Don't Download This Song

Moderator: Moderators

weird_el
Off The Deep End

Post by weird_el »

I got this Google alert this morning -- from an article about animator Bill Plympton in today's New York Times

Heres the part regarding Al
Mr. Plympton's latest animated short, "The Fan and the Flower," features voicing by the actor Paul Giamatti and has been shortlisted for a 2006 Oscar nomination. He's also at work on a half-hour documentary for the History Channel on the 1786 Shays' Rebellion in Massachusetts, and a video for the pop comedian Weird Al Yankovic for a number called "Don't Download This Song" (sung to the tune of "We Are the World").

I know some don't have high regard for the Times, but I still do. hmm Al working with both John Kricfalusi and Bill Plympton -- sweet :Y
This means something. This is important.
Yankovic Farley
Addicted

Post by Yankovic Farley »

Hmmm, a video for such an old song? Interesting. So more than 1 animated music video? Odd. Very odd.
'Who are you and how did you get in here?' 'I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.' Leslie Nielsen, as Lieutenant Frank Drebin, From Police Squad
Al's #27 fan
Obsessed

Post by Al's #27 fan »

Is it possible that it's really the same song but two different people working on it? Like, could it be about girls somehow? And shouldn't he get in trouble for leaking?
Begone, foul beast!
Elvis
Be jealous.
Awards: Best Admin

Post by Elvis »

Interesting. Thanks for posting that.

The song's old, but the topic's very relevant. And if how I'm hearing it in my mind is any indication, it actually sounds like it might be pretty funny too. :lol: Plus parodies based on old songs have been the leadoff single on "Alapalooza" and "Running With Scissors" so it's very possible. :Y

It's seems odd to me that there would be two (or more??) animators working on the same video, but it seems more odd to me that there would be two animated videos, so I'd have to say it's probably the same video we've been discussing.

I just wonder how girls and cats fit into all this. :huh:

Nothing on Bill's website about it, and the only "latest news" I found about Bill elsewhere was
Bill has been busy with a new video for the Kanye West song “Heard Em Say”and his latest short “The Fan and the Flower”.
but there was no date associated with that so it might be old news by now.

Dave
UFLM! Unverified Fan Lives Matter!
CB Johnny
Addicted

Post by CB Johnny »

If both sources are correct, this could be "'ll Sue You" with a new name.
Or some hooligan is wanting us to think that it's real. "Yeah, those Crazy All Yankoovich fans know he hates illegal downloads, I'll start a rumor of a song about it." :P
Visit Elvis' website to read "The Completionist Guide" for accessing all sorts ofWeird Al songs (and sometimes ridiculously miniscule) be it rare gems or ridiculously miniscule from 1973 to 2019. weirdalstar.com/uhf/
Al's #27 fan
Obsessed

Post by Al's #27 fan »

Maybe the girls and cats are downloading muzzak. :P

EDIT: That's an interesting idea...I'll Sue You could have been the working title. But then it wouldn't be a style parody.
Begone, foul beast!
thatoneguy
Obsessed

Post by thatoneguy »

A parody of We are the World? Wouldn't Al need like 20 different singers for that? Maybe the video is a cartoon of all the different singers.

"Al has some friends in VERY high places". - Quote from Dave

Maybe his friends are back up musicians for that parody.
Elvis
Be jealous.
Awards: Best Admin

Post by Elvis »

Interesting thought just popped into my mind. "We Are The World" was sung by multiple singers individually and in chorus. Would Al imitate each artist, or would he bring in some special guest stars to take certain parts. How would he handle the chorus parts?

Another thing that suddenly makes "We Are The World" relevant again is all the musicians coming together lately to do Hurricane relief and tsunami relief songs and benefit concerts. Why not parody the one that started it all?

Dave

Edit: :lol: Matt and I had the same thought at the same time.
UFLM! Unverified Fan Lives Matter!
Teh Dingo
Be jealous.
Awards: YOU'RE EITHER PANTSLESS OR YOU'RE AGAINST US

Post by Teh Dingo »

Well, with We Are The World being a star musician collabaration, maybe we could have a star animator collabaration :P

My belief? Don't Download This Song sounds like Al...but I wonder about the We Are the World angle.
You have quickly thought up such matchless phrase?
thatoneguy
Obsessed

Post by thatoneguy »

Elvis @ Dec 18 2005, 11:39 AM wrote: Edit:  :lol:  Matt and I had the same thought at the same time.
Great minds think alike!

It makes sense, if they all couldn't get together for a video (like in We are the World), then an animated version would work.

The syllables match up:

We*are*the*Wo*rld (5)

Don't*Down*load*This*Song (5)

The only thing is, it doesn't rhyme. Al's parodies usually rhyme exactly with the original. Also, Al has never done duets/trios/etc. on CDs before.