Your Solo Work

Questions & Answers with the one and only Jim West, Weird Al's guitar player!

Moderator: Moderators

algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Post by algonacchick »

Hi, Jim. I noticed that for Coconut Hat, you said the songs were influenced by the good times you had on the Hána coast. Although I don't have it yet, what was the inspiration for the music on Slack Key West? I do love your music, and plan on getitng Slack Key West ASAP!

Majalo,

Patti
4 words that Al said to me that blew me away:

"How's Problem Child doing?" - 7/12/11

So awesome!

Al Team #325
like_im_27again
Obsessed

Post by like_im_27again »

Hi, Jim-- I also LOVED Coconut Hat, and look forward to getting Slack Key West very soon.

I just sent for your second cd Nurturing the Garden, and thank you for providing little snippets of the songs on your website. I had to get that one after hearing it--I love the mix of Hawaiian slack key guitar with different styles of music from around the world--great job!

Question: Do you have any plans in the near future to play in public with Steve Jay? I really enjoy hearing you both playing your own music, in small settings. You play so well together, and it's such a treat to hear you both playing your music live.

Vikki
Cinnamon
Obsessed

Post by Cinnamon »

Hi Jim "Kimo" West,

Nurturing the Garden is another wonderful cd, retelling the history of "The McBryde Garden" through music. You were certainly the right choice for this project, but I was wondering how you were chosen for this commissioned work. Did you have to audition or compete with other Hawaiian musicians?

Every song is interesting and unique! In the song entitled "McBryde", the song begins with sounds from Duncan's Scottish heritage before transitioning through time into the Hawaiian culture. What can you tell us about the bagpipes?

---

Slack Key West arrived today. Mahalo. It's excellent! :)