this one, I'm not as high on this one as everyone here seems to be. I particularly enjoyed the allusions to asking for ketchup (it's happened to me many times) and the use of "Black Dog". 8/10

I need to be in a certain mood to listen to this one, but when I am, it's worth it. No change in rating.

12. Don't Download This Song - Loved the shout out to Tommy Chong. I can't help but think this song was inspired a bit by the South Park episode "Christian Rock Hard" (not that it's a bad thing, of course). 8/10

Even though people are still using P2P programs (and getting into trouble for it), this one is starting to feel old for some reason. 7/10
http://www.last.fm/user/geniusinmaine" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Teh Dingo
Be jealous.
Awards: YOU'RE EITHER PANTSLESS OR YOU'RE AGAINST US

Post by Teh Dingo »

I was afraid to say this was my favorite album because I didn't want to fall in the "new" trap, but I think I can now safely say I think this is Al's best overall album.

And what's really amazing is the album, for me, hasn't lost anything. I'm still listening to it, and the only song I skip is Trapped, which is only for the obvious reason I don't always have 11 minutes to kill :P For me, W&N is only outpaced by SLN as lead parody, I'm still blown away by ISY and VA, and the red headed stepchild of the album, DICYO has become afavorite (I see a few people have changed their minds...funny how a video does that )

For me, the lesser tracks on the album (Besides DICYO) were CI, WSD, CBNC. and Pancreas...and I would still rank them much higher than lesser tracks on other albums. Any deficiencies on those songs are made up by something else (F'r instance, Pancreas' incredible music).

Happy birthday SOL! You deserve it!
You have quickly thought up such matchless phrase?
Big Spoon
Welp.
Awards: - Most Dedicated Non-Spoiler (2007)
- Best GC Thread (2010)
- Best TTR Skit (2010)
- Outstanding Achievement In Fan Parody (Recorded), Shared With The Rest Of The Minor Celebrities (2015)

Post by Big Spoon »

1. White and Nerdy – I love this song.  It’s extreamly clever, especially how it’s just about the exact opposite of Ridin’.  Whenever I hear it, I laugh extremely hard.  Although, I would have preferred it if it were a little bit longer.
9/10

Other than my grammar having gotten better, my thoughts on it haven't changed.
9/10

2. Pancreas – This song makes me laugh pretty hard at times, but I have to admit that I don’t love it nearly as much as some of the other tracks on the CD.
8/10

Still like this song as much, but not as much as I used to.
7/10

3.  Canadian Idiot – I was really excited to hear this song, and I thought I would really enjoy it, but when I first heard it, I was a little disappointed.  It’s still a great song, but I was expecting a little bit more here.
7/10

This song has gone way done in my mind. I'll still listen to it once in a while, but I really don't like it.

4.  I’ll Sue Ya- Extremely funny, all-around great song.  When I first heard it, I have to admit that I didn’t love it, I still liked it, just didn’t love it.  But now it’s really grown on me a lot.  I love the line about Ben Affleck in it.
9/10

Still great.
10/10

5. Polkarama! – I love this song!  Definitely one of Al’s better polkas.
10/10

I still think it's great, but I don't like it as much as I used to.
9/10

6.  Virus Alert – Another great original.  This quickly became one of my favorite songs on the ALbum and has stayed at the top of my list.
10/10

VA is still one of my favorites, but I don't love it as much as I did a year ago.
9/10

7. Confessions Part III – I LOVE this song.  Extremely funny idea for a parody with great, roll-on-the-ground-laughing lyrics.
10/10

I still love this song, but it's replay value isn't fantastic after a year.

8. Weasel Stomping Day – Another great original.  This is another song that had me laughing really hard throughout it’s play.  I would prefer if it was at least a little bit longer though.  But it’s still an all-around great song.

I just realized that I didn't score this song initially.
I still think WSD day is great, but it gets a little annoying if heard too much in a short period of time
8/10

9.  Close But No Cigar – Another instant favorite of mine from the CD.  The music is great, the lyrics are great.  Another brilliant original.
9/10

This has quickly become one of my favorite songs of Al's. I find myself singing it constantly

10.  Do I Creep You Out? – Very funny, but I wish Al had it be a parody of a more popular song.
8/10

Great song, and the Jib Jab video made it even better.
9/10

11. Trapped In The Drive Thru – Another brilliant parody.  This is definitely another contender for my favorite song on the Album.  It captures the original’s sheer stupidity very well.
10/10

My thoughts on this song haven't changed at all (other than the fact that it's a second favorite on the album)
10/10

12.  Don’t Download This Song – A great finale to the CD.  The lyrics are very funny as well as the concept for it.  I’m glad I waited for the release to hear it.
9/10

Again, I'm glad I waited to hear this until the album came out. It's a great song and I feel like my appreciation for it went up.
10/10

You’re Pitiful – A great song, extreamly funny in many ways.  I wish it was on the CD.
10/10

Same as above.
10/10

Overall: A great CD of Al’s, but I think PH is still my favorite ALbum.  The CD was great and really funny at first, and then the more and more I hear it, the more it grows on me.
9/10

Again, same as above.
And Peggy
just2good
Occasional

Re: Straight Outta Lynwood Full Album Reviews

Post by just2good »

1.) Trapped in the Drive Thru - 9.75/10 - Definitely one of his best parodies and one of my favorites. I loved the original, too, which was very stupid.
2.) White and Nerdy - 9.5/10 - Awesome parody, and definitely one of his best. Al should show off his rapping talent more!
3.) Polkarama! - 9.25/10 - Love this one, especially the Float On part and the Candy Shop part to the end.
4.) Don't Download This Song - 9/10 - So catchy and I always sing along!
5.) Pancreas - 8.5/10 - This song has definitely grown on me since I first heard it. I especially love the middle of the song and the end is cool, but the beginning is just okay.
6.) Virus Alert - 8.5/10 - Another one that grew on me, just two days ago actually!
7.) I'll Sue Ya - 7/10 - This song is catchy and funny, but one listen does it for me for the week. :P
8.) Confessions Part III - 6.25/10 - Not laugh out loud funny and not to catchy, but deserves a listen from me once in a blue moon.
9.) Canadian Idiot - 5.5/10 - I used to love the original, but this one is just week. I'm usually not one for ethnic stereotypes. :P
10.) Do I Creep You Out - 5.5/10 - Boring and not too funny, but I do listen to it once in a while.
11.) Close But No Cigar - 5.25/10 - A bit better than WSD, but I can't stand it. It's just boring.
12.) Weasel Stomping Day - 5/10 - Doesn't do much for me.
--
You're Pitiful - 9.5/10 - Such a strong song, but I'm glad it's not in the CD as W&N made this CD so successful. I remember the flash version of it!

Overall, 8.5/10 for the album. Lots of strong stuff in here, but lots of mediocre stuff. But, I think the stong stuff out weighs the mediocrity.
Insomnia
Occasional

Post by Insomnia »

White and Nerdy: 9.5/10
Pancreas: 9/10 god I love this song so underrated
Canadian Idiot: 8/10
I'll Sue Ya: 8/10
Polkarama!: 10/10 One of my favorite polkas
Virus Alert: 8/10
Confessions Part III: 8/10 I forgot how funny this song is.
Weasel Stomping Day: 7/10 funny but really only due to the sfx.
Close But No Cigar: 7.5/10
Do I Creep You Out: 7/10 short but good song, although it's somewhat forgettable in midst of all the other songs on the album
Trapped in the Drive Thru: 10/10
Don't Download This Song: 8/10

Probably Al's most consistently great and highest quality album. Every song works there are no stinkers imo, which is a first.
Heds
Obsessed

Post by Heds »

Right, guess I better do mine!
White & Nerdy: 10/10. My whiteness and nerdyness is totally mixed together in this song. It's so good it could be played in London's Ministry Of Sound.
Pancreas: 10/10. Too good and way too catchy - it's one of those "try not to get a strange stare or two if you sing this in public because it's so weird" songs. At least better than singing the lyrics to the cringeworthy "Lollipop" by MIKA.
Canadian Idiot: 10/10. A perfect ode to Canada, from the view of an American. Being Scottish, that is just too cool. The line "Their stupid monopoly money" cracks me up everytime.
I'll Sue Ya: 10/10. America's legal system in a nutshell.
Polkarama: 10/10. Polka polka polka polkaaaaaaaaa!
Virus Alert: 10/10. "Virus alert! Delete immediately before someone gets hurt! Forward this message on to everybody!". Way too catchy, it gets stuck in your head. Now please tell me somebody will make a "Stinky Cheese" virus that does all those things?
Confessions Part III: 10/10. Al's throwing a cosy duvet all other himself. You get the same feeling out of this song.
Weasel Stomping Day: 10/10. Considering we eat haggis (Sheep's pluck) here as a tradition on Burn's Day, I find this song very funny. Because our "cruel and vile" but "yummy" food tastes it. #MakeWeaselMeatNationalFoodOfScotland
Close But No Cigar: 0/10. There's not much comedy to this song, and once you saw John K's terrible music video, you knew this was just going to be horrible.
Do I Creep You Out: 8/10. It's kind of meh but it's still quite good.
Trapped In The Drive Thru: 10/10. Now this is what I find an amusing 10 minute song filled with gags. Just way too good again.
Don't Download This Song: 10/10. Illegal song downloading through an artist's point-of-view = perfection. The final song on this album nails it! What I find funnier is how Al put it up for free download on his website - song title again, please?

Total: 9/10. Most of the songs were good, but only Close But No Cigar and Do I Creep You Out take the "bad song(s)" prize. This album is quite nice... Just play that accordion, folks :accordion: There's no longer a Grammy award for polka, but it doesn't mean you can't play the accordion throughout the crappy modern-day music we have.
aaaa

//heds

https://twitter.com/birdhousey" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yankomaniac
Off The Deep End

Post by Yankomaniac »

Close But No Cigar rules. Enjoyed it immensely on the SOL tour. It is a well written original, musically it is almost astonishing at parts but yes, if you are looking for a joke and nothing more than that one obviously didn't do it for you. What about that Joe Dirt on DVD line or have you just never seen that movie? Was a well rated review with the exception of the 0/10, nothing wrong with totally hating a song but I am rather surprised.
What a racket they're makin', Jack, they keep me up at night playin' their electric guitars!!
Heds
Obsessed

Post by Heds »

Yankomaniac wrote:Close But No Cigar rules. Enjoyed it immensely on the SOL tour. It is a well written original, musically it is almost astonishing at parts but yes, if you are looking for a joke and nothing more than that one obviously didn't do it for you. What about that Joe Dirt on DVD line or have you just never seen that movie? Was a well rated review with the exception of the 0/10, nothing wrong with totally hating a song but I am rather surprised.
It's quite good live, but the some of the song and the music video are quite obnoxious. I might have taken it too far with 0/10, but opinions are opinions.
aaaa

//heds

https://twitter.com/birdhousey" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Killingsworth
Off The Deep End

Post by Killingsworth »

Heds wrote:Pancreas: 10/10. Too good and way too catchy - it's one of those "try not to get a strange stare or two if you sing this in public because it's so weird" songs. At least better than singing the lyrics to the cringeworthy "Lollipop" by MIKA.
When has a song with the word "Lollipop" anywhere near it ever NOT been cringeworthy?
Heds wrote:Don't Download This Song: 10/10. Illegal song downloading through an artist's point-of-view = perfection. The final song on this album nails it! What I find funnier is how Al put it up for free download on his website - song title again, please?
Al must have wanted to show us that while he is aware that illegal downloading of his music may have caused him to lose money NOT made from touring and merchandise and the like, he wasn't as heavily invested in the crusade against it as the Lars Ulrichs of the world were. The entire joke behind this song is that he's singing it from this precise moral and financial grey area. Plus, he knew he'd more than make up the cost of being "in on the joke" when his fans actually did pay for the album (especially in Double Discovery DVD format) when it came out.
Life is a bowl of three-legged salamanders swimming around in an infinite ocean of strawberry jello...