Party In The CIA

Moderator: Moderators

CB Johnny
Addicted

Re: New Parody 2010

Post by CB Johnny »

It's already a decent enough tune. Al's vocal style will make it sound better. :D
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

Weird that everyone is on the "dump on Miley" bandwagon so hard. Whenever I go to a party, my friends put Party In The USA on repeat and everyone dances around to it. NO ONE at the party actually likes the song, of course, but everyone seems to have a sense of irony about it, I guess. I also don't think it's unlistenable. It has an extremely catchy chorus imo...
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
CB Johnny
Addicted

Post by CB Johnny »

Don't get me wrong, I'm with ya on that. It should be solid. Curious if the brewery is one verse for a theme that is...interwoven between verses?
weirdojace
Off The Deep End
Awards: I think I got Best Fan Parody when I was like 15.

Post by weirdojace »

A lot of people are dumping on Miley (eww) because it seems like most everybody here is programmed to hate everything on the hot 100, no matter what it is.

I don't think Miley Cyrus is bad. There, I said it. I don't think Hannah Montana is good, but I think the music she does outside of that is pretty decent. And "Party in the USA" is a perfectly fine pop song. Is it amazing? No. But I don't find it intolerable by any means.

But this always happens when Al parodies something new. Everybody here will go "Oh I've never heard this song, let me check it out... EWW!! GROSS!!! HORRIBLE POP MUSIC!!!" And they complain and complain and then finally shut up when Al's parody ends up being a good song.
Interrobang
Die-hard Fan

Post by Interrobang »

Party in the USA is an okay song. Personally, I don't like Can't Be Tamed.

Anyway, if it's true that Al's making a song "Party in the Brewery", I'm not sure how I feel about that. It would be a good concert-only song, but I don't know if such a song should be put on the latest album. Don't get me wrong, there's definitely a possibility it'll be very good, but I'm just not sure yet.

I guess we'll find out tonight if he's even going to do it.
We're gonna yodel like it's 1999!

You weasel-faced dog boy!
mrmeadows
Obsessed

Post by mrmeadows »

Just listened to the song (yeah, I hadn't heard it either. . .and I work for Disney!). It's about as bubblegummy as I expected it would be, but I think it's a perfect target for Al. The verse meter and chorus are about as ripe for some funny lyrics, set-ups/punchlines as any other song out there right now. I could totally see a "Complicated"-esque parody, as mentioned earlier, where it's a "Party" at various locations (one of which being a brewery), as there seems to be so many possibilities as to where this song could be taken. I hope we're looking at a full parody here, and not just a one-verse, concert-only throwaway.
Teh Dingo
Be jealous.
Awards: YOU'RE EITHER PANTSLESS OR YOU'RE AGAINST US

Post by Teh Dingo »

Wait....isn't Party in the USA already a parody of Modest Mouse's Float On? :blink:
You have quickly thought up such matchless phrase?
FredHuggins
Obsessed

Post by FredHuggins »

I hope this is a joke but I think (if it turns out to be true)it's all but certain that this will be a supporting parody on the new album and most definitely not "lead single material" (that is if it ends up in the album at all and isn't just a throwaway parody that Disney most likely denied him permission for)
First of all, it's definitely a supporting parody. Al always records his lead single in the VERY LAST recording session. If Al had recorded his lead single by now, the album would be out already. Second, Disney (and their subsidiary, Hollywood Records) aren't exactly marketing Miley as a squeaky-cIean kiddie act anymore, are they? They're turning her into an equally-marketable Gagaist sex object. I don't see why they would freak out over an Al parody at this point.
maybe it's just me, but for some reason I (being completely sick of the Miss Cyrus and her antics by this point) actually perfer "Party In The USA" to "Can't Be Tamed" simply because I found the latter tune FAR too pretentious...too gaudy...too heavily auto tuned and overall too Gaga-esque for my liking
I noticed a LOT more autotune on PITU (you can almost hear the buttons being pressed on "a Jay-Z song was o-o-on"). CBT had some autotune, sure, but I didn't notice it as much because it was the kind of artificial, robotic-y song where you'd EXPECT auto-tune. Both songs sound like they were composed by robots, but on PITU (a fun party jam, allegedly) the robots are out of their element.
I like the beginning, its something I can see Jim playing.
Me too, actually. The first five seconds or so, I think "hey, this isn't so bad." Then Miley opened her dumb mouth and torpedoed the whole enterprise.
most everybody here is programmed to hate everything on the hot 100, no matter what it is.
Dude, I WANTED to like this song and the song just plain wouldn't let me. It wasted every last ounce of goodwill I gave it. I really don't hate all pop music, I just hate THIS REPULSIVE SONG. But then, I hated Avatar too. I'm just out of touch with general consensus, I guess...
AlejandraDD
Obsessed
Awards: Most Violent Reaction to Someone Losing the Al-Man of the Year Award (The Tomato Awards)

Post by AlejandraDD »

Just heard Miley's song for the first time ever and I like it. But I love pop, so what do I know?

Hope Al does something awesome with it.
"Some nerds search Weird Al boards their whole lives and never meet anyone." - uwvark

2019: Fort Wayne, Kettering, Rochester Hills, Cleveland, Pittsburgh
https://www.concertarchives.org/alejand ... l-yankovic

AlFest 2009
Way_Moby
Obsessed

Post by Way_Moby »

FredHuggins wrote:Me too, actually. The first five seconds or so, I think "hey, this isn't so bad." Then Miley opened her dumb mouth and torpedoed the whole enterprise.
I actually thought the beginning, the first time I heard it, was "The Impression That I Get" by the Mighty Mighty Bosstones... Very ska-y!