The best band in the world!!!

All about Steve Jay, Jon "Bermuda" Schwartz, Rubén Valtierra, and Jim West.

Moderator: Moderators

Squirrelygirl
Obsessed

Post by Squirrelygirl »

I can highly recommend Stephen's albums (all available on Amazon and Steve's website). They are original, evocative, exotic and eclectic.

Jim has some albums, too on slack key guitar which folks might want to

check in to.

sg
stupidsurgeon27
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by stupidsurgeon27 »

Not to mention, never drugs involved or any of that bad stuff. I adore that.

I must soon go to my neighbor and give her an earful. She thought Al did drugs because he's weird! :mad:

-CindyBob

:stupid:
Squirrelygirl
Obsessed

Post by Squirrelygirl »

I must soon go to my neighbor and give her an earful. She thought Al did drugs because he's weird!

That is really awful! How offensive! Give her a piece of my mind, too. No, better yet, give her this...:bomb:

sg
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

No, better yet, give her this...

VH1 is listing Poodle Hat, with a release date of 5/20/03. No picture available.
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

I must soon go to my neighbor and give her an earful. She thought Al did drugs because he's weird!

How pathetic. Drugs are the EASY way. You really gotta admire somebody like Al who has achieved weirdness by means of hard work and constant practice, practice, practice. :P

[as a training exercise, OE recommends carrying an armload of library books up to a bank window and telling the teller with a straight face, "I'd like to renew these for another two weeks.")
Phillipemoz
Occasional

Weird without drugs

Post by Phillipemoz »

You can be weird without doing drugs. I am proud to be weird and drug free. I never have done illegal drugs and never tried a cigarrette, and it's been a long time since I had a beer. I know I've praised Frank Zappa on this forum before, but I'd like to add that he was also against doing drugs, and one of the weirdest musicians who ever lived. Penn and Teller mention in their book 'how to play in traffic' that they are teetotalors, they never drink and never do drugs. And they are pretty zany guys as well.

I believe this will be my 27th post- I was planning on doing it on the 27th of the month at 10:23 PM, but I decided to let this milestone for me arrive naturally.

(note: I will never use this many emoticons in the future)

MODEDIT: Don't use too much smileys please
JDTurnbull272
Addicted

Post by JDTurnbull272 »

I love AlBand's way of taking a song, and changing just enough so it is different, but it still has that "Deja-Vu" type feeling. I ALso love how his originALs are put together. Everything seems to be in the right place. Never misplaced, ALways perfect. It must take Al hours per song. Just the Vocals ALone must take that long!
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Re: Weird without drugs

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

You can be weird without doing drugs. I am proud to be weird and drug free.

WAY to go Phillipe.

Some people (not all) start misusing drugs & alcohol because they're shy, practically crippled by fear of looking stupid or uncool or... whatever. So they start depending on social-lubricant substances and wind up with a worse sort of crippling.

Al appears to have gotten over his fear of looking stupid long, long ago... the hard way, by doing it so often he now knows the experience is survivable. He's got considerable personal dignity, which he's amiably willing to lay aside at the drop of a... poodle hat.

And whosoever shall lose his coolness factor shall preserve it.
Seva
Obsessed

Post by Seva »

I never have done illegal drugs and never tried a cigarrette

Duh, I hope you've never done LEGAL drugs too. :P

Me also. Almost all of my friends used to do "easy" (what???) drugs, and often smoke cannabis just for "relax", but I have pure and clear NEGATIVE opinion about it. That's why they call me weird!!! :biggrin:

And about cigarettes. Well, sorry, but I used to smoke for quite a long time. One day I woke up and felt myself SO bad that I decided to give up smoking. And later I thought: "Hey, thank God I don't smoking, I spended so much time wasting money on such a crap!!!" (sorry, emotions...) "And wait a minute... Weird Al doesn't smoke too!" So, in some kinda way Al persuaded me not to smoke. Thanks Al!!! :onfire:

And dear OE... I sit on awe of you, you are so zany and clever... can't wait for new messages from you. :inlove:

Yours,

SEVA.
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

And whosoever shall lose his coolness factor shall preserve it.
What a heavenly parody, my friend! I like it! :biggrin:

As you mentioned before, DTBS is worthy of being a life anthem.
Al appears to have gotten over his fear of looking stupid long, long ago... the hard way, by doing it so often he now knows the experience is survivable.

In fact he's raised it to the level of an art form. Unlike people who end up actually being stupid through the use of "social lubricants" Al only looks stupid, and then when he chooses to. He is also only "stupid" professionally. When he's off the clock, he is and always will be one smart, dignified cookie.