Perform This Way

Re: Perform This Way

by PlayAWarGame » Wed May 25, 2011 6:48 pm

Rolling Stone just reported that Lady Gaga is proud to have been parodied by Weird Al, thinks that it's an indicator that she's successful, and fully approves of the parody and considers it to be "empowering".
It doesn't matter if I do things for a reason, or on a W-H-I-M... Just stand back and enjoy the show, cuz baby, I perform this way!
PlayAWarGame
Occasional
 
Posts: 133
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:34 am

Re: Perform This Way

by The Sporkman » Wed May 25, 2011 7:18 pm

PlayAWarGame wrote:Rolling Stone just reported that Lady Gaga is proud to have been parodied by Weird Al, thinks that it's an indicator that she's successful, and fully approves of the parody and considers it to be "empowering".


And here's the link:

http://www.rollingstone.com/videos/new- ... g-20110525
The Sporkman
Addicted
 
Posts: 910
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2003 8:29 pm
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska

Re: Perform This Way

by JEDM » Wed May 25, 2011 8:24 pm

I'd be curious to know what her manager is thinking now. I guess we'll never know.
JEDM
Deliriously Dedicated
 
Posts: 25970
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:52 am

Re: Perform This Way

by ludovica64 » Wed May 25, 2011 8:33 pm

I dont suppose he loses sleep over it. He evidently was not an Al fan himself as he ascribed no importance to the request. He made a wrong call, but has apologized and I daresay all parties are ok about it. At the end of the day, the Gaga Saga has generated buzz that is overall positive for both acts and their new albums so its a win-win really
<º))))><.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´"Not too stupid..... Just stupid enough!"¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>
Jul 20th,23rd 2008
AlFest 1/8/2009
Al's Brain x20
Aug 13th,14th,21st,22nd, Dec 3rd,6th 2010
Aug 12th,14th,26th 2012
Oct 4th 2015
User avatar
ludovica64
Off The Deep End
 
Posts: 5048
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:59 am
Location: Hampshire, England

Re: Perform This Way

by mrmeadows » Wed May 25, 2011 9:24 pm

That's cool. Sounds like Gaga has the right mindset about the parody. . .it makes fun of her, but in an odd way simultaneously defends her.
User avatar
mrmeadows
Obsessed
 
Posts: 1587
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2002 10:18 am
Location: Burbank, CA

Re: Perform This Way

by Orthography Enthusiast » Thu May 26, 2011 12:54 am

JEDM wrote:I'd be curious to know what her manager is thinking now. I guess we'll never know.


He's thinking he's glad he has his job. Really, if the Accepted Version is also the Real Version, there had to have been some real bone-headedness going on there. Because SOMEBODY in Gaga's camp had already cleared Poker Face for use in the polka, so it's not as though Weird Al was hitherto off their radar.
User avatar
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated
 
Posts: 11156
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Tue Sep 10, 2002 7:58 am
Location: Lynwood, CA

Re: Perform This Way

by JCM » Thu May 26, 2011 1:55 am

If that manager isn't fired, I've lost all faith in humanity.
How old was that last signature? I mean, really?
User avatar
JCM
Off The Deep End
 
Posts: 2786
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:46 pm
Location: AMERICA

Re: Perform This Way

by weirdojace » Thu May 26, 2011 2:21 am

Orthography Enthusiast wrote:
JEDM wrote:I'd be curious to know what her manager is thinking now. I guess we'll never know.


He's thinking he's glad he has his job. Really, if the Accepted Version is also the Real Version, there had to have been some real bone-headedness going on there. Because SOMEBODY in Gaga's camp had already cleared Poker Face for use in the polka, so it's not as though Weird Al was hitherto off their radar.


It would be much easier to get permission for the polkas, because all Al needs to do is buy the license to use the lyrics. And legally, nobody can stop you from covering someone else's song. Also, that would go through Lady Gaga's publisher, not her manager. And publishers will sign off on pretty much anything, because it's their job to exploit the songs they own.
User avatar
weirdojace
Off The Deep End
 
Posts: 5107
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2003 9:23 pm
Location: TN

Re: Perform This Way

by Way_Moby » Thu May 26, 2011 2:22 am

weirdojace wrote:It would be much easier to get permission for the polkas, because all Al needs to do is buy the license to use the lyrics. And legally, nobody can stop you from covering someone else's song. Also, that would go through Lady Gaga's publisher, not her manager. And publishers will sign off on pretty much anything, because it's their job to exploit the songs they own.


That's true, unless you're someone like Prince. I'm sure the song publisher would LOVE to get that extra royalty for "Polka Face." $ $$$ $
User avatar
Way_Moby
Obsessed
 
Posts: 1414
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:19 pm
Location: Kansas

Re: Perform This Way

by HappyGilmore » Thu May 26, 2011 2:27 am

mrmeadows wrote:That's cool. Sounds like Gaga has the right mindset about the parody. . .it makes fun of her, but in an odd way simultaneously defends her.

Yeah. I was gonna say the same thing overall.

Plus it does seem like she has some semblance of a sense of humor. I mean, she did do a Digital Short with Justin Timberlake and Andy Samberg (yeah, the reprised their two dudes again).

I like her though, so eh.
User avatar
HappyGilmore
Obsessed
 
Posts: 1892
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:19 pm
Location: Philly

PreviousNext

Return to Alpocalypse



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest