Polka Face!

Moderator: Moderators

minnick27
Off The Deep End

Re: New Polka 2010

Post by minnick27 »

Well Im guessing he chose to bookend it because it is different. Different parts each time, I think the end was just him doing the very end of the song with P P P P Polkaface
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

Just heard Polka Face. Pretty good, hard to tell on first listen. Will have to hear how everything is mixed on the album since so much of the polka is based on the details. At first listen, the best part is "Blame It." I think he also underutilized "Down."
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
FredHuggins
Obsessed

Post by FredHuggins »

I just heard it too. HOLY GOD IT IS FANTASTIC, even in its poorly-recorded bootleg form. I was skeptical upon reading the list of songs I mostly don't care for, but as always, he made EVERY LAST ONE not only bearable, but fun as hell. Al knocked this one out of the park, out of town, off the planet and into a galaxy far far away. This might just be his best polka yet. Too many great bits to mention, but my absolute favorite part had to be when he turned "Replay" into an ingenious Spike Jones reference.

Incidentally, Al has bookended a polka with the same song twice before - just not on an album. When he performed "Polka Party!" live in concert on the 1987 Monkees tour, he jettisoned "Papa Don't Preach" in favor of Wang Chung's "Everybody Have Fun Tonight" and ended with a brief refrain of "Sledgehammer." He also performed it this way on the MTV New Years Eve Ball.
Big Spoon
Welp.
Awards: - Most Dedicated Non-Spoiler (2007)
- Best GC Thread (2010)
- Best TTR Skit (2010)
- Outstanding Achievement In Fan Parody (Recorded), Shared With The Rest Of The Minor Celebrities (2015)

Post by Big Spoon »

Just watched a video of this. Sounds awesome!
And Peggy
JEDM
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by JEDM »

Watching/Listening to this video now. I'm already impressed. I love it.
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

I think "Womanizer" and "So What" go on slightly too long and the other guitar riff from So What would have made a great little accordion part, but this is just nitpicking on my part.
Final judgment withheld until I hear the studio version, but I definitely think this is absolutely amazing and yes possibly his best polka.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
oddaustin
Regular

Post by oddaustin »

Yeah, sounds pretty great. I just really hope the studio version doesn't actually start and end with Poker Face, hopefully just one or the other. It just kind of throws off the whole system having it be that way.
amzo39
Off The Deep End
Awards: Everything

Post by amzo39 »

Baby baby baby

Awesome.
Was in the shower when it got leaked. almost spinned my ankle & dead with my head crack opened #StealMyGirlLeaked #StealMyGirlIsPerfect
FredHuggins
Obsessed

Post by FredHuggins »

I just really hope the studio version doesn't actually start and end with Poker Face, hopefully just one or the other. It just kind of throws off the whole system having it be that way.
I disagree. It balances it, and justifies him naming the entire medley after a pun based around just one song.
Interrobang
Die-hard Fan

Post by Interrobang »

Yeah, I think this polka is awesome. It's probably my second or third favorite, possibly behind Polkamon and Polkas on 45, although it may get higher or lower in position when I hear the official released version and let it "sink in."

Also, why are we jumping to conclusions and already calling it Polka Face? Not to complain, I guess it's a good temporary name until we find out for sure what it's called, but personally I'm just going to refer to it was the new polka.
We're gonna yodel like it's 1999!

You weasel-faced dog boy!