Album Reviews

Moderator: Moderators

joseyklein
Obsessed

Re: Album Reviews

Post by joseyklein »

Well, with all the excitement over the new leak.. I almost forgot I was doing a review today!! wow, but to make this review quick (because I wanna hear the new album NOW) I will give you just a brief peak into a soundtrack of one of the best cult classics besides Evil Dead, the UHF Soundtrack.

I believe that the soundtrack turned out the way it did was because when Al was recording soundbytes and music for the movie, he also wanted to put an album out, so i believe this is why it turned out the way it did, and freakin hooray for another polka!!!! So here we go!

This is another one of my favorite Al albums, and its got a few great tracks, a little more rock music than the last album, a polka, and a few throw aways as well...

Track 1: Money For Nothing/Beverly Hillbillies (Parody of "Money For Nothing" by Dire Straits)

Ahh, another TV song! This one, like The Brady Bunch, is just Al singing the lyrics of the Theme to Beverly Hillbillies over the Money For Nothing music... I believe that this one turned out worlds better than The Brady Bunch and I'm sure glad that Al chose not to sing the whole 7 minute version of the song instead.

Track 2: Gandhi II

This is obviously just a clip of the movie, and a very good one at that (nice choice Al!!) very typical of movie soundtracks.

Track 3: Attack of the Radioactive Hamsters From A Planet Near Mars

This is by far the best original on this album!! It brings me back to Slime Creatures From Outer Space, with the alien invasion theme goin on its brilliant and I hope Al plays it live sometime.. theres just so much energy in this song, it get me pumped up everytime!

Track 4: Isle Thing (Parody of "Wild Thing" by Tone Loc)

This is what I believe to be the most solid parody on this album, it may not be the funniest (although there is some great humor in it) but it is one of my all time favorites that Al has done, and I love the "Funky Cold Medina" reference, which is another great song by Tone Loc.

Track 5: The Hot Rocks Polka

after the great album Even Worse, it seemed we were all scratching our heads wondering where the polka was... well, we found it here on UHF!! This polka unlike the rest is a medley of all Rolling Stones songs, which is kinda cool in a retro sort of way, and it plays in my head most often, very catchy and well done bravo Al for bringing back the polka!!

Track 6: UHF

This is just an all around great rock song to listen to, it has a very feel-good vibe to it, althoug its not funny its cool, and even better when watched with the music video which makes fun of a bunch of differents music videos!

Track 7: Let Me Be Your Hog

This little 10 second masterpiece happens to sit near the top of my all time favorite originals. It is an all around great song and its funny to see live!!

Track 8: She Drives Like Crazy (Parody of "She Drives Me Crazy" by Fine Young Cannibals)

This is yet another solid parody and one of the funnier ones on the album. This is one that I use to make friends laugh, cause everyone knows a crazy driver ya know??

Track 9: Generic Blues

This is the best blues song that Al has ever done and the funniest... the other ones (biggest ball of twine, buckingham blues) are just throw away...

Track 10: Spatula City

Yet another snippet of the movie, and another great pick by Al.

Track 11: Fun Zone

If you haven't heard this... we're all just a figment of your imagination!! This is what I play before I listen to any ALbum, it just gets me pumped up and excited, much like it does for me when I see Al Live!! Its an Awesome little musical number that will always be lodged into my brain.

Track 12: Spam (Parody of "Stand" by REM)

much like most of the throw away tracks, this one is saved for the second to the last spot on the album. Al is great at writing about food... but this one just doesn't quite make it to the hall of fame. although spam is really good.

Track 13: The Biggest Ball Of Twine In Minnesota

This is another blues track that wasn't done as well and it drags on for 6 minutes. It wasn't that funny, but its still cool to listen to once in awhile. it is kind of cool to note that since this song came out, a twine ball in was built and greeting cards were made that say "greetings from the twine ball wish you were here" Im sure Al was honored by that!

Well, till tomorrow when we will tackle one of the best ALbums out there... good by and if ya happened to snag a leak, enjoy it!
...our neighbors septic tank was the closest thing we had..
joseyklein
Obsessed

Post by joseyklein »

Whatinthe27 wrote:, because it sounded like this girl was young and would like insight on the albums she was reviewing.
I'm not a little girl... I'm a 28 year old MAN!!!!! :F
...our neighbors septic tank was the closest thing we had..
RyanHippFTW
Off The Deep End

Post by RyanHippFTW »

Twine Ball ain't a blues song, and it was hella funny the first time I heard it.
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

"The Biggest Ball of Twine in Minnesota" is one of my favorite Al songs, but it is NOT a blues song. It's not even close to a blues song. Where did you get that from?
giantlobsterrobot
Regular

Post by giantlobsterrobot »

This might help with the Biggest Ball thoughts. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODMye94w ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I do like Bernie running away with the insta-matic. :P
giantlobsterrobot
Regular

Post by giantlobsterrobot »

Attack of the Radioactive Hamsters..., UHF, and Spam are my favorites on here. I was taken off-guard with Isle Thing. I loved it once I heard it, but I thought it was going to be a song about weddings and a parody of "Wild Thing" by The Troggs. And I had only heard the Ms. Piggy and Kermit version of "She Drives Me Crazy", so I thought that's who he was parodying. :P I thought he was imitating those two voices (which made sense with how he was singing... but FYC made more sense after I heard that version.)
Yankomaniac
Off The Deep End

Post by Yankomaniac »

My 2nd favorite album! Like the first one the best, as you can see and I'd put Even Worse/Off The Deep End/Dare To Be Stupid all on my #3, just can't pick out of those three!
What a racket they're makin', Jack, they keep me up at night playin' their electric guitars!!
mrmeadows
Obsessed

Post by mrmeadows »

I really love the UHF soundtrack, and find it to be underrated by most. And joseyklein, I enjoy reading your reviews even if I may have minor disagreements here and there. However, I must take issue with labeling Biggest Ball of Twine a "throwaway" track. I think Al put a lot of time and love into this song, and if I were to sit down and rank ALL of his songs I would bet money this would end up as one of my Top 3 favorite originals. It's a spot-on satire of rose-colored Americana, almost a musical equivalent to the original "Vacation" movie. It tells a funny, rambling, yet oddly touching story about a close-knit family vacation. I get a lot of laughs out of it, and it was one of the few Al songs even my MOM liked when I was always forcing her to play his tapes in the car growing up.
Whatinthe27
Occasional

Post by Whatinthe27 »

joseyklein wrote:
Whatinthe27 wrote:, because it sounded like this girl was young and would like insight on the albums she was reviewing.
I'm not a little girl... I'm a 28 year old MAN!!!!! :F
Sorry dude. I made the mistake of assuming Josey was a girl's name. I guess I should have played it safe and said person.

I didn't necessarily think you were little, (although for how excited you sound sometimes I think you can see how you might come off as being younger than you are). When I turned 35 my godmother gave me a birthday card that said, "Congratualtions on reaching 35, from this day forward you'll refer to everyone younger than you as a 'kid'." Which is absolutely true. So I didn't think you were a teenager, but to me, anyone under 30 is still young.
HappyGilmore
Obsessed

Post by HappyGilmore »

"Biggest Ball" is my all time favorite Al song. Throwaway track? :oo

I like the reviews but that seemed off.