The Band's Instrument Topic

All about Steve Jay, Jon "Bermuda" Schwartz, Rubén Valtierra, and Jim West.

Moderator: Moderators

scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

From Steve's website:

QUOTE Stephen's main instrument is a custom Alembic 4-string similar to the Stanley Clarke Signature Deluxe; he also owns basses by Ken Smith, Fender, Guild, Warwick, and Martin. With a 30e\" scale, the ziricote-wood Alembic has an extremely narrow neck. Stephen's effects are a Korg AX40B Toneworks floor unit and an Alembic SF-2 Superfilter. For amplification he runs a MESA/Boogie D-180 head into a MESA/Boogie 2x15B cab. He considers correct volume the key to good tone, so he monitors with a MESA/Boogie Wedge 2x10B powered by an Alesis R-100 stereo power amp.

At one time I found a website for Dean Guitars. I can't remember if he had an endorsement deal with them or not, and of course I can't find it now.
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

I think this answers the drums question

I've had the purple kit since 96 and it's been my main kit for recording since. One of the new songs required extra toms, and it was actually the first time I've used all the drums at once. I don't anticipate using that many again, so it's really a one-of-a-kind picture.

They definitely won't be going on the road, either. They're too dark to show up well onstage, and the white kit I've used since 93 sounds identical to them anyway.
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

Source, jon?
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by TMBJon »

That's a quote from Ask Bermuda. I'm so bored today I read the entire archives.
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

I can't say I've read absolutely all of them.

Bermuda, I'm sure he didn't mean that he is so bored because he read them...
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by TMBJon »

See, that's one of those punctuation things.

I said I'm so bored today I read the archives. If I meant it was boring, i would have said I'm so bored today. I read all the archives.

One little dot can make all the difference.
weird_el
Off The Deep End

Post by weird_el »

Ruben actually plays Korg keyboards. Al plays the Roland for Eat It, and for Dare To Be Stupid on the last tour.
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by TMBJon »

What about Jim's keyboard in Amish Paradise?
catanddogdoctor
Die-hard Fan

Post by catanddogdoctor »

From Steve's website:
Stephen's main instrument is a custom Alembic 4-string similar to the Stanley Clarke Signature Deluxe; he also owns basses by Ken Smith, Fender, Guild, Warwick, and Martin. With a 30e" scale, the ziricote-wood Alembic has an extremely narrow neck. Stephen's effects are a Korg AX40B Toneworks floor unit and an Alembic SF-2 Superfilter. For amplification he runs a MESA/Boogie D-180 head into a MESA/Boogie 2x15B cab. He considers correct volume the key to good tone, so he monitors with a MESA/Boogie Wedge 2x10B powered by an Alesis R-100 stereo power amp.
At one time I found a website for Dean Guitars. I can't remember if he had an endorsement deal with them or not, and of course I can't find it now.

http://www.deanguitars.com/home.php

Last tour he was playing Deans IIRC. I am not sure what he plays this tour. The bass for CP is a twelve string that I think its a Dean but cannot completely identify from my pictures, in the rest of the songs he plays the usual 4 string in some of my pictures I can see a W Warwick? Anyway there are 3 or 4 basses on his set up so he might play different ones in each show.......

Maria, endless source of useles trivia :D
Ratbert197
Obsessed

Post by Ratbert197 »

You can find a neat little article on ruben and the korg right here: http://korg.com/sbytes/article.asp?ArtistID=15.

Im currently saving my money to get that exact keyboard. In the world of synthesizers and keyboards, NOTHING compares to the Korg Triton.

However the Roland synths (which i own and Al and Jim use) are also very efficient