01/12/2008 Jim West @ Borders, Costa Mesa, CA

All about Steve Jay, Jon "Bermuda" Schwartz, Rubén Valtierra, and Jim West.

Moderator: Moderators

Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

Kristine, yeah, that might have been him.

Lauren, I still call him Jim even at the slack key events because I sort of think of Kimo as the name-among-friends that Jim's Hawaiian friends gave him to grant him honorary islander status, and that Jim uses to express his identification with Hawaiian culture. I don't use it because I'm not a personal friend and I'm not Hawaiian. But that's just me. YMMV.
"Weird Al" has a charisma that's all his own. The awkward, the misshapen, the socially inept flock to his banner.
Kristine
Off The Deep End

Post by Kristine »

Yeah, I totally know what you mean, OE. What I meant by him being "Kimo" is that the setting is the hawaiian culture, not Al culture. It's a mind-set thing... not so much a literal meaning.
http://www.kristinekreations.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NOW CASTING: Perform This Way, A WOWAY Fan Video
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Yup, it's important to keep those cultures distinct, at least when it's a Jim or Steve solo gig. My rule of thumb is that I'll talk to Jim or Steve about their individual work if I happen to encounter them before or after an Al show, but I don't talk about their work with Al at their individual gigs. Likewise, I'll occasionally wear my Ak & Zuie shirt to an Al show (it gratifies Steve and Al doesn't mind) but I won't wear a Weird Al shirt to a slack key or A&Z show.
"Weird Al" has a charisma that's all his own. The awkward, the misshapen, the socially inept flock to his banner.
Kristine
Off The Deep End

Post by Kristine »

The guy you didn't know was Mitch Chang. I was talking to him backstage, and I guess he was "spying on me" looking on here. So yeah, it was Mitch playing bass. OE, he was making fun of your lack of memory, haha... in a joking way, not a mean way.
http://www.kristinekreations.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NOW CASTING: Perform This Way, A WOWAY Fan Video
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Well, at least after this Sunday, I'll remember him NEXT time I see him.