Perform This Way: The Music Video

Moderator: Moderators

Kristine
Off The Deep End

Re: Perform This Way: The Music Video

Post by Kristine »

OMG How did I miss that? I'm a huge Phil Collins fan!! I swear I looked right at him when I first watched it.
Mad Genius
Obsessed

Post by Mad Genius »

After seeing the video, I can safely say that I am both frightened and impressed at how he captured Lady GaGa's eccentricity so well! Granted, like most here, I first thought I saw Al's body with binding and makeup appliances to appear more feminine, but seeing the video a second time, it's clear that this wasn't Al's body, modified with makeup, but rather post-production effects, masking Al's body with the female dancer he used for the portrayal of Lady GaGa, and suffice to say, his GaGa portrayal was quite shocking.

After taking a few video production courses myself, I can say that this was probably done by way of chroma keying Al's body, along with the set, to obtain such an effect. Analytically speaking, my guess is Al wore a chroma key body-suit and choreographed the parts for the female contortionist he casted for the role of Lady GaGa during the shooting of the video, some time ago. The other thing is, if Al used chroma keying, both Al and the contortionist's choreographed moves had to be EXACT to achieve the optimal effect of Al's head being masked on an actual woman's body, during post-production.
Way_Moby
Obsessed

Post by Way_Moby »

Mad Genius wrote:After taking a few video production courses myself, I can say that this was probably done by way of chroma keying Al's body, along with the set, to obtain such an effect. Analytically speaking, my guess is Al wore a chroma key body-suit and choreographed the parts for the female contortionist he casted for the role of Lady GaGa during the shooting of the video, some time ago. The other thing is, if Al used chroma keying, both Al and the contortionist's choreographed moves had to be EXACT to achieve the optimal effect of Al's head being masked on an actual woman's body, during post-production.
Really? I thought they cut Al's head off and just transplanted? Wow... I was way off. :D
WAYFan
Addicted

Post by WAYFan »

Kristine wrote:OMG How did I miss that? I'm a huge Phil Collins fan!! I swear I looked right at him when I first watched it.
Um, are we talking aboot Phil Collins, the singer? Cuz I saw both dancers were young and black.
crazygurl14
Obsessed

Post by crazygurl14 »

Is anyone else completely thrown off now that everyhting in the music part of the forum has been switched since there are no more spoilers and such. Its throwing me off majorly...

I have lost count how many times i have seen this video but i like it more and more each time. Especially now that the; omg this is disturbing factor, has worn off
Concerts i have attended:
memorial day 2000
july 27, 2003
august 22,2004
june 27, 2007
May 29, 2011
July 8, 2016
March 26,2018
July 3, 2019
ACTUALLY GOT AUTOGRAPH & HUG
6-27-13
After show autograph 7-3-19
Al-gal since '99
Aron
Obsessed

Re: Perform This Way Music Video Speculation

Post by Aron »

FredHuggins wrote:Y'know, this kind of pre-emptive cynical negativity is PRECISELY why I'm still so angry at Lady Gaga's manager. When Al premiered the videos for W&N and the Internet Leaks, he was premiering the song and video at roughly the same time (sometimes at EXACTLY the same time). And had Gaga's manager not given him a hard time, the song and video would've been kept under wraps until roughly now. But as is, since Al had to RELEASE the damn song to get Gaga's people to pay any attention to it, you all have had two stinkin' months to VISUALIZE the video in your heads, consciously or subconsciously, and now you're finding Al's efforts lacking compared to your lofty expectations.

Puff Daddy's "It's All About The Benjamins" video had a lengthy intro too, but "Pentiums" didn't need one. Hell, even with the example you all cite, "Fat," the complete uncut "Bad" short film is like 15 minutes long. Unbelievable as it may be, Al's parody of that one scene didn't quite match up to the ambition of Martin Scorcese. But I never saw that as a problem - at the end of the day, these are parodies filled with stupid jokes. Al's videos have very tight budgets, he can only do so much, and those are the parameters he has to work with. It's just plain unfair to criticize his videos for what they aren't, rather than what they are.
Thank you. I had no clue how to convey my feelings about it. I know it's not a huge budget video, nor a direct parody of one of her videos, but you know what? I really enjoy this one.

As for what I expected/visualized and what we got-- pretty close. I was surprised they went to the length to put Al's face on the woman's body, and I expected to see Al in all of these crazy costumes, but it accomplished what I was hoping to see: the bizarre.

I never got into Gaga's music , and I have a hard time getting through her videos. Al's parodied the entity of Gaga without it directly being a shot-for-shot copy of Gaga. There's a lot of Gaga out there to try to take in, and I think he did a great job giving us something that's amusing, and a comment on a current celebrity that is way out there. I'm happy, I enjoy it, and I'm glad Al and everyone were able to accomplish what they could with the limited amount of time, budget, and the very little amount of secrecy afforded them after the Gaga Saga happened.
Aron-- Only the second accordionist to ever sit in the trunk of Torsoboy's DeLorean. Al was the first.
-- Visit my art blog at http://aronjshay.tumblr.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; --
RyanHippFTW
Off The Deep End

Post by RyanHippFTW »

Mad Genius wrote:After taking a few video production courses myself, I can say that this was probably done by way of chroma keying Al's body, along with the set, to obtain such an effect. Analytically speaking, my guess is Al wore a chroma key body-suit and choreographed the parts for the female contortionist he casted for the role of Lady GaGa during the shooting of the video, some time ago. The other thing is, if Al used chroma keying, both Al and the contortionist's choreographed moves had to be EXACT to achieve the optimal effect of Al's head being masked on an actual woman's body, during post-production.
People on the forum involved with the video have said that the body doubles had black dots on their face. Al's face was put on the lady's body, not her body on his... |)
Way_Moby
Obsessed

Post by Way_Moby »

That's what he said...
Well, Well, Well
Bob Rozga

Post by Well, Well, Well »

WHAT
taste is only something if it is yours.
ludovica64
Off The Deep End

Post by ludovica64 »

RyanHippFTW wrote: People on the forum involved with the video have said that the body doubles had black dots on their face. Al's face was put on the lady's body, not her body on his... |)
This makes sense as Al is evidently much taller, which is why the features of his face look disproportionate on the woman's smaller frame. Messing with physical proportions often gives a bit of a bizarre caricatured look (Jib Jab's stock in trade) If they'd got a taller girl it would have been better for the physical match, but would not have looked like Gaga, who is pretty small
<º))))><.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´"Not too stupid..... Just stupid enough!"¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>
Jul 20th,23rd 2008
AlFest 1/8/2009
Al's Brain x20
Aug 13th,14th,21st,22nd, Dec 3rd,6th 2010
Aug 12th,14th,26th 2012
Oct 4th 2015