New Album Neurosis (and Re-intro)

Moderator: Moderators

U62
Die-hard Fan

Post by U62 »

mrmeadows @ Jun 28 2006, 06:15 PM wrote: So according to the latest Ask Al, he isn't planning on touring until NEXT summer "no matter what happens" with the new album! Does this mean he doesn't expect the album to come out until closer to NEXT summer, or could it still conceivably be released in the next two or three months? I don't want to wait another year!!!!

He was too vague about the album in the new Ask Al. That scares me.

Meadows
:(
Yeah, I was a little bummed yesterday knowing that we could have had the new album.

With the tour postponed until next summer, that seems to kill the urgency factor for the album to be released anytime soon. Isn't it best to have a tour that is close to the release date of you new album? I'd like to see historically how Al planned his tours around his album releases.

At any rate, I'm still hoping for a pre-Thanksgiving release.
My name is U62 and I approved this message!
Yankovic Farley
Addicted

Post by Yankovic Farley »

Darn diddly darnit! I know it's not Al's fault whatsoever, but being so close to an album and having that juicy comedy carrot dangled in front of us . . . just darn.

I hope the album comes out sooner than I think it will.
'Who are you and how did you get in here?' 'I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.' Leslie Nielsen, as Lieutenant Frank Drebin, From Police Squad
Carol
Obsessed

Post by Carol »

:( Oh well, I guess that means I'll have time to save up for a couple extra tour dates, maybe. And see Emo this fall. (yay!!)
Carpe Musica

I'm not being condescending, I'm too busy thinking about far more important things you wouldn't understand.
CatraDhtem
Off The Deep End

Post by CatraDhtem »

mrmeadows @ Jun 28 2006, 01:15 PM wrote: Does this mean he doesn't expect the album to come out until closer to NEXT summer, or could it still conceivably be released in the next two or three months?
It could in theory still come out in the fall or early winter. It would not be unlike how "Polka Party!" was handled with a fall release followed by a summer tour.

Of course, the only drawback to a late 2006 release would be we'd have to wait until 2008 to see if it gets nominated for a Grammy because that's officially the "2007 release season" or some such nonsense.
All Things Yankovic
http://www.dohtem.com/al" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Can't breathe like that, can you??"

Make the Rock Hall "Weird" - http://www.rockhallweird.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jbracciante
Addicted

Post by jbracciante »

Well if the tour starts next summer it wont be good for me, looking at tour dates for poodle hat... he starts in CA and works his way to the east coast, and then back and forth. So i would have to wait awhile (like a month, probably july) till i get to see weird al, in addition to having the album delayed, and the tour delayed a year already. If this was any other artist EXCEPT Al it just wouldnt be worth it. But Since Its Al, I know that atleast with all this wait time i'm definetily getting the best! Unlike Alapoolaza, which was rushed out a year after Off the Deep End.
07: 5/5, 8/6
08: 7/9, 7/11
09: Al Fest 8/1, Al's Brain 8/2
10: 6/17, 6/19, 6/25, 6/27, 9/4
11: 5/19, 5/20, 5/21, 7/13
12: 5/11
15: 6/13, 6/16, 7/31
16: 9/23
18: 3/16
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

I think we should give Al the benefit of the doubt and wait this thing out. As much as it sucks not to have an album now, it has been about ten years since the last time Al had a smash success. I hope Al is delaying this album because he wants to be sure he finds just the right lead-off single. If Em had denied Couch Potato altogether last time around, do you think a "Trash Day" single would've been a good idea? Probably not. I trust Al's judgement and I think that whenever the new "just right" parody comes around, the new album will be released shortly thereafter.

-TMBJon
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
Grom
Off The Deep End

Post by Grom »

The dancing banana speaks the truth very concisely and wisely. And bouncy.
Grab that cash with both hands and make a stash
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

TMBJon @ Jun 30 2006, 01:46 PM wrote: As much as it sucks not to have an album now, it has been about ten years since the last time Al had a smash success.
You must have very high standards for a "smash success" if Running With Scissors, released seven years ago, doesn't count. Seven years isn't ten. :rolleyes:
"Weird Al" has a charisma that's all his own. The awkward, the misshapen, the socially inept flock to his banner.
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

Well you could look at it as how fast the album went Platinum, BHD went platinum in three months, whereas it took 22 months for RWS. So while both were quite successful, BHD was more smashing.
Talking about music is like fishing about architecture- FZ
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

I'm sorry, I still think that any reasonable definition of "smash hit" would include any platinum album. Especially when you consider what a narrow niche genre Al is working in.
"Weird Al" has a charisma that's all his own. The awkward, the misshapen, the socially inept flock to his banner.