Don't Download This Song

Moderator: Moderators

mewrio
Off The Deep End

Post by mewrio »

I'm actually guessing that, if this is true, it won't be called Don't Download This Song. It'll probably have a less obvious name than that.

Maybe the line isn't exact - what if the song is actually about a girl urging her boyfriend not to download a song (or, more likely, vice versa)...

... no, that's pretty lame. I agree with minnick - 2 animated videos would be over the top, and since video sharing and Bittorrent has taken off, Al would have to have a really good reason to do a song like this.
KnottyEmily
Obsessed

Post by KnottyEmily »

badgerate22beans @ Dec 19 2005, 10:29 AM wrote: I agree

If you make another Jackson parody, at least make fun of him in it
:up: agreed
The tsunami of immediacy will wash away the flood of grief, and reveal a layer of naive optimism underneath
thatoneguy
Obsessed

Post by thatoneguy »

mewrio @ Dec 18 2005, 03:30 PM wrote: I'm actually guessing that, if this is true, it won't be called Don't Download This Song. It'll probably have a less obvious name than that.
I think it would be a good title, because it will end up on P2P programs.
Al's #27 fan
Obsessed

Post by Al's #27 fan »

Ahahaha...I can see that now...That'd be funny. :D
Begone, foul beast!
KnottyEmily
Obsessed

Post by KnottyEmily »

thatoneguy @ Dec 19 2005, 10:33 AM wrote: I think it would be a good title, because it will end up on P2P programs.
it will be the most downlaoded song of '06......the irony :P
The tsunami of immediacy will wash away the flood of grief, and reveal a layer of naive optimism underneath
Firstnoel

Post by Firstnoel »

For some reason...reading all these posts in succession (sp?) reminds me of a bizarre Python Sketch, or maybe like the 3 headed giant in "Holy Grail". All this silly discussion about cats and girls and songs. Meanwhile Al's out there making a CD thatmight be going in a completely different direction than any of this.

Maybe these leaks are planned to throw us off? Maybe it's all about Dogs and Boys and Praise for Napster? I highly doubt it but hey it's a theory.

my $.02...

Sean D.
weirdojace
Off The Deep End
Awards: I think I got Best Fan Parody when I was like 15.

Post by weirdojace »

Actually I'm thinking the song isn't about downloading his song, it's probably a song sung through the eyes of someone who rapidly downloads music on the file sharing programs, or about file sharing programs in general. The title "Don't Download This Song" is most likely just to be funny and ironic.
http://nuclearbubblewrap.bandcamp.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kevbo1987
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Kevbo1987 »

I'm not sure I would like the idea of a parody medley. That just doesn't seem like a good thing to me. I definitely think the subject of this song will be less obvious than the title would make it seem.
Oh by the way, I've cracked the code.
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

I'm really excited about this! "We Are The World" was one of those few songs that I absolutely loved as a child and sang all the time! This would be awesome to hear Al parody!

As for the content of the song and video, I'm guessing that the song is sung by an assortment of different musicians (all voiced by Al, of course). I'm not sure if it would be the artists from the original or artists who have been prominent in the fight against illegal downloading. Either way, I'm certain Al would impersonate the artists himself.

I think it would be from the perspective of the artists, telling the consumers not to download illegally. It might take the angle of "Christian Rock Hard," and episode of "South Park," in which they make fun of the celebrities for whining about illegal downloads.

I'm betting that the video will be a combination of two animation styles. One part would be a very straight parody of the "We ARe the World" video with the different celebrities singing. This would be intercut with scenes of a little vingette of a cat character (remember, since it's a cartoon, it could very easily be a cat actually doing the downloading - and this would tie into Napster symbolically since it's logo is a cat) downloading music and then trying to escape the cops.

The scene of the cat crawling could be him trying to sneak into hiding. Remember the original shot we saw? Could be somebody grabbing the thieving cat by the throat. Anyway, this could explain the different animators. You'd have John K doing the wacky stuff with the cat, and this other guy doing the celebrities.

This all makes very good sense when you think about it. The animator said she had heard the song, yet none of the parodies have been recorded. But it's very probable that Al had this song written and a demo recorded for a while, since it's a parody of an older song.

Anyway, I'm really pumped about this news! Best spoiler so far! My only (minor) concern is how well the album will sell. Historically the albums in which he parodies older songs as the lead single don't do as well as others. But I'll be optimistic.

BTW, as much as I LOVE the idea of this song, I can't help but think that the title would have fit better in the Black Eyed Peas song, "Don't Funk With My Heart." But chances are that the title "Don't Download This Song" is never actually said in the chorus of the song anyway.

I'd love to hear anybody's guesses on the lyrics of the chorus. For your reference, here's the original:

"We are the world, we are the children
We are the ones who make a brighter day
so let's start giving
There's a choice we're making
We're saving our own lives
It's true we'll make a better day
Just you and me"
Teh Dingo
Be jealous.
Awards: YOU'RE EITHER PANTSLESS OR YOU'RE AGAINST US

Post by Teh Dingo »

"Don't Funk With My Heart."

AHA! That's the song I was trying to place. I knew there was a "Don't" song this year.

Maybe it's not We Are the World. I would imagine Plympton was placed under the same gag order as the other animator, so maybe he just threw We are the World out there.
You have quickly thought up such matchless phrase?