Straight Outta Lynwood Full Album Reviews

Moderator: Moderators

CatraDhtem
Off The Deep End

Post by CatraDhtem »

SmileyGirl87 @ Oct 3 2006, 09:34 AM wrote: Is the Canadian release a DualDisc?
Nope, it's a CD and DVD set (but the DVD will not have the bonus mixes as on the DualDisc).
All Things Yankovic
http://www.dohtem.com/al" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Can't breathe like that, can you??"

Make the Rock Hall "Weird" - http://www.rockhallweird.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SmileyGirl87
Off The Deep End

Post by SmileyGirl87 »

Ok, then didn't Al say the International releases got screwed up because of the album art (for the non Dual-Discs?) I assume this is what happened in Canada too, since the CD and DVD will be separate entities.

Now, in the UK, who KNOWS what happened there...<_<

~*Cat*~
Straight Outta Lynwood:

Not a speck of gristle.
LethalCheddar

Post by LethalCheddar »

Just got the CD today and transfered all songs to my MP3 player as for the DVD no White and Nerdy that kind of sucks but oh well. Still don't understand delay as the Musicworld I bought from said they had the Disks last week ?
the8thark
Occasional

Post by the8thark »

Well here is my full review of the new album. Enjoy.

Well I just today received my dual disc in the mail. And yes not buying the cd/dvd pack was hard but I'm glad I waited. And the thing that hit me when I saw the cover was this album gonna be pretty rap based. And yeah that's kinda true. And the booklet is really well done, so fits the theme of the album. And I really like the dual disc cases. But mine is a little hard to close though.

Firstly the DVD side:

1. The Karakoe version is really fun. I like singing to Al. Though I'm not that good at it.

2. The 5.1 surround sound version is really worth checking out for all you audiophiles out there. The sound is crystal crisp and lovely. Great for those speakers you have.

3. The 6 videos are a great addition to the album. A shame "White And Nerdy" isn't here. But I shouldn't complain though. All the included videos are animated.

Don't Download This Song - Most of it is like a cartoon drawing, and true to the song. A nice video. I liked it.

I'll Sue Ya - Another video true to the song. Hey aren't all the videos like this? Yeah so I won't say it anymore. Hehe. A fast pased video, and really makes the song really interesting. Even more than the song itself. Not my favourite video but it's ok.

Virus Alert - This video made me laugh so much. Especially when the aliens appear. I loved it.

Close But No Cigar - I must admit I really didn't like this video. A little Ren And Stimpy like. And I never liked that cartoon. Still It's better then heaps of other artist videos out there.

Pancreas - WTF? This video is weird. You know I've never stopped to think do I like me pancreas. And I doubt many people have. And making the Pancreas the only colour thing in the video just accentuates this. A totally strange video. In a good way? You be the judge.

Weasel Stomping Day - Al writes a lot of violent lyrics. And this song is no exception. Poor little guys. But who is to stand in the way of tradition. (Like Wacking Day for you Simpsons fans). A great video if you like that kinda thing.

4. Behind The Scenes - Video
This is basically Al in the studio with many of the others who worked on the album also. A great insight into the processes used on the album. And quite funny also.

The Audio Side:

On the whole this album in my opinion is a nice mix of songs. Some rap, some not and one which is very weird indeed. So far it's not my favourite Weird Al album. But I think each track on it is either hit or miss. And lastly I would have loved a Will Smith parody on the album. It would have fit perfectly on the album. But shouldn't cry over spilled milk.

1. White And Nerdy (Parody): The lead parody of the album And a great choice too. I'm so not a rap fan on the whole but I can really see thins song doing well. It has a nice tune and I really feel like I'm next to a white and nerdy dude. Well done,

2. Pancreas (Original): Do you like your pancreas? Like I said above I've not ever thought about that before. And this song is all about that. My pancreas. And the vital juices it excretes. WTF? And all this is done to something sounding like a barbershop quartet. One of the better songs in the album for me.

3. Canadian Idiot (Parody): I hate the Green Day song parodied here. Hate with a vengeance. Gross. But this song I think is so much better. It basically just pays out the canadians with a one liner after another. But actually to me the song makes me proud I'm not an Americian. I know I'm not Canadian but I so could be. Us Aussies are similar in some ways. Strangely I am liking this song. Way to go Al!

4. I'll Sue Ya (Original): Al shouldn't create rap. Just stick with parodying it. Honestly this song does nothing for me. Just the music is a little annoying I think. And the lyrics on the other hand are really ingenious. Great. Just maybe starting most lines with "I'm gonna sue" is a touch repetitive. An average track on the whole.

