Perform This Way

Moderator: Moderators

spmahn
Die-hard Fan

Re: Perform This Way (New song on YouTube)

Post by spmahn »

On the one hand, the song, while good, is a bit mean spirited IMHO, and I can definitely see Lady Gaga rejecting it on the basis of it being a message song in the same way Al was rejected by MJ for Snack All Night. On the other hand, it's all in good fun, and from the sounds of it, Lady Gaga had some very unreasonable demands. The worst part of this is the fact that the album is now in all likelyhood going to be delayed, and I think the longer it's delayed, the more likely it is that Al will be pressured by his label to just release something, anything, even if it's sub-par.
ludovica64
Off The Deep End

Post by ludovica64 »

BUT SHE HAD THE LYRICS BEFOREHAND!!! ... and still made him record it before getting the rejection.. Poor Al.. Lost all respect for Gaga.. what an idiot
<º))))><.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´"Not too stupid..... Just stupid enough!"¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>
Jul 20th,23rd 2008
AlFest 1/8/2009
Al's Brain x20
Aug 13th,14th,21st,22nd, Dec 3rd,6th 2010
Aug 12th,14th,26th 2012
Oct 4th 2015
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

Maybe now he'll wait for Tha Carter IV.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
Muldernscully
Addicted

Post by Muldernscully »

spmahn wrote:On the one hand, the song, while good, is a bit mean spirited IMHO, and I can definitely see Lady Gaga rejecting it on the basis of it being a message song in the same way Al was rejected by MJ for Snack All Night. On the other hand, it's all in good fun, and from the sounds of it, Lady Gaga had some very unreasonable demands. The worst part of this is the fact that the album is now in all likelyhood going to be delayed, and I think the longer it's delayed, the more likely it is that Al will be pressured by his label to just release something, anything, even if it's sub-par.
I don't think it's any more mean-spirited than 'Smells Like Teen Nirvana' or 'Achy Breaky Song'.
Last edited by Muldernscully on Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
weirdojace
Off The Deep End
Awards: I think I got Best Fan Parody when I was like 15.

Post by weirdojace »

JEDM wrote:Question that I think I know the answer to: Did Al have to contact Gaga to include her in the new polka?
Probably not. You just have to buy a license from the publisher to use somebody else's lyrics. That's it.
i_love_yankovic
Obsessed

Post by i_love_yankovic »

spmahn wrote:On the one hand, the song, while good, is a bit mean spirited IMHO, and I can definitely see Lady Gaga rejecting it on the basis of it being a message song in the same way Al was rejected by MJ for Snack All Night. On the other hand, it's all in good fun, and from the sounds of it, Lady Gaga had some very unreasonable demands. The worst part of this is the fact that the album is now in all likelyhood going to be delayed, and I think the longer it's delayed, the more likely it is that Al will be pressured by his label to just release something, anything, even if it's sub-par.
I can see that too. BUT she had the lyrics. She already knew what it was about and every word he would have said about her. Why make him jump through all those hoops? It's just rude and unprofessional. I always thought she had a healthy attitude about critics, mostly ignoring them and continuing to do whatever she wanted. But what is this about? I just don't understand.

I really get the feeling that she dismissed Al as small-time and assumed that this would go by unnoticed.
mrmeadows
Obsessed

Post by mrmeadows »

spmahn wrote:On the one hand, the song, while good, is a bit mean spirited IMHO, and I can definitely see Lady Gaga rejecting it on the basis of it being a message song in the same way Al was rejected by MJ for Snack All Night. .
I didn't think it was that mean-spirited. As was pointed out earlier, "Achy Breaky Song" was way meaner. This was just pointing out that Lady Gaga has a rather eccentric wardrobe. Not exactly a news flash, and she certainly must realize that she opens herself up to lampooning when she goes around wearing meat dresses. The song isn't really even that much of an exaggeration, really. (Hard to do, when talking about Gaga's wardrobe.) And she had the flipping lyrics!! The time to reject it was then! There was no need to ask Al to RECORD a fully-produced song in studio before giving the thumbs down.
spmahn
Die-hard Fan

Post by spmahn »

Muldernscully wrote:
I don't think it's any more mean-spirited than 'Smells Like Teen Spirit' or 'Achy Breaky Song'.
Yeah, but those songs weren't necessarily personal attacks about a specific person. I would equate this more to It's Still Billy Joel to Me than the other 2 songs, which were more about poking fun at the original songs themselves than the person singing them.
JCM
Off The Deep End
Awards: Most Annoying User

Post by JCM »

I told you it was a Lady Gaga parody. I freaking told you! I bet he'll find a way to sneak it on the album, too. Fight the system!
How old was that last signature? I mean, really?
WeirdAlIsMyHomeboy

Post by WeirdAlIsMyHomeboy »

Atleast when Al rips off Madonna he admits it :)
unlike that dumbass Lady Gaga...

God I hope that stupid bitch gets so much hate for this... that was so mean what she did to Al