Video Rankings

Moderator: Moderators

Big Spoon
Welp.
Awards: - Most Dedicated Non-Spoiler (2007)
- Best GC Thread (2010)
- Best TTR Skit (2010)
- Outstanding Achievement In Fan Parody (Recorded), Shared With The Rest Of The Minor Celebrities (2015)

Re: Video Rankings

Post by Big Spoon »

The thing with Plympton is, he's an amazing animator and can be really, really funny. I've seen some of his other stuff, and I smurfin' love his work. But for some reason, he just can't seem to animate a video for Al well.
And Peggy
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

Based on the videos only:

1. Perform This Way
2. CNR
3. Ringtone
4. Craigslist
5. Skipper Dan
6. Party In The CIA
7. Whatever You Like
8. Another Tattoo
9. Stop Forwarding That Crap To Me
10. If That Isn't Love
11. TMZ
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
Driew_La_27
Be jealous.
Awards: Best Signature

Post by Driew_La_27 »

Based on the videos:

11. Perform This Way
10. CNR
9. Ringtone
8. Craigslist
7. Skipper Dan
6. Party In The CIA
5. Whatever You Like
4. Another Tattoo
3. Stop Forwarding That Crap To Me
2. If That Isn't Love
1. TMZ
In hiding since 2010
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

Driew_La_27 wrote:Based on the videos:

11. Perform This Way
10. CNR
9. Ringtone
8. Craigslist
7. Skipper Dan
6. Party In The CIA
5. Whatever You Like
4. Another Tattoo
3. Stop Forwarding That Crap To Me
2. If That Isn't Love
1. TMZ
:wacko:
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
Noodles
Occasional

Post by Noodles »

11. TMZ - I've been more impressed by fan-made lyric videos on YouTube. It's a shame that the best song on the album (in my opinion) gets such a lackluster video.

10. Perform This Way - Putting this so low on the list will probably tick a few people off, but I have higher standards for the live-action videos, especially if we're only getting one. While it did have some funny moments, I found it more disturbing than creative.

9. If That Isn't Love - I give this one some credit for actually following the song's story, unlike another video a little lower on this list. However, it could've been a little less weird and a lot more funny.

8. Another Tattoo - It's kinda creative and a little bit funny the first time, but I doubt that I'm going to watch it again.

7. Ringtone - This one is just okay. Not really good or really bad, just average.

6. Whatever You Like - This was one of the few videos that actually had some funny moments. I especially like the part where Wal-Mart was turned into al-Mart.

5. Skipper Dan - This one was beautifully animated and told the story well. It could've used another joke or two, though.

4. Craigslist - I just realized something-- this isn't animated. I guess we did get two live-action videos. I wish TMZ would've been one of the live-action videos, but this one is still entertaining.

3. Stop Forwarding That Crap to Me - This is a few steps above a regular lyric video. It is very creative and actually funny. I think this video gives you the sense of what Al was feeling while writing this more than any other kind of video would.

2. Party in the CIA - Although dark, this was a fun one. And unlike most of the videos, it was funny.

1. CNR - So my favorite song has my least favorite video, and least favorite song has my favorite video. Go figure. I don't mean to be negative, but I am rather disappointed in these cheap videos and would take two good live-action videos over most of these. That being said however, this song's video is awesome. I was very impressed with the work put into this one. It was both funny and creative, which makes it the best video.
giantlobsterrobot
Regular

Post by giantlobsterrobot »

I'm basing this totally on my enjoyment of watching the music video as a whole. I know sometimes the subject matter could've been presented differently. In an ideal world, every single video would have sight gags, parody the original artist and/or the target video for parody. I now understand that doesn't happen in his animated videos much, so I have to set that aside. I noticed my picks are a little different from the typical poster here.

11: TMZ:
I will admit... I laughed a few times through this. I don't like Plympton's style, although he did throw a couple jokes in there. I really enjoyed the ending and as well as all the flashes coming from inside a pizza slice. The butt on the moon made me laugh as well.

10: Another Tattoo:
This had a few laughs near the beginning, but I really didn't care for it much. The coloring was a very unappealing to watch.

9: Craigslist
He did a nice job with dressing up and attitude. The fact that it's live actually adds to its appeal. (My son said, "Nice special effects" while watching it.

8: Stop Forwarding That Crap To Me
At first, I was thinking, "There has to be a gimmick here..." Then there was. It was very creative. I actually enjoyed this video and laughed a few times.

7: Ringtone
I really liked the animation here. The celebrity cameos were amusing. I'll count them as sight gags. Good video.

6:Whatever You Like
The animation of the girlfriend annoyed me a little for some reason, but it was very funny. I loved all the detail that was put in. It was made for Al fans. I can't imagine the average music fan who saw the video to get a lot of the jokes, but it was a good video.

5:Perform This Way
Very funny video. It's not his best live video by any means, but it's enjoyable to watch (though creepy at times :P) and has a lot of humor in it. Great video parody.

4:Skipper Dan
I love this video. The animation is fun to watch. I liked the personality of the characters. I liked the animals dancing and imitating tour guide animatronic styles.

