Album Reviews

Moderator: Moderators

sethmartin
Regular

Re: Album Reviews

Post by sethmartin »

Out of all the reviews so far, I'm agreeing the most with this Even Worse one. I think Even Worse is the first completely solid album. Not only do all of the songs sound good, but they all sound good together as a collection. That's something I think Al is more aware of these days.

Oh and you two bickering, please stop. You're arguing over "Weird Al" Yankovic for pete's sake. I love Al too. But its not worth getting that upset over. And I would say that all of us who post on this forum probably have some social awkwardness. Lol
weirdojace
Off The Deep End
Awards: I think I got Best Fan Parody when I was like 15.

Post by weirdojace »

Even Worse is a great album and I'd say it's one of Al's best.

I admit a lot of Weird Al's CDs have one or two mediocre tracks, but I'd say these are good from start to finish: In 3-D, Even Worse, Off the Deep End, Running with Scissors, and Straight Outta Lynwood.
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

For me, the only album that has absolutely no skip track is Poodle Hat. I have a feeling Alpocalypse will be the second.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

weirdojace wrote:Even Worse is a great album and I'd say it's one of Al's best.

I admit a lot of Weird Al's CDs have one or two mediocre tracks, but I'd say these are good from start to finish: In 3-D, Even Worse, Off the Deep End, Running with Scissors, and Straight Outta Lynwood.
It looks like we share tastes when it comes to Al's albums. I agree completely that those are his five strongest albums. I'd throw "UHF" in there if not for the couple of throw away tracks, and "Poodle Hat" would definitely rank among those others if not for the god-awful lead track.
spmahn
Die-hard Fan

Post by spmahn »

TMBJon wrote:For me, the only album that has absolutely no skip track is Poodle Hat. I have a feeling Alpocalypse will be the second.
Skipper Dan and Craigslist say hi :w
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

spmahn wrote:Skipper Dan and Craigslist say hi :w
Two songs I love listening two. Two of the best songs in Al's catalog. Yes, tell them both I said hi.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
giantlobsterrobot
Regular

Post by giantlobsterrobot »

Whatinthe27 wrote:
Weird Al is serious business...

The reason I'm doing all this is because of my obsession with facts and making sure people get things right, especially people who think they know what they're talking about when it becomes clear that they don't.
Wow, you are truly totally self unaware. You're basically trying to tell me I don't know what I'm talking about, when I'm talking about things I experienced first hand, and you're doing this how? by looking up things on the web to see how they happened? First of all, I put up the post for the sake of giving my perspective as an older fan, because it sounded like this girl was young and would like insight on the albums she was reviewing. And you come around as if you're more fit to give that insight because what? you can fact-check online? Well I'm not sure Wikipedia's a hundred percent right all the time. And I'm not sure the web will be able to tell you much on my interactions with kids in high school in the 80's and their thoughts on Weird Al.
And if i'm not mistaken I started that post with "I have a theory" I didn't say I was stating facts. I was giving my perspective based on the opinions of people I knew back then. I can remember this from first hand experiences. The best you can do is try to look them up and pontificate.
Thank goodness for WayMoby, because I appreciate him chiming in. And research the posts on here, I think you'll find there's little interaction between us. It's not that we're friends and he was sticking up for me. I don't even know him really. And I admit my original post could have been more clear, but this is a hobby, not a book report I need to hand in for my final grade. And I think the fact that WayMoby was able to understand my post very well with a little bit of effort, well maybe you need to obsess with your comprehension skills....
I'm also glad that Way_Moby stepped in. A lot of what Way_Moby said was also how I felt. The "3 hits from Polka Party" line for example... I too thought that it was understood that it was 3 of the parody targets were hits. Things like that. Also with the Polkas on 45 parody comment, he hadn't released a polka, so it was easy to confuse it for a parody and not an ongoing gag for each album.

At any rate, a lot of what Way_Moby explained is how at least a couple of us understood the review.
But it's too bad he had to sacrifice himself. Now that Way_Moby is dead, we only have his 3rd Harry Potter album, available on July 1st, but taking pre-orders to remember him by.
Let's not let his death be in vain. *On my way to pre-order the album, I encounter a naked Dumbledore. Blacking out, I collapse to the ground and awaken to a laughing skeleton over my dead body. My quest ends here.*
RyanHippFTW
Off The Deep End

Post by RyanHippFTW »

Whatinthe27, I got more to say, but for the sake of everyone else on the forum, I'm just gonna stop this now.
HappyGilmore
Obsessed

Post by HappyGilmore »

spmahn wrote:
TMBJon wrote:For me, the only album that has absolutely no skip track is Poodle Hat. I have a feeling Alpocalypse will be the second.
Skipper Dan and Craigslist say hi :w
Both of those songs are actually really good.
Whatinthe27
Occasional

Post by Whatinthe27 »

At any rate, a lot of what Way_Moby explained is how at least a couple of us understood the review.
But it's too bad he had to sacrifice himself. Now that Way_Moby is dead, we only have his 3rd Harry Potter album, available on July 1st, but taking pre-orders to remember him by.
Let's not let his death be in vain. *On my way to pre-order the album, I encounter a naked Dumbledore. Blacking out, I collapse to the ground and awaken to a laughing skeleton over my dead body. My quest ends here.*
Huh? Is Way_Woby Steve Goodie? And is he really dead? I thought he was just de-straightened?