Perform This Way

Moderator: Moderators

PlayAWarGame
Occasional

Re: Perform This Way

Post by PlayAWarGame »

Rolling Stone just reported that Lady Gaga is proud to have been parodied by Weird Al, thinks that it's an indicator that she's successful, and fully approves of the parody and considers it to be "empowering".
It doesn't matter if I do things for a reason, or on a W-H-I-M... Just stand back and enjoy the show, cuz baby, I perform this way!
The Sporkman
Addicted

Post by The Sporkman »

PlayAWarGame wrote:Rolling Stone just reported that Lady Gaga is proud to have been parodied by Weird Al, thinks that it's an indicator that she's successful, and fully approves of the parody and considers it to be "empowering".
And here's the link:

http://www.rollingstone.com/videos/new- ... g-20110525" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JEDM
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by JEDM »

I'd be curious to know what her manager is thinking now. I guess we'll never know.
ludovica64
Off The Deep End

Post by ludovica64 »

I dont suppose he loses sleep over it. He evidently was not an Al fan himself as he ascribed no importance to the request. He made a wrong call, but has apologized and I daresay all parties are ok about it. At the end of the day, the Gaga Saga has generated buzz that is overall positive for both acts and their new albums so its a win-win really
<º))))><.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´"Not too stupid..... Just stupid enough!"¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>
Jul 20th,23rd 2008
AlFest 1/8/2009
Al's Brain x20
Aug 13th,14th,21st,22nd, Dec 3rd,6th 2010
Aug 12th,14th,26th 2012
Oct 4th 2015
mrmeadows
Obsessed

Post by mrmeadows »

That's cool. Sounds like Gaga has the right mindset about the parody. . .it makes fun of her, but in an odd way simultaneously defends her.
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

JEDM wrote:I'd be curious to know what her manager is thinking now. I guess we'll never know.
He's thinking he's glad he has his job. Really, if the Accepted Version is also the Real Version, there had to have been some real bone-headedness going on there. Because SOMEBODY in Gaga's camp had already cleared Poker Face for use in the polka, so it's not as though Weird Al was hitherto off their radar.
JCM
Off The Deep End
Awards: Most Annoying User

Post by JCM »

If that manager isn't fired, I've lost all faith in humanity.
How old was that last signature? I mean, really?
weirdojace
Off The Deep End
Awards: I think I got Best Fan Parody when I was like 15.

Post by weirdojace »

Orthography Enthusiast wrote:
JEDM wrote:I'd be curious to know what her manager is thinking now. I guess we'll never know.
He's thinking he's glad he has his job. Really, if the Accepted Version is also the Real Version, there had to have been some real bone-headedness going on there. Because SOMEBODY in Gaga's camp had already cleared Poker Face for use in the polka, so it's not as though Weird Al was hitherto off their radar.
It would be much easier to get permission for the polkas, because all Al needs to do is buy the license to use the lyrics. And legally, nobody can stop you from covering someone else's song. Also, that would go through Lady Gaga's publisher, not her manager. And publishers will sign off on pretty much anything, because it's their job to exploit the songs they own.
Way_Moby
Obsessed

Post by Way_Moby »

weirdojace wrote:It would be much easier to get permission for the polkas, because all Al needs to do is buy the license to use the lyrics. And legally, nobody can stop you from covering someone else's song. Also, that would go through Lady Gaga's publisher, not her manager. And publishers will sign off on pretty much anything, because it's their job to exploit the songs they own.
That's true, unless you're someone like Prince. I'm sure the song publisher would LOVE to get that extra royalty for "Polka Face." $ $$$ $
HappyGilmore
Obsessed

Post by HappyGilmore »

mrmeadows wrote:That's cool. Sounds like Gaga has the right mindset about the parody. . .it makes fun of her, but in an odd way simultaneously defends her.
Yeah. I was gonna say the same thing overall.

Plus it does seem like she has some semblance of a sense of humor. I mean, she did do a Digital Short with Justin Timberlake and Andy Samberg (yeah, the reprised their two dudes again).

I like her though, so eh.