3:If That Isn't Love:
I was like, "Wait! That's not what the song meant!" after I decided to assume that the misconception in the beginning was him maybe not doing that stuff anymore that he used to do (or him picturing himself doing stuff that other guys do and how he's not like that) and is a TRYING to be a good guy now, the video was funny. A lot of funny stuff happened and I liked how it was animated. It seemed to change gears halfway through. He seemed to get the point of the song.

2: Party in the CIA
I really enjoy this video. The animation was cool. I like this style. I loved how they were giving high-fives and thumbs up for jobs well done like it's so relaxed and fun to be in the CIA.

1:CNR
I can't say much that hasn't already been said. It's a great video. It imitates White Stripes, has lots of jokes and gags. Charles Nelson Riley's attitude in it is awesome. Great video. Just as a throw-back to old White Stripes, a LEGO Charles Nelson Riley in it somewhere would've been funny.

They aren't quite up to Al's standard of old parody videos, and I wish he directed them himself.

My son just announced that his favorite video on the DVD is If That Isn't Love. He's watching it for the 3rd time. My daughter however said, "Can you watch any other one besides the last 3? I don't want to see those."
AHHHHH! Neon Noodle!!!
safetydancer

Post by safetydancer »

I present my humble top 11. I think the top 5 would qualify as quality videos, but the rest seems very meh and I wouldn't mind them being left out. Had he divided the money over 5 video's, the faults these had would have been smoothed out and they would have all been fantastic. Unfortunatly, the money has been spread out over 12 video's, giving them budgets that are just too tiny to expect overall excellence.

1 CNR: Lots of fun visuals, nice timing, great stuff

2 Party in the CIA: Very fun to watch, nicely done. Fun timing. I find the way the eyes are drawn a bit unappealing though, and the occasional lipsyncing should've been left out.

3 Stop forwarding that crap to me: this is a very surprising video! It may just be letters, but the timing and energy in this makes it a lot of fun to watch!

4 TMZ: Nice concept, but too thin to stretch out for 3 minutes. Has a very interesting, well-designed art style and cool visual ideas, though. Love that walk cycle with the curly legs.

5 Perform this way: What can I say? Al's a pro. Fun to watch the combination of dancing and Al's crazy expression. It bothers me a bit how obviously Al's face has been pasted onto that body, though.

6 Another Tattoo: Is this by the Ugly Americans guys? Enjoyable enough, using stills gave opportunity to make a lot of funny visuals.

7 Ringtone: Poor design, poor animation. Did use the music for timing though, which gave it some fun energy.

8 Whatever you like: A poor man's CNR video. Didn't care for anything in here much, except for the way the cars moved..

9 If that isn't love: another once with poor design and poor animation, but not much to make up for it.

10 Craigslist: not much to see here, not very interesting at all =/

11 Skipper Dan: boring style, terrible use of flash animation, very dull timing. It's a struggle to watch it once all the way trough, yawn.
Killingsworth
Off The Deep End

Post by Killingsworth »

Well, I think I've reserved my judgement long enough. Tomorrow, I will finally post my review and ranking of the videos.
Life is a bowl of three-legged salamanders swimming around in an infinite ocean of strawberry jello...
Killingsworth
Off The Deep End

Post by Killingsworth »

Here are my quick rankings of the videos from best to worst. Obviously, they are subject to change after the video for "Polka Face" comes out. I will write up more well thought out review later on (hopefully tomorrow).

1. Perform This Way
2. CNR
3. Whatever You Like
4. Craigslist
5. Another Tattoo
6. Party In The CIA
7. Stop Forwarding That Crap To Me
8. If That Isn't Love
9. Skipper Dan
10. Ringtone
11. TMZ
Life is a bowl of three-legged salamanders swimming around in an infinite ocean of strawberry jello...
Elvis
Be jealous.
Awards: Best Admin

Post by Elvis »

1. Perform This Way -- Not Al's best video but still quite disturbilarious. Al's head is too big on the body double, but other than that, no complaints.
2. Skipper Dan -- Love the animation and it really enhances the song.
3. Party In The CIA -- Another video where the animation is really cool and enhances the song.
4. Another Tattoo -- Great job of bringing all the tattoos mentioned in the song alive. Plus added all the old tattoo standards and standard flash.
5. Whatever You Like -- Better than I was expecting. There's so much going on and packed with jokes, it's hard not to pick something new each time I watch.
6. CNR -- Good video, one of the better Jib Jab ones I've seen. I wish some of the supporting characters were band members or more recognizable people.
7. TMZ -- As stated previously, I don't understand all the hate for this video. I liked it. Thought it told a good story.
8. Ringtone -- It's just so low because I'm not familiar with the show or characters it is based on. Feels like I might be missing a few inside jokes because of that. Otherwise a good video.
9. Craigslist -- There are no jokes in it. It could pass as a video for a "serious" song. Just an excuse for Al to make a drug video?
10. If That Isn't Love -- A bit amateurish. Looks like something someone here would make and put up on YouTube. Why is George Michael singing?
11. Stop Forwarding That Crap To Me -- Boring and lazy.

Dave