Another Tattoo

Moderator: Moderators

JCM
Off The Deep End
Awards: Most Annoying User

Re: (spoiler) Another Tattoo

Post by JCM »

Maybe there wasn't a joke.
How old was that last signature? I mean, really?
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

Okay, I just saw the speculation of Jordin Sparks in the Alpocalypse thread, and went on YouTube to watch it. Now, I can't believe this suggestion was overlooked by everyone in here. Well, Greg mentioned it, but then the suggestion was dropped. Now, having reviewed the Jordin Sparks song, I don't know why that suggestion was ignored in favor of the more popular suggestion of "Nothin' on You"

After watching it, I feel like this actually could be the Jordin Sparks song. The syllables fit "Tattoo" a lot better than "Nothin' on You":

"Just like a tattoo"
"Another tattoo"

I like this idea - and if it's true, this album will forever crush the notion that Al tries to steer away from parodies of female artists. Along with this one and the likely candidate of "Teenage Dream", Al will have FOUR parodies of female artists - A record for him. The previous album with the most female artists was the debut album with Toni Basil, Joan Jett, and Stevie Nicks. Also, the polka is loaded with female artists this time as well - Lady Gaga (twice), Britney Spears, Kei$a, Justin Beiber...
Grom
Off The Deep End

Post by Grom »

Bruce the Duck wrote:Also, the polka is loaded with female artists this time as well - Lady Gaga (twice), Britney Spears, Kei$a, Justin Beiber...
It's subtle humour like this that makes me glad you're back.
Grab that cash with both hands and make a stash
Marko_The_Odd
Die-hard Fan

Post by Marko_The_Odd »

I think one big factor as to why the Jordin Sparks had been ignored was that it's not very fresh and new. I think it would be the oldest song parodied on the album and just seems kind of random as to why Al would decide to use that song.
joseyklein
Obsessed

Post by joseyklein »

he can use any song he wants, I personally don't care what he parodies cause it'll always be great no matter how new/old the song is
...our neighbors septic tank was the closest thing we had..
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

Yeah, I think this is a very strong candidate. Very catchy beat
JCM
Off The Deep End
Awards: Most Annoying User

Post by JCM »

Grom wrote:
Bruce the Duck wrote:Also, the polka is loaded with female artists this time as well - Lady Gaga (twice), Britney Spears, Kei$a, Justin Beiber...
It's subtle humour like this that makes me glad you're back.
Subtle humor? What are you talking ab

Got dang it, Grom X*

Also, Jordin Sparks would be a viable candidate for the parody, but I don't like her music, so I'll discard the suggestion.
How old was that last signature? I mean, really?
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

Marko_The_Odd wrote:I think one big factor as to why the Jordin Sparks had been ignored was that it's not very fresh and new. I think it would be the oldest song parodied on the album and just seems kind of random as to why Al would decide to use that song.
That's certainly true. The song came out in 2007, making it almost four years old. And it isn't exactly as much of a hit as I Want it That Way was. But the beat and title just seems to fit a lot stronger than "Nothin' on You," which is the most widely held prediction. I was convinced it would be NOY, until I listened to "Tattoo".

One other reason why he might have chosen Jordin Sparks - In 2006, Al totally jumped the gun in assuming that Taylor Hicks would go on to be the next huge American Idol, and Hicks turned out to be one of Idol's biggest flops. This could be Al's way of making up for that by parodying a more solid American Idol.
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

I have to think if he were going to parody a solid American Idol winner he would go with Carrie Underwood or Kelly Clarkson. I think Jordan Sparks is sort of already a has-been. Another reason against the Sparks theory: why would Al parody a song called "Tattoo" with "Another Tattoo"? I know he did something similar with Confessions Part III, but that's a little different because in that case he was directly satirizing the concept of the original song. The Sparks song is not nearly popular enough to merit a Weird Al parody, especially not four years later.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

TMBJon wrote:I have to think if he were going to parody a solid American Idol winner he would go with Carrie Underwood or Kelly Clarkson. I think Jordan Sparks is sort of already a has-been. Another reason against the Sparks theory: why would Al parody a song called "Tattoo" with "Another Tattoo"? I know he did something similar with Confessions Part III, but that's a little different because in that case he was directly satirizing the concept of the original song.
Well, in the original song, the tattoo is a simile. She's not actually singing about a tattoo at all. Al's song is/would be about someone getting more and more tattos, so it'd still use the title but it'd be about something different. And "Confessions Part III" isn't the only example of Al barely changing the title/chorus. He kept the exact same title for "Whatever You Like," and used an identical chorus for his parody of "Mmm, Mmm, Mmm, Mmm".