Straight Outta Lynwood

Moderator: Moderators

Kevbo1987
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Kevbo1987 »

Bruce the Duck @ Jul 22 2006, 10:02 AM wrote: I thought about that (the idea of a mock sticker), but my only worry with that would be parents seeing the sticker, thinking it's real, and then not buying the album for their kid, when otherwise they would have.
I agree. A Parental Advisory sticker gag would be funny, but you would need to look at the CD up close in order to see that it was fake. For a parent taking a far away glance at it, the sticker would look real and they might not buy the CD for their kids. A lot of parents wouldn't look at the sticker very closely. They'd just see that it looked like a Parental Advisory.
Oh by the way, I've cracked the code.
CatraDhtem
Off The Deep End

Post by CatraDhtem »

Kevbo1987 @ Jul 22 2006, 10:32 AM wrote: A Parental Advisory sticker gag would be funny, but you would need to look at the CD up close in order to see that it was fake. For a parent taking a far away glance at it, the sticker would look real and they might not buy the CD for their kids. A lot of parents wouldn't look at the sticker very closely. They'd just see that it looked like a Parental Advisory.
I think you have good point here. People aren't going to take the time in a store to pick up a CD and look closely to see if an advisory sticker is fake or not. They'll just see a black and white sticker that looks like one and, assuming that makes a difference as to whether or not they'll buy it, move on and instead pick up the Brooke Hogan CD.
All Things Yankovic
http://www.dohtem.com/al" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Can't breathe like that, can you??"

Make the Rock Hall "Weird" - http://www.rockhallweird.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Teh Dingo
Be jealous.
Awards: YOU'RE EITHER PANTSLESS OR YOU'RE AGAINST US

Post by Teh Dingo »

Yup. Even if Al say, messed with the color scheme so it wouldn't look like a parental advisory sticker, it still would have the same effect

Parents would see a pink and green sticker and pretty much have the same thought. A sticker is a sticker to them.
You have quickly thought up such matchless phrase?
weird_el
Off The Deep End

Post by weird_el »

Either you guys are overestimating the stupidity and laziness of the buying public, or I'm underestimating it. I still think it would be really funny, but then I read labels.
This means something. This is important.
Squirrelygirl
Obsessed

Post by Squirrelygirl »

Either you guys are overestimating the stupidity and laziness of the buying public, or I'm underestimating it. I still think it would be really funny, but then I read labels.

I understand where you're coming from El, but I think H. L. Mencken was right when he made the remark about no one ever lost money underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people.

Just looking at some of the remarks left on Al's MySpace shows that even with what is written above, people are still requesting song's he didn't write.

I'm sort of concerned that the pitbull and general ambiance of the cover might throw off peole who still don't know that Al's changed his appearance. I think a poodle or an accordion would have been funny and let enough people know it was a comedy album.
AL! You ATE Harvey!? YOU ATE HARVEY/??!!
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

weird_el @ Jul 22 2006, 12:15 PM wrote: Either you guys are overestimating the stupidity and laziness of the buying public, or I'm underestimating it. I still think it would be really funny, but then I read labels.
No offense, but I think you're UNDERestimating it. Don't you remember when "Alapalooza" came out and they had to put a sticker on it saying "This is NOT the Jurassic Park soundtrack!"
weird_el
Off The Deep End

Post by weird_el »

Bruce the Duck @ Jul 22 2006, 12:37 PM wrote: Don't you remember when "Alapalooza" came out...
Point taken. That did get pretty silly, didn't it?
This means something. This is important.
Dumb N00b
Obsessed

Post by Dumb N00b »

I have to agree that you're underestimating it. Weird Al fans are SMART, obviously, but there aren't enough of us (the truly dedicated, that is) to make the album go gold, for example. The average idiot probably wouldn't recognize a sticker as a parody reading, eg:
Some songs contain
ACCORDION
music. Listen accordionly.
(That's my fake sticker that I sometimes use)
Teenagers old enough to buy their own music would temporarily avoid this, but if their parents decided to throw out anything with a sticker on it, they probably wouldn't see it as a parody.
Dave? Hello Dave? Is Dave there? There's a block in your t'ilet.
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

And it's not even that they're stupid or anything either. I know a lot of parents won't buy an album for their kid if it has that sticker, and rightfully so. Heck, even Eminem says he wouldn't let his daughter listen to his music. Those stickers are so small, most mothers wouldn't stop to read it. They know what the sticker says. It's like seeing the FBI warning on a home video. Most of the time you don't actually read it because you're so used to seeing it that you assume what it says without even thinking about it.

This is one reason that I really hope the album title and Al's name are printed clearly on the front of the album. I'm afraid of a lot of people passing it up because there's nothing there to shout: "HEY, I'M NOT REALLY A RAP ALBUM! I'M A WEIRD AL CD!"
Dumb N00b
Obsessed

Post by Dumb N00b »

I know, my mom saw the splash page for the first time and she said, "Who is that guy? Is he a Mexican rapper or something?" :blink: She, as you may imagine, has seen quite a number of Weird Al pictures coming from my direction.
Dave? Hello Dave? Is Dave there? There's a block in your t'ilet.