Worst Track?

Moderator: Moderators

Way_Moby
Obsessed

Re: Worst Track?

Post by Way_Moby »

I'll reiterate that I don't like "Ringtone," but it's not terrible. I believe I ranked it at (7/10). I really like "Craigslist" and a lot of people don't... I love The Doors.
Kevbo1987
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Kevbo1987 »

Ringtone is still my least favorite by a mile. As many times as I've listened to it, it still hasn't really grown on me. The only funny part is the part where he talks about all the different types of people who hate his ringtone (Chinese Factory workers, etc).
Grom
Off The Deep End

Post by Grom »

I 100% do not understand the hate/dislike for Ringtone. It's a perfect style parody of Queen, and a generally good, funny song.

As for my least favourite, I'm having to go with Whatever You Like. Definitely grown on me since it first came out (when I almost hated it), but it is without a doubt the least-good of the songs.
Grab that cash with both hands and make a stash
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

Killingsworth wrote:I wasn't feeling "If That Isn't Love" at first, but I'm sure it will grow on me eventually. Some of the funny lyrics were ruined by the really stupid ones.
I don't know if I'd agree that the funny lyrics are ruined, but the song does have kind of a split personality. Most of the song is very funny (and kind of touching) in a real-relationship-exaggerated sort of way (holding the ladder, the TMI handwarmer) and then there are some lines that just seem as though Al raked 'em into this song because he had leftovers from Confessions, part II (forgetting the woman's name, wiping his nose on the sofa).
weirdojace
Off The Deep End
Awards: I think I got Best Fan Parody when I was like 15.

Post by weirdojace »

Grom wrote:I 100% do not understand the hate/dislike for Ringtone. It's a perfect style parody of Queen, and a generally good, funny song.
The problem with Ringtone is that it isn't very funny. It's a one-joke concept and there's not any rapidfire jokes going on. BUT, it's a good song in its own right and that's what matters to me. I like it a lot.
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

Ringtone is saved for me because it is a really really good song musically. If it was done in some other style I might not necessarily like a song with those lyrics but paired up with Queen it just works. For me there are many different ways I enjoy a Weird Al song. Actual joke content in the lyrics is one criterion I know a lot of people are citing on this topic but for me an even more important barometer is the juxtaposition of the subject matter in relation to the style in which the song is performed. For example, I think Craigslist works so well because of the surreal/anachronistic idea of Jim Morrison singing about Craigslist. Similarly I like the idea of a Queen song where Freddie Mercury is singing an over the top ballad about his annoying ringtone. There are a handful of funny lines, too, but the main enjoyment of Ringtone for me is the subject/style juxtaposition as well as just a really catchy great tune that I enjoy listening to in its own right regardless of comedic content.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
WeirdMary0427
Obsessed

Post by WeirdMary0427 »

Amen to that, Jon. Those are my exact feelings.
I feel the same way about Ringtone as I do about Virus Alert. They're not hilarious, but musically, they're fantastic.

My least favorite on this album is definitely Whatever You Like. It doesn't help that right after it is SFTCTM...which I love. So I always end up skipping WYL. The original is terrible itself, and the fact that the lyrics to the parody aren't funny doesn't help it that much. There is just no way of making that song good, haha.
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Worst Track?

Post by minnick27 »

WYL isn't bad, I think the subject brings people down. The video was hilarious. I remember liking it when it came out
Talking about music is like fishing about architecture- FZ
Yankomaniac
Off The Deep End

Post by Yankomaniac »

No way its the worst track on the album, just cause its older. It is not bad in any way IMO.
What a racket they're makin', Jack, they keep me up at night playin' their electric guitars!!
weirdojace
Off The Deep End
Awards: I think I got Best Fan Parody when I was like 15.

Post by weirdojace »

Whatever You Like is one of the most clever parodies Al has ever written. So dead on.
WeirdMary0427 wrote:Amen to that, Jon. Those are my exact feelings.
I feel the same way about Ringtone as I do about Virus Alert. They're not hilarious, but musically, they're fantastic.
Yeah. I mean, listening to a Weird Al album isn't all about the jokes. He actually has a lot of songs that aren't hilarious, but really are just good songs that are pleasing to listen to. That's my mindset going in, so I don't ever think "rawr this song didn't make me laugh out loud, it sucks!" From a songwriting standpoint, stuff like Ringtone, Skipper Dan, Frank's 2000" TV, Airline Amy... I could go on and on... they're just good songs.