5. Polkarama (Polka): Well I love 2 of Al's polkas. "The Alternative Polka" and "Angry White Boy Polka". Cause those 2 sound like actual songs. Not just a bunch of lyrics all jammed together. And sadly to me the Polkarama sounds just like a heap of lyrics jammed together. Still on the whole, it's a nice polka though.

6. Virus Alert (Original): I love it when Al pays out computers. And this is no exception. I was laughing to hard when I hard it. It's like a softer version of "It's All About The Pentiums" I think IAATP would fit so well on this album though. Anyways Virus Alert is a welcome addiction to the Weird Al library of songs. It makes me so scared of emails, just kidding, but it's a good warning to be careful around them. A nice song with a great groove. Well done.

7. Confession Part III (Parody): A slow rap song. Typical rap sound. Not that much to say here bar I don't like this song. But I'll try not to let that sway my words on the song. But one nice little touch is the 27 reference here. Cool.

8. Weasel Stomping Day (Original): I love the sound of the first 2 seconds of this song. And here we hear Al back to his gory best. A little short though. But great campfire song I think. And the weasel death sounds sound so authentic also. A great little tune. I really like this one.

9. Close But No Cigar (Original): Al's love songs are always something special. So unlike any other on the market. And this is no exception. This is strange. Kinda ordinary as a song but I like it though. A little. But it's so true what the lyrics.

10. Do I Creep You Out (Parody): A really slow song. A touch short for my liking though. But I think here Al does a superb job on the lyrics here. The sweet feeling is so there. I think it's similar to a song called "Melanie" he did ages and ages ago. But this time he didn't kill himself. *sigh* So nice.

11. Trapped In The Drive (Parody): An epic track like "Albuquerque" and "Genius In France". But here I'll have to admit Al, thumbs down. Those 2 tracks are awesome. And I have really tried to say something positive about this track but sadly I can't. It's really monotonous. And well the vocals to me are not really that inspiring either. And it was funny for the lyrics of Albuquerque not to fit into the booklet so you had to listen to it to know them. Sure others might like this song, but for me, nice try al, but this is not a hit.

12. Don't Download This Song (Original); My favourite track on the album by far. Lyrically brilliant. It says stealing songs is bad but with so many great examples too. And the music is slow, and is just great as the finale to the album. I was always thinking this would be great as a backing track to a television advertisement about music fraud and the like. I'd love this track to get a little radio play. A 2nd single Al? One of his best ever in my opinion.

My Final Words:

This album actually despite appearances is for everyone. It has the right mix of Rap and slower songs. I think most people won't like all the tracks on here, but different people will like different tracks. Kinda like according to your own individual tastes. And it's a dual disc or CD+DVD depending on where you live. So added value for your buck. For old Al fans or people who don't even know what a parody is, there is something for everyone here.
weirdojace
Off The Deep End
Awards: I think I got Best Fan Parody when I was like 15.

Post by weirdojace »

the8thark @ Oct 5 2006, 02:30 AM wrote: 11. Trapped In The Drive (Parody): An epic track like "Albuquerque" and "Genius In France". But here I'll have to admit Al, thumbs down. Those 2 tracks are awesome. And I have really tried to say something positive about this track but sadly I can't. It's really monotonous. And well the vocals to me are not really that inspiring either. And it was funny for the lyrics of Albuquerque not to fit into the booklet so you had to listen to it to know them. Sure others might like this song, but for me, nice try al, but this is not a hit.
Have you heard the original song? If not, go listen to chapters 1-3 of Trapped in the Closet and I guarantee you'll have more of an appreciation for Al's parody.
http://nuclearbubblewrap.bandcamp.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SmileyGirl87
Off The Deep End

Post by SmileyGirl87 »

weirdojace @ Oct 5 2006, 06:07 AM wrote: Have you heard the original song? If not, go listen to chapters 1-3 of Trapped in the Closet and I guarantee you'll have more of an appreciation for Al's parody.
TiDT can only be truly appreciated if you've heard the original, and while you're at it, check out the video..it makes the song even more ridiculous to boot..:lol:

~*Cat*~
Straight Outta Lynwood:

Not a speck of gristle.
MarsBar
Addicted

Post by MarsBar »

Note: Some songs may have 2 ratings either for video or music I will also post an overall for each song, though.

