Party In The CIA

Moderator: Moderators

TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Re: [SPOILER] Party In The CIA

Post by TMBJon »

Bruce the Duck wrote:See I don't really find this to be political at all, at least no more political than, say, "Spy Hard". The CIA is a government organization that has no political affiliation. You could argue that one side or the other supports the CIA more than the other, but I don't think that's fair to say anymore than saying that one side is more "patriotic" than another. And besides that, the song is very ambiguous, as it could easy be taken as pro or anti CIA depending on which lyric you're looking at.
I don't mean that the CIA itself is politicized in a traditional Democrats vs Republicans frame, but rather the fact that he is taking on subjects like Gitmo and waterboarding. He makes jokes at the expense of both sides of the foreign policy debate - the hawks and the doves - but there is definitely an anti-imperialism feel to the song (eg only torturing the people we don't like). I just like that he took a hot button "political" issue and made a song about it, just as he did with Trigger Happy and Don't Download This Song before.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

Okay, I see what you're saying then. It's definitely a great song. As a big fan of the original, this one took several listens to grow on me. It is true that it lacks the same irresistible quality that Miley's version has. I think partly because the chorus is different every time, making it tougher to sing along with, and also because of the key change (BTW, with this and TMZ, I finally understand what that means, as you can clearly hear the difference). But taken on it's own and not trying to compare it to the original, it's really a great song, and the video makes it even better.
mrmeadows
Obsessed

Post by mrmeadows »

The more I listen to this the more I like it. Could become my favorite on the album. . .definitely my favorite parody. This is the first of the new songs that I've been able to memorize successfully.

As far as Al changing up the chorus, doesn't he always do that? His parodies would be kind of lame if he just repeated the same lyrics/jokes for each chorus.
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

mrmeadows wrote:The more I listen to this the more I like it. Could become my favorite on the album. . .definitely my favorite parody. This is the first of the new songs that I've been able to memorize successfully.

As far as Al changing up the chorus, doesn't he always do that? His parodies would be kind of lame if he just repeated the same lyrics/jokes for each chorus.

He usually does that. Not always, but usually. And I'm not complaining about him doing it. Just saying that that is one of the reasons why it doesn't have the same irrestitible quality as the original.
Dumb N00b
Obsessed

Post by Dumb N00b »

TMBJon wrote:This song is amazing! I can't believe it: Weird Al has finally released a thoroughly political song. This is my favorite track on the album right now, after only one listen.
I'm with Jon here. The song isn't any more anti-Republican than it is anti-Democrat, but it's still political, in that it acknowledges all the coups the CIA has engineered over the years, and isn't exactly positive on them. Sure, it calls the institutions they topple "regimes" and "dictators," but it's written from a CIA perspective, so of course it would... insofar as South America is concerned, anyway, the heads of state who have perished at the hands of the CIA, or had such plots against them, were and are not in any sense dictators.
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by TMBJon »

Dumb N00b wrote:Sure, it calls the institutions they topple "regimes" and "dictators," but it's written from a CIA perspective, so of course it would...
Right, just as in DDTS when he says "they'll sue you like the evil hard-bitten criminal scum you are." This is from the song's narrator's perspective, and Al is wording it this way for ironic humor.
Dumb N00b wrote:I'm with Jon here.
Great, now if only you'd been with me during that last round of Survivor, this forum might be a totally different place. :F
Dumb N00b
Obsessed

Post by Dumb N00b »

TMBJon wrote: Great, now if only you'd been with me during that last round of Survivor, this forum might be a totally different place. :F
Sorries. I can make it up to you - wanna seize direct control of the means of administration of this forum? :ninja:

*And the shadow agents of Elvis slowly advance on us.*
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by TMBJon »

Dumb N00b wrote:Sorries. I can make it up to you - wanna seize direct control of the means of administration of this forum? :ninja:
Oh, do I.
Way_Moby
Obsessed

Post by Way_Moby »

I found a 27 reference in the video, if it hasn't been brought up. It's during the breakdown, it's on one of the cash registers.
Shelley
Addicted

Re: Party In The CIA

Post by Shelley »

By far my favorite parody on the album. Probably because I like the original so much, it's just such a happy bouncy dancy song. Somehow, Al makes the CIA happy bouncy dancy. Fun!

Shelley