New Album Neurosis (and Re-intro)

Moderator: Moderators

TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

I thought it said they had recorded eleven songs and they weren't sure if they were going back in to record a twelfth one.
The issue comes down to whether Al wants to take the time to get an additional song approved or just release the eleven he's got.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
CatraDhtem
Off The Deep End

Post by CatraDhtem »

This was the blurb in its entirety:

AL IN THE STUDIO!
Al has finished recording and mixing eleven songs for his new album. Does this mean the album is done? Honestly, we have no idea. We'll let you know as soon as we figure it out.
Due to the whole "Does this mean the album is done? Honestly, we have no idea" part it was merely speculated on here that perhaps a twelfth song was also in the works or awaiting approval, but it was never confirmed that additional recording was under consideration.
All Things Yankovic
http://www.dohtem.com/al" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Can't breathe like that, can you??"

Make the Rock Hall "Weird" - http://www.rockhallweird.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jbracciante
Addicted

Post by jbracciante »

To My Knowledge a "Bad Day" Parody has already been done, about american idol (which is where it became popular)

You Sang A Bad Song
You Wore A Bad Shirt
Simon Said You Were dreadful
And that really hurt

You say you'll be fine
You say your a star
But A month from now
You'll be parking cars

You sand a bad song
for millions to see
and your fifteen minutes
Is Now History

I heard this on The radio station 92.5 WXTU on their morning show(and have an mp3 file of it). My point though, is Weird Al usually doesn't do parody's of songs that other artists have already done.
07: 5/5, 8/6
08: 7/9, 7/11
09: Al Fest 8/1, Al's Brain 8/2
10: 6/17, 6/19, 6/25, 6/27, 9/4
11: 5/19, 5/20, 5/21, 7/13
12: 5/11
15: 6/13, 6/16, 7/31
16: 9/23
18: 3/16
weirdojace
Off The Deep End
Awards: I think I got Best Fan Parody when I was like 15.

Post by weirdojace »

That's not true. Usually he never even knows about other artists parodies of songs. If that were the case he would've never done "A Complicated Song" a year after Bob Ricci did "Constipated" (after which, Bob Ricci was accused of ripping off Weird Al even though his song was recorded an entire year before Al's was.)
http://nuclearbubblewrap.bandcamp.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kevbo1987
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Kevbo1987 »

And as Al has stated, he has the advantage of being on a major record label. Parodies are a dime a dozen. If Al avoided doing parodies of songs that other artists had already parodied, he'd be limited to doing parodies of Gregorian chants and obscure Yugoslavian techno.
Oh by the way, I've cracked the code.
KnottyEmily
Obsessed

Post by KnottyEmily »

didn't Luke Ski also turn "Lump" into "Gump"?
The tsunami of immediacy will wash away the flood of grief, and reveal a layer of naive optimism underneath
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

He did, I can't seem to find the story on his website, but basically he wrote Gump, performed it and recorded it live on 3/9/96. Then the following Sunay him and some friends settled down to listen to Dr Demento, who had a special guest that night. You guessed it, Weird Al. As usual they were playing cuts off the new album, when Luke heard some familiar strains coming out of his radio. He knew his song would just be labled as a copy. To be fair though, Al's was written and recorded before Luke's. It was just a coincidence. One that happened a few times, I know that it was must be very upsetting to Luke, even when he puts something out first, Al has the backing of a major label.
Talking about music is like fishing about architecture- FZ
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

Kevbo1987 @ Jun 15 2006, 06:45 PM wrote: If Al avoided doing parodies of songs that other artists had already parodied, he'd be limited to doing parodies of Gregorian chants and obscure Yugoslavian techno.
I think it would be fun to hear Weird Al lyrics set to obscure Yugoslavian techno.

It would be kind of "rootsy" for him too. :D
"Weird Al" has a charisma that's all his own. The awkward, the misshapen, the socially inept flock to his banner.
jbracciante
Addicted

Post by jbracciante »

Now that you say it that does make sense...
07: 5/5, 8/6
08: 7/9, 7/11
09: Al Fest 8/1, Al's Brain 8/2
10: 6/17, 6/19, 6/25, 6/27, 9/4
11: 5/19, 5/20, 5/21, 7/13
12: 5/11
15: 6/13, 6/16, 7/31
16: 9/23
18: 3/16
Seva
Obsessed

Post by Seva »