1. White & Nerdy: Wow! definitely worth the wait. I have no idea what BTD was talking about. This is just amazing! It blows every other lead track out of the water. It might be because I can relate so well, but it's extremely catchy. 10/10

2. Pancreas: Let's forget this ever happened. definitely the skip song. The video wasn't very good either. 3.5/10

3. Canadian Idiot: I wish it had been more like the original, but still very catchy. I let the curling joke slide.. this time( :P ). 8/10

4. I'll Sue Ya: Very good. Especially the video. The animation almost reminds me o9f a TV show (not sure if Americans get it) called Sons of Butcher. 8/10 for the song, 9/10for the video. Overall=8.5/10

5. Polkarama: What! You don't like it! Ok, I'll confess this is the only polka where I knew all the songs already, but still the best polka. 9.5/10

6. Virus Alert: Music=very catchy and good style parody of Sparks. Lyrics=wow, great jokes. Catchiest original on SOL. Video=well, David C. Lovelace can do better, but I still like it. 9/10for the music, 9.5/10 for the lyrics, and9/10 for the video. Overall=9.25/10

7. Confessions Part III: Very great song considering what Al had to work with. Pretty catchy. Would've been 7/10, but it's the 27 song, so 8/10

8. Weasel Stomping Day: Music could've been better, but the lyrics are LOL funny. I love Seth's animation skills, so it's natural I love the video. 9/10 for the song, 10/10 for the video. Overall=9.5/10

9. Close But No Cigar: Best. Music. Ever. The lyrics are good, not Laugh out loud funny, but good. 10.5/10 for the music, 7.5 for the lyrics. Overall=9/10

10. Do I Creep You Out?: Well, not as bad as some people are saying. Pretty catchy. 6/10

11. Trapped In The Drive-Thru: I don't quite see the big deal behind this one. Sure it's good, but 10,000,000/10? Not quite. Spot on parody of the original, though. 8.5/10

12. Don't Download This Song: Currently the skip song, but only because I heard it 27 times within 27 hours of it's release. Very good song, and a great idea for a style parody. 8/10

Overall Album, including all of the special featues (thank God for Imports, eh?): 9.5/10

Comments: a close second to PH (10/10)
Vote MarsBar for:

Best Newbie

Most likely to celebrate Weasel Stomping Day
Teh Dingo
Be jealous.
Awards: YOU'RE EITHER PANTSLESS OR YOU'RE AGAINST US

Post by Teh Dingo »

I finally got a hold of the actual, physical disc, and :whoot: It works in my ancient dvd player just fine!

Anyway, here goes my opinions on bonus stuff

Don't Download This Song: I still like it. Sorry Don't hit. 8/10

I'll Sue Ya-Best video on the disc, hands down. I love the part where Al JUST CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE! :lol: 10/10

Weasel Stomping Day-Another one I've already talked about. Video highly increased my enjoyment of the song 9/10

Close But No Cigar-I like it, didn't think it was all that edgy (As in the way people talk about it...it was pretty edgy, but not earth shattering edgy either), but I was never a John K. fan really. Still, 8/10

Pancreas-I certainly can see why everyone hates it. But I'm a sucker for that Prelinger Archives stuff (It's the MSTie in me). I like it, I just don't love it. 6/10

Virus Alert-Great stuff. . My favorite scene is the Jethro Tull/IPod part 9/10

Of course I love the studio part. It's great to get a look at how serious recording comedy music is. My favorite part is the WSD section. The making of the stomping noises is priceless, as is Al's reaction during the first crunch "Oh you haven't heard the new weasel sounds?" 10/10

I can't take advantage of the 5.1 because we're moving (Alledgedly. Long story, don't ask :P :ph34r: ) and our system's in storage, so I'll look forward to that. Someday..... :F
You have quickly thought up such matchless phrase?
SmileyGirl87
Off The Deep End

Post by SmileyGirl87 »

spacedingo @ Oct 10 2006, 08:51 PM wrote: I can't take advantage of the 5.1 because we're moving (Alledgedly. Long story, don't ask :P :ph34r: ) and our system's in storage, so I'll look forward to that. Someday..... :F
But you HAVE taken full of the karoake feature, right Dingo?

We wouldn't want to deprive the world of that...:P

~*Cat*~
Straight Outta Lynwood:

Not a speck of gristle.
Teh Dingo
Be jealous.
Awards: YOU'RE EITHER PANTSLESS OR YOU'RE AGAINST US

Post by Teh Dingo »

Yes. Yes we would want to deprive the world of that :lol:
You have quickly thought up such matchless phrase?