Official Jim West Discussion Thread

All about Steve Jay, Jon "Bermuda" Schwartz, Rubén Valtierra, and Jim West.

Moderator: Moderators

like_im_27again
Obsessed

Post by like_im_27again »

I loved the slack key festival! I knew I loved Jim's music, but I thoroughly enjoyed every other artist, too. There was such a variety of styles, as Helen pointed out. One man performed the song "Classical Gas" on his slack key ukulele :D...another performed a number of different styles on his slack key guitar, including a Led Zepellin song and a Sting song with a flamenco feel to it.

One of the groups will be performing at the inauguration Tuesday.

These are very talented and clever musicians. I will plan to catch that festival every year. It was great to see you there, Helen, Tina and Nancy!
Vikki
Vargas Chick
Occasional

Post by Vargas Chick »

Yes, the Festival was fantastic! My daughter and I were able to attend the Reception Saturday night in Malibu when Jim performed with Jeff Peterson, and it was so neat. The banquet room made it such a nice, warm and intimate performance. They played so wonderfully together! Most of the other muscians performed that night too. We had a great time. And then on Sunday, Wow!, it got only better! The After Party that they had was a wonderful touch too. You just didn't expect to be able to mingle afterwards. It was a terrific weekend!
Sometimes, stuff happens.
ludovica64
Off The Deep End

Post by ludovica64 »

Arggh it sounds fantastic! I'd love to see Jim play slack key... and Makana too
<º))))><.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´"Not too stupid..... Just stupid enough!"¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>
Jul 20th,23rd 2008
AlFest 1/8/2009
Al's Brain x20
Aug 13th,14th,21st,22nd, Dec 3rd,6th 2010
Aug 12th,14th,26th 2012
Oct 4th 2015
BabyBoolie27
Obsessed

Post by BabyBoolie27 »

That sounded wonderful! Man I wish I could have been there, but I'm glad that you guys posted a little about it! Did he do the duel guitar thing where he plays one guitar part, then does another at the same time!!!!
I like all animals...well except for monkeys, because they climb all over your face and slap you!
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

No, because he was onstage with the other two guys.
"Weird Al" has a charisma that's all his own. The awkward, the misshapen, the socially inept flock to his banner.
albinodwarf27
Addicted

Post by albinodwarf27 »

The Festival was so much fun!! I went just to see Jim (who was wonderful!) but came home with a few other artists' cds - Makana in particular blew me away. It was lovely to see Vikki and Henry, Helen, Tina, and to meet Nina. Wish we'd all had more time to hang out, maybe next year! I fully intend to return.

Jim played Akaka Falls, and the trio played a beautiful rendition of Imagine... and I'm terrible at remembering setlists, what am I forgetting?
We don't fight, we all play nice
living in an Amish paradise
Wizzerkat
Off The Deep End

Post by Wizzerkat »

If anyone likes to stuff the ballot box, Jim is nominated in the seasonal category of the Hawaii Music Awards.

http://www.hawaiimusicawards.com/

We can vote!
Is my dude a dweeb?
AlejandraDD
Obsessed
Awards: Most Violent Reaction to Someone Losing the Al-Man of the Year Award (The Tomato Awards)

Post by AlejandraDD »

Done! I didn't vote for any other categories, though :P
"Some nerds search Weird Al boards their whole lives and never meet anyone." - uwvark

2019: Fort Wayne, Kettering, Rochester Hills, Cleveland, Pittsburgh
https://www.concertarchives.org/alejand ... l-yankovic

AlFest 2009
ludovica64
Off The Deep End

Post by ludovica64 »

Ohh I had to vote for Makana!! He is spiffy!

er obviously that was a different category from Jim..
I love Jim (and his music) of course Id vote for him
<º))))><.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´"Not too stupid..... Just stupid enough!"¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>
Jul 20th,23rd 2008
AlFest 1/8/2009
Al's Brain x20
Aug 13th,14th,21st,22nd, Dec 3rd,6th 2010
Aug 12th,14th,26th 2012
Oct 4th 2015
albinodwarf27
Addicted

Post by albinodwarf27 »

Oh yeah, Makana definitely deserves our votes. :)

I have a few email addresses and voted once with each of them.

I meant to mention this earlier... brought Jim's latest cd to my massage therapy class for our practicum this past week and everyone loved it! It was a nice change from the usual "nature sounds," and several people asked for information on where they could pick up copies of the cd. Next week I'm bringing in the whole collection.
We don't fight, we all play nice
living in an Amish paradise