The Big Ak and Zuie Topic

All about Steve Jay, Jon "Bermuda" Schwartz, Rubén Valtierra, and Jim West.

Moderator: Moderators

Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

It's nice to have somebody jealous of me. :P

You could also be jealous of Carlotta and Maria (catanddogdoctor) if you like; they were there too. I met up with a friend, but she had to leave early, during the first band's set. That would be the one Miles (bass) and Ian (drums) are in. It consists of the Jay brothers, a guitarist (he was switching between electric and lap steel guitar) and a singer. It's very hard to describe their music, it doesn't fit into any genre I could name. But if you took some rock, some blues, some of the more experimental sorts of jazz, a hint of a of couple of ethnic music idioms and maybe some John Cage and put them in a blender (just briefly, not enough to puree), that might give you a bit of the flavor. You can only get away with that sort of thing if you really know how to play, and these guys do. I was amazed to find out that the singer had never performed live before, because he had a lot of stage presence. Carlotta described him as sort of like a mixture of early Dylan, early Jagger (we could both easily imagine him fronting a Stones tribute band) and a little bit of Napoleon Dynamite. I'd also add a touch of beatboxer, because he'd move without warning from singing actual lyrics to using his voice percussively. Yeah, pretty indescribable, but interesting.

The middle group, Moose Honey, was a rap group. They rapped/sang OK, the music was fine, they had a couple of girls dancing onstage with them in what was effectively their underwear, but the lyrical content was so filthy that I was putting a lot of effort into not paying attention. I'm not ashamed to admit that there are some genres of music I am just too old or too traditional for.

I will admit, I was afraid that the room might clear out after that set; it was hard to imagine the same audience appreciating Moose Honey and Ak & Zuie, who after all are demonstrably old enough to be their parents. But that was just the fault of my imagination; it didn't happen. That primarily-young audience loved them, and danced through most of the set. Steve & Pete were really taking in their energy, and sending it back out as music. A very good show indeed.
"Weird Al" has a charisma that's all his own. The awkward, the misshapen, the socially inept flock to his banner.
catanddogdoctor
Die-hard Fan

Post by catanddogdoctor »

Orthography Enthusiast @ May 11 2008, 10:33 AM wrote: It's nice to have somebody jealous of me. :P

You could also be jealous of Carlotta and Maria (catanddogdoctor) if you like; they were there too. I met up with a friend, but she had to leave early, during the first band's set. That would be the one Miles (bass) and Ian (drums) are in. It consists of the Jay brothers, a guitarist (he was switching between electric and lap steel guitar) and a singer. It's very hard to describe their music, it doesn't fit into any genre I could name. But if you took some rock, some blues, some of the more experimental sorts of jazz, a hint of a of couple of ethnic music idioms and maybe some John Cage and put them in a blender (just briefly, not enough to puree),  that might give you a bit of the flavor. You can only get away with that sort of thing if you really know how to play, and these guys do. I was amazed to find out that the singer had never performed live before, because he had a lot of stage presence. Carlotta described him as sort of like a mixture of early Dylan, early Jagger (we could both easily imagine him fronting a Stones tribute band) and a little bit of Napoleon Dynamite. I'd also add a touch of beatboxer, because he'd move without warning from singing actual lyrics to using his voice percussively. Yeah, pretty indescribable, but interesting.

The middle group, Moose Honey, was a rap group. They rapped/sang OK, the music was fine, they had a couple of girls dancing onstage with them in what was effectively their underwear, but the lyrical content was so filthy that I was putting a lot of effort into not paying attention. I'm not ashamed to admit that there are some genres of music I am just too old or too traditional for.

I will admit, I was afraid that the room might clear out after that set; it was hard to imagine the same audience appreciating Moose Honey and Ak & Zuie, who after all are demonstrably old enough to be their parents. But that was just the fault of my imagination; it didn't happen. That primarily-young audience loved them, and danced through most of the set. Steve & Pete were really taking in their energy, and sending it back out as music. A very good show indeed.
You forgot to mention that the lyrics were improvised.... it takes real talent to pull that on your first performance for an audience. Moose Honey, well..... what can I say hehe.................... I am just to old for that kind of stuff, not a prude but......yikes! I think they are talented, though. I loved Miles and Ian's band set, they were pretty indescribable, but Miles' bass playing was amazing. When Steve and Pete took the stage, there was so much energy in the place! Thery played great and seemed to be having a good time. It is always nice to watch performers that really feel what they are playing and that is definitely Steve and Pete. All in all it was a great night....

Maria, almost heading for the airport ;-)
If you don't expect too much from me you not be let down -The Gin Blossoms
albinodwarf27
Addicted

Post by albinodwarf27 »

Thank you so much for coming back and sharing your night. Moose Honey sounds like something I'm a little too old for as well!

Did anyone happen to take pictures?
We don't fight, we all play nice
living in an Amish paradise
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

albinodwarf27 @ May 11 2008, 10:01 PM wrote: Moose Honey sounds like something I'm a little too old for as well!

Did anyone happen to take pictures?
Well, I saw someone hunched over a camera phone, but the light wasn't very good.

And herewith I offer one of the very few Moose Honey lyrics that could even be posted on a family-friendly forum:
When I'm buck naked I get romantic
After that, it got a little bit sex-obsessed. :rolleyes:
"Weird Al" has a charisma that's all his own. The awkward, the misshapen, the socially inept flock to his banner.
catanddogdoctor
Die-hard Fan

Well, I took a few, *maybe* one turned out. KF is notorious for bad lighting and I wasn't going to fight with the settings of my camera and miss all the music. I will look at them tonight and share them if I have one or two that turned out.

Maria
catanddogdoctor
Die-hard Fan

Orthography Enthusiast @ May 11 2008, 05:11 PM wrote: <snip>  After that, it got a little bit sex-obsessed.  :rolleyes:
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
taralyn919
Addicted

Post by taralyn919 »

Thank you for the review. I so wanted to be there. The first time I saw A&Z live was Sept 2001 at the Knitting Factory.

If I didn't have so much other travel planned for this year, I would have been there! Haven't seen A&Z since the PH tour/2003.

Photos -- even bad ones -- will be poured over intently.

:) Tara Lyn
An anthropomorphic cat at a urinal? That's crazy!
catanddogdoctor
Die-hard Fan

My crummy pics. Boy, that place is DARK!

like_im_27again
Obsessed

Post by like_im_27again »

Thanks, Maria, not bad for that dark place--they're such cuties. I am very sorry to have missed that night, especially because I would have liked to also hear Miles and Ian play. Here's hoping for another chance before the Al tour starts up!
Vikki
Lauren
Obsessed
Location: on earth in my house in my room on my computer on WOWAY

Post by Lauren »

those pics aren't that bad, give ur self some credit for them :D i wish i could f gone to the gig but i couldn't
big day!!!!!!!!! :D :)

im on twitter i am cricket27l (the l is a Lower case L, just so you guys know.)