Confessions Part III

Moderator: Moderators

TheLazenby
Addicted

Post by TheLazenby »

Am I the only one who wouldn't mind seeing Al do a music video involving Dave Chappelle?

WWWHAT?!

I said, am I the only one who wouldn't mind seeing Al do a music video involving Dave Chappelle?

WWWHAT?!!

I repeat, am I the only one who wouldn't mind seeing Al do a music video involving Dave Chappelle?

YYYYEAAAHHH!

Seeing a video like that would make me skeet, skeet, skeet. :lookaround:
Steve's mixes, lookie!
Lousy Haircut - complete!! http://www.mediafire.com/?xyimjmdjkml
Black Gold vs Santa! http://www.mediafire.com/?zztmgltz2ym
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

Um...what does that have to do with the Usher parody? :huh:
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

TheLazenby @ Jul 25 2006, 10:01 PM wrote: Seeing a video like that would make me skeet, skeet, skeet. :lookaround:
Watch out, man. They're kinda strict about that kinda thing here. 8)
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
Dumb N00b
Obsessed

Post by Dumb N00b »

I practically worship the man, but simply can't see it with an Usher parody.
Dave? Hello Dave? Is Dave there? There's a block in your t'ilet.
Friz
Occasional

Post by Friz »

So.. what's with Al's recent obsession with focussing on comedy RnB/rap?

On Running With Scissors, we get the hilarious IAATP; then we're treated to Couch Potato and Trash Day... Suddenly, on this album we get parodies of Chamillionaire, Usher and R. Kelly?

At this rate, Album #15 will be nothing but rap! Is Al purposely trying to change his style to suit the younger listeners?
Friz.

A UK Al Fan. I mainly lurk.
CatraDhtem
Off The Deep End

Post by CatraDhtem »

Well, he's not changing his style so much as he's merely doing what he's always done, poke fun at current popular music. It's just that rap has been big with the MTV and top 40 crowds for the last decade and a half, so a rap parody is a natural choice for each new album. And this time out, evidently Al felt the need to give two very different R&B artists their moment to shine. It's just luck of the draw.

After all, there's also going to be a Green Day parody, which still keeps Al firmly in the genre of modern rock and roll. Plus, there's still another as-yet-unknown parody and the assumed polka. So Al really isn't changing his style so much as he's just keeping up with the times.

We really shouldn't look anything into it...nor should we harp on those who make such an observation. Either way it's blowing something completely out of proportion.
All Things Yankovic
http://www.dohtem.com/al" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Can't breathe like that, can you??"

Make the Rock Hall "Weird" - http://www.rockhallweird.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Insert Coin(s) to Continue
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Insert Coin(s) to Continue »

Friz @ Jul 26 2006, 02:20 AM wrote: So.. what's with Al's recent obsession with focussing on comedy RnB/rap?

On Running With Scissors, we get the hilarious IAATP; then we're treated to Couch Potato and Trash Day... Suddenly, on this album we get parodies of Chamillionaire, Usher and R. Kelly?

At this rate, Album #15 will be nothing but rap! Is Al purposely trying to change his style to suit the younger listeners?
:angry: How many times do we have to go over this? Al has always been interested in what is popular and "OH NOES!!" he's doing 3 songs that appeal to a largely African American target audience! Oh, the world is coming to an end! :rolleyes:

It's three songs out of twelve. Get over it.
Cane and Rinse: weekly thoughtful video game discussion. Give it a listen, won't you?
http://caneandrinse.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

I don't necessarily think that the songs he chose appeal more to African Americans than whites. They are just songs by African American artists. The fact that these songs have such a huge crossover appeal is why Al chose them in the first place. Hip hop songs that we all know.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
Teh Dingo
Be jealous.
Awards: YOU'RE EITHER PANTSLESS OR YOU'RE AGAINST US

Post by Teh Dingo »

From my recent blog entry

t's funny how this seems to parallell the arguments when an independant band signs with a major label and "sells out".  It seems some people are arguing that Al is "selling out" by doing something popular.  My question.....isn't that kind of always what he does?

----------------------------------------------------

Either way it's blowing something completely out of proportion.

Amen
You have quickly thought up such matchless phrase?
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

TMBJon @ Jul 26 2006, 11:42 AM wrote: Hip hop songs that we all know.
Most of us.
Talking about music is like fishing about architecture- FZ