10/09/06 Jim Kimo West- Genghis Cohen, Los Angeles

All about Steve Jay, Jon "Bermuda" Schwartz, Rubén Valtierra, and Jim West.

Moderator: Moderators

SexySexy Joe Lavelle
Occasional

Post by SexySexy Joe Lavelle »

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum, the General Chat forum is described as "Chat about Weird Al", but this forum states "Weird Al concerts and other live appearances".

One other live appearance I've seen recently was our good friend Jim Kimo West at Genghis Cohen in Los Angeles just last night.

Genghis, a New York style Chinese Restaurant, has a groovy little showroom where they have mostly small-scale acoustic shows. I've enjoyed playing there myself and it is a popular favorite among independant L.A. musicians and music fans alike.

Other than the few tunes on Jim's MySpace page, this was my first real introduction to Hawai'ian Slack Key music. It was Jim on acoustic guitar accompanied by a lap steel guitar player. Mostly instrumentals with a few songs with Jim doing vocals (including one song completely in the Hawai'ian language which, for all I know, Jim delivered masterfully).

It was a great show, beautiful music. Can't provide a set list for you, as all of the songs were new to me, but he did do a beautiful instrumental Slack Key version of John Lennon's "Imagine".

I definitely look forward to his next L.A. appearance, and I highly recommend checking out one of his shows if ever you get a chance!
Kristine
Off The Deep End

Post by Kristine »

I wish I could have gone, but unfortunately it was a bit too far to go on a week night for me. I told Jim I couldn't make it, and he said not to worry about it. I'll see him some other time most likely. But I'm glad at least somebody from woway went!
http://www.kristinekreations.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NOW CASTING: Perform This Way, A WOWAY Fan Video
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

SexySexy Joe Lavelle @ Oct 10 2006, 10:29 PM wrote: One other live appearance I've seen recently was our good friend Jim Kimo West at Genghis Cohen in Los Angeles just last night.
:huh: How did I miss seeing you there? It must have been darker in there than I realized!

The ONLY bad thing about that show was its brevity. Did you catch the name of the other musician playing with Jim? He said the name about 5 times and still I didn't get it.
"Weird Al" has a charisma that's all his own. The awkward, the misshapen, the socially inept flock to his banner.
SexySexy Joe Lavelle
Occasional

Post by SexySexy Joe Lavelle »

Orthography Enthusiast @ Oct 11 2006, 12:22 AM wrote: Did you catch the name of the other musician playing with Jim? He said the name about 5 times and still I didn't get it.
Greg Leisz
adoggie

Post by adoggie »

Wow, I wish I could've been living in L.A. so I could go and watch too. I'm actually a university student in Honolulu, though.
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

Jim's got a house on Maui and he plays in Hawaii on occasion. Don't give up hope, adoggie!
"Weird Al" has a charisma that's all his own. The awkward, the misshapen, the socially inept flock to his banner.