Album Reviews

Moderator: Moderators

TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Re: Album Reviews

Post by TMBJon »

Velvet Elvis: Definitely a style parody of the Police, and a good one at that.
Clone Now: Actually a parody of Tiffany's cover of Tommy James. I wonder why Al decided to parody two covers of Tommy James songs on one album.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
giantlobsterrobot
Regular

Post by giantlobsterrobot »

Yay Even Worse! It's one of my all time favorite albums by Al (along with Bad Hair Day and Running With Scissors) and had songs I was familiar with the originals of when I heard it. I only listened to Oldies Stations up until 1996 (and novelty music) so I knew La Bamba, Mony Mony, and I Think We're Alone Now. Not only that, but Six Words Long is absolutely hilarious, and though "Velvet Elvis" was one of my least favorite Al songs for a very long time, I enjoyed the rest very much. I Think I'm a Clone Now was tied for my favorite Al song with Trigger Happy back as a teen. I'm not sure what my favorite Al song is now. Twister was a nice surprise too. I thought it was going to be about tornadoes, but I was so surprised when it was actually about Twister the game. Go, Even Worse!
Way_Moby
Obsessed

Post by Way_Moby »

giantlobsterrobot wrote:Twister was a nice surprise too. I thought it was going to be about tornadoes, but I was so surprised when it was actually about Twister the game. Go, Even Worse!
That's excatly what I thought when I first heard it too!
RyanHippFTW wrote:I like how you had my whole response quoted up there but you didn't even reply to any of my arguments.
Well, considering I straightened half of them away and it turn outs he's 40+, that's at least a couple of your arguments... Sheesh, why do you care so much?
RyanHippFTW
Off The Deep End

Post by RyanHippFTW »

Way_Moby wrote:Well, considering I straightened half of them away and it turn outs he's 40+, that's at least a couple of your arguments... Sheesh, why do you care so much?
And I corrected everything in your "straightening", thus leaving your comments "destraightened". Anyway, I'm doing this 'cause, like I said, I have an obsession with the correct information being out there.
HappyGilmore
Obsessed

Post by HappyGilmore »

weirdojace wrote:Excuse me but Christmas at Ground Zero is also a fantastic piece of work.
Well, that too. I tend to just listen to Greatest Hits 2, which has it as well. So, chalk one more up for Polka Party. I still like the album the least.
HappyGilmore
Obsessed

Post by HappyGilmore »

I gotta say, Even Worse is a really great album overall. Only song I don't like as much is Velvet Elvis. It's fine enough, I just don't like The Police as much, so that probably detracts. Good Old Days, Melanie and You Make Me are in my top favorites of originals, and Alimony still makes me laugh.
TMBJon wrote:Velvet Elvis: Definitely a style parody of the Police, and a good one at that.
Clone Now: Actually a parody of Tiffany's cover of Tommy James. I wonder why Al decided to parody two covers of Tommy James songs on one album.
Probably cause two covers of Tommy James songs were hits at the time.
Whatinthe27
Occasional

Post by Whatinthe27 »

"That album had five parodies and Polkas on 45 which was to most people at the time was a parody of Polkas on 45. So it was like getting six parodies."

RE: That doesn't make any sense.

Actually, here I owe you an apology, it should say Polkas on 45 which to most people at the time was a parody of STARS ON 45. So it was like getting six parodies.
Whatinthe27
Occasional

Post by Whatinthe27 »

RyanHippFTW wrote:A lot of people do think like that, but not every person who isn't an Al fan thinks like that. That is what those other two dudes were saying.
Actually I said "But back then people assumed all of his songs were supposed to be parodies. I did at first. And whenever someone heard an Album played they asked "what's this a parody of?" for every song. They wanted to hear parodies." People, not every person.
Whatinthe27
Occasional

Post by Whatinthe27 »

RyanHippFTW wrote:
Whatinthe27 wrote:If you buy an album, and you're not happy with it, how likely are you to buy the album by that artist when he follows it up? People who weren't happy with Dare to Be Stupid weren't likely to buy Polka Party. I know a huge part of why it didn't sell is because record stores and music fans assumed it was an all polka album. But I'm saying those who bought Polka Party and didnt' like it weren't likley to give Even Worse a try. For further reference when I walked around with an ALtv shirt on in high school, kids asked "what is A - L tv?" Al didn't have nearly as many fans back then as he does now. When I first saw him during Off the Deep End the venue was less than half full. Now that same venue sells out.

For the record, I'm 41 and I was 14 in 1984
I like how you had my whole response quoted up there but you didn't even reply to any of my arguments.
Unfortunately I didn't do it as neatly as Way Moby was able to. I had somewhere to go and hit submit as soon I was done without re-editing it. But you take the time to read it carefully, you'll see I did reply to all of your arguments, it's just in the same font so it didn't stand out.

Just curious, how old are you?
Whatinthe27
Occasional

Post by Whatinthe27 »

Weird Al is serious business...

The reason I'm doing all this is because of my obsession with facts and making sure people get things right, especially people who think they know what they're talking about when it becomes clear that they don't.
Wow, you are truly totally self unaware. You're basically trying to tell me I don't know what I'm talking about, when I'm talking about things I experienced first hand, and you're doing this how? by looking up things on the web to see how they happened? First of all, I put up the post for the sake of giving my perspective as an older fan, because it sounded like this girl was young and would like insight on the albums she was reviewing. And you come around as if you're more fit to give that insight because what? you can fact-check online? Well I'm not sure Wikipedia's a hundred percent right all the time. And I'm not sure the web will be able to tell you much on my interactions with kids in high school in the 80's and their thoughts on Weird Al.
And if i'm not mistaken I started that post with "I have a theory" I didn't say I was stating facts. I was giving my perspective based on the opinions of people I knew back then. I can remember this from first hand experiences. The best you can do is try to look them up and pontificate.
Thank goodness for WayMoby, because I appreciate him chiming in. And research the posts on here, I think you'll find there's little interaction between us. It's not that we're friends and he was sticking up for me. I don't even know him really. And I admit my original post could have been more clear, but this is a hobby, not a book report I need to hand in for my final grade. And I think the fact that WayMoby was able to understand my post very well with a little bit of effort, well maybe you need to obsess with your comprehension skills....

I really get the feeling you're venting out frustrations online because you have trouble with your social skills in